Adhesive over kill

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppercorn Nails

Reaction score
Question please

When I apply my tips to a nail I use Gelbond. I am then left with a squidge of adhesive over the natural nail which I immediately wipe away with some couch roll. However, I am normally left with a small residue. I Scrubfresh once I've blended my tips but obviously I have to be careful not to touch the tips in case of cracking.

Can this cause breakdown problems and if it can how can I sort it out?

Thank you
Dellie

I Scrubfresh once I've blended my tips but obviously I have to be careful not to touch the tips in case of cracking.

It doesn't cause cracking. You can use Scrubfresh to wipe over the tip whilst blending to see how it's coming along. Once blended give the nail a good rub, at least 5 seconds, concentrating on the cuticle area. Any adhesive residue will be wiped away.
Jane

Sorry that I must contradict you, Jane, but using Scrubfresh on the tip does definitely cause or lead to cracking of the tip. Dellie is quite right about that. And Creative teaching is never to use ScrubFresh on a tip while blending or after blending. ;) MIght have saved yousome grief there!!

Now to Dellies question:
Wiping off any excess adhesive and then using ScrubFresh to sanitise the natural nail plate will not cause break down if you touch the residue NOR will a tiny residue of adhesive left on the nail cause breakdown. But ...

One tip that I could give you when doing this job is to wipe any residue 'towards' yourself so you don't leave any on the nail. I always use NailTechs Choice gauze pads for this rather than couch roll or tissue, I find the 'course' surface picks up the adhesive more cleanly.

You should by now be using less adhesive as you learn how your product works and how much GelBond you need. Not much in reality, so there shouldn't be much 'squishing out' after tip application. ;)

Oops! Sorry Geeg, I stand corrected. That was the way I was taught so I've always done it that way, fortunately I've had no problems. But with constant R & D there are new and improved ways of doing things all the time.
Jane

wipe any residue 'towards' yourself so you don't leave any on the nail

Actually now you come to mention it, it probably would make so much more sense (duh :rolleyes: ).

You're right I don't use half as much gelbond now as I used to and I only apply it to the tip these days. However, I still squidge a worm (omg for want of a more technical word!!) along the whole of the well area.........am I still applying too much?

Dellie

Sounds like you are applying the right amount, but you should slways apply a 'slick' of adhesive to the natural nail as well. Tips stay on MUCH longer without any 'curling' of the natural nail underneath if you coat both surfaces. But you don't need loads!! Just a 'slick' on the natural nail.

I can't think of any good adhesive (for any purpose) that in the instructions does not say "apply adhesive to both clean and dry surfaces to be bonded together". This is a Creative teaching and it does work. You can apply to all 10 natural nails first and then apply your tips one by one.

It is natural for a little bit to squidge out ... after all you are lowering the tip onto the nail and squeezing out air and any excess adhesive. Some nail techs take a clean cuticle stick and scoop up the excess and apply it to the well of the next tip to be adhered! less waste.

oh what a nifty idea to use it on the next well I will have to give that a go thanks!!!!
smilieturtle.gif

Sorry Geeg, but when you say apply a 'slick' (better word ;) ) to the natural nail, do you mean from sidewall to sidewall or just a wee bit in the middle.

Adele

Peppercorn Nails said:
Sorry Geeg, but when you say apply a 'slick' (better word ;) ) to the natural nail, do you mean from sidewall to sidewall or just a wee bit in the middle.Adele

she means sidewall to sidewell Dellie!! :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back