Additional training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peachbubbles

Reaction score
Hi I’m just wondering what people would recommend with regards to acrylic nail courses.
I have 3 options:

1 Do I take a course via college and get my level 3 NVQ with VTCT.

2 Or do I learn through a private training company where I pay out..

Or 3 hope that an employer will want to teach me?

I’m new here and also newly qualified, so any advice would be great!

My vote would be the first option.

Either are good qualifications. I'd personally prefer the more thorough course to a short accredited one, I think there are better employment prospects if you hold a VTCT OR NVQ.

I agree first option as you will feel more confident with a longer program of study. Even if an employer trains you that may not equal a certificate you can take with you x

Thanks everyone, I’m going to stick with my VTCT course then. I’m wanting more in depth training [emoji106]

I'm going to throw in a different perspective, I did my L&P training with CND via SweetSquared, it's an independant training provider who has won countless awards for training over the years. It's intensive, expensive, but excellent. It really depends on what you are wanting to achieve. I aimed to open my business as soon as possible with the best training available, so a year long college course was not what I wanted or needed. Also when I trained 'nails' was just an element of the Beauty Therapy course, I didn't want to do all the other stuff. If you decide to go with an independent training provider, do your research, and avoid 1/2/3 day courses offering the world.

Never, ever, rely on someone else to train you, you may get great skills, you may not, but you have no formal qualifications. Whilst natural ability and learned skills are great, getting a job elsewhere could be difficult as you probably wouldn't make it past the first round of interviews as you have no provable qualifications.

I'm going to throw in a different perspective, I did my L&P training with CND via SweetSquared, it's an independant training provider who has won countless awards for training over the years. It's intensive, expensive, but excellent. It really depends on what you are wanting to achieve. I aimed to open my business as soon as possible with the best training available, so a year long college course was not what I wanted or needed. Also when I trained 'nails' was just an element of the Beauty Therapy course, I didn't want to do all the other stuff. If you decide to go with an independent training provider, do your research, and avoid 1/2/3 day courses offering the world.

Never, ever, rely on someone else to train you, you may get great skills, you may not, but you have no formal qualifications. Whilst natural ability and learned skills are great, getting a job elsewhere could be difficult as you probably wouldn't make it past the first round of interviews as you have no provable qualifications.

Thankyou Trinity, I’ll be honest these couple of day courses sound like they promise the world, but I do wonder how much you can learn in that time.. I think I’d struggle to take it all in.

The idea of relying on someone to train me and give me the time to learn within a salon fills me with worry, because I would be nervous they might not have the time to give.

At least if I attend college and study the dedicated course, I have the time to hone and get my skills up to salon standard. I know it won’t come over night but I will practise and throw all my time at it [emoji120]

Thankyou Trinity, I’ll be honest these couple of day courses sound like they promise the world, but I do wonder how much you can learn in that time.. I think I’d struggle to take it all in.

The idea of relying on someone to train me and give me the time to learn within a salon fills me with worry, because I would be nervous they might not have the time to give.

At least if I attend college and study the dedicated course, I have the time to hone and get my skills up to salon standard. I know it won’t come over night but I will practise and throw all my time at it [emoji120]

You've clearly thought about the options and it seems college is the best route for you, I'm sure you'll go far applying the level headed thinking you've already displayed. You're absolutely right about the 1/2/3 day training courses, as an example, when I did my training it took a whole day to teach us how to select, tailor, apply and blend tips - and it still took me weeks of practising to get it right. How a company can tell people they can teach you how to do it all in just one, or two days is beyond me.

Good luck, keep us updated how you get on :)

Latest posts

Back