Additives-eye safe?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautyandme

Reaction score
Not that I am planning on trying it but just wanted to know out of curiosity, are the additives safe to use around the eyes (have they been tested in this way) ?

Thanks

Not that I am planning on trying it but just wanted to know out of curiosity, are the additives safe to use around the eyes (have they been tested in this way) ?

Thanks

CND Additives, or any other cosmetic grade pigments, are safe to use on the eyes.

Craft grade pigments are not safe for use either on nails or eyes.

Hope that helps! They'd make fab eyeshadows! Have fun x

CND Additives, or any other cosmetic grade pigments, are safe to use on the eyes.

Craft grade pigments are not safe for use either on nails or eyes.

Hope that helps! They'd make fab eyeshadows! Have fun x

Me again! I think this is correct!! You may want to check the MSDS x

Actually, your first statement is not quite correct.
I have a background in cosmetics manufacture, and the fact that something is designated as safe for Cosmetic use, does not mean that it has been approved for use everywhere on the body.
As an example, several blue oxides and pigments used in the cosmetic industry are approved for use anywhere except for the lip and mouth area. There are many types of pigment- especially those with a very fine particle size and those that contain certain shimmer or sparkle particles, that are not recommended for use near the eyes, whether 'cosmetic grade' or not.

Many pigments are coloured with, or contain, FD&C dyes or Lake dyes which although approved for the cosmetic industry are only suitable for use in external cosmetics such as soaps, lotions and nail products. They are not recommended near eyes or lips.

I'm not home at the minute, to look at the particulars of the Additives, but it is easy enough to look up yourself by searching for the Colour Index (CI) number of each listed ingredient and finding out what it is approved for.

Of course, not being approved, or recommended, doesn't stop you from doing it, but I find it sensible to follow safety guidelines, especially when other people (ie clients) and not just yourself may be concerned x

Last edited:
Actually, your first statement is not quite correct.
I have a background in cosmetics manufacture, and the fact that something is designated as safe for Cosmetic use, does not mean that it has been approved for use everywhere on the body.
As an example, several blue oxides and pigments used in the cosmetic industry are approved for use anywhere except for the lip and mouth area. There are many types of pigment- especially those with a very fine particle size and those that contain certain shimmer or sparkle particles, that are not recommended for use near the eyes, whether 'cosmetic grade' or not.

Many pigments are coloured with, or contain, FD&C dyes or Lake dyes which although approved for the cosmetic industry are only suitable for use in external cosmetics such as soaps, lotions and nail products. They are not recommended near eyes or lips.

I'm not home at the minute, to look at the particulars of the Additives, but it is easy enough to look up yourself by searching for the Colour Index (CI) number of each listed ingredient and finding out what it is approved for.

Of course, not being approved, or recommended, doesn't stop you from doing it, but I find it sensible to follow safety guidelines, especially when other people (ie clients) and not just yourself may be concerned x

Thanks! I wasn't quite sure after that, as some pigments I have I can use on the eyes, which is why I put my second comment.

xx

Thanks! I wasn't quite sure after that, as some pigments I have I can use on the eyes, which is why I put my second comment.

xx

Most you can, especially because so many mineral based cosmetic products are multi-use. It's just worth being careful, as even MAC pigments, which are so popular as eyeshadows have shades which should not be used on eyes/lips x

Latest posts

Back