Advanced Teeth Whitening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmcnaught0

Reaction score
Hi, has any one trained with this company or any other teeth whitening company? Do you offer success full results? Is it worth the investment?:D

No idea, but it's a disaster waiting to happen. And I don't care if insurance companies will cover it, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll wiggle out of it if a client sues.

I know many beauticians that do teeth whitening and there are loads of courses that accept beauticians ?

Doesn't make it right though, does it?
When i was nursing I would sometimes be asked to use products where there was research to suggest that we shouldn't (EUSOL, soaking thermometers in hibitane, etc). I was a darn sight more scared of the NMC than I was of the ward sister, and I told them so.
You've read the GDC ruling; are you going to deliberately flout it for the sake of a few quid? Really?

I trained a couple of years ago with a company who promised the earth and thank goodness I was left to my own devices after training. The reason I am grateful for that is the fact that I didn't get to treat the hundreds of people they promised I would. A few hundred less Law Suits waiting in the wings. LOL ( Did some treatments though so I have been fortunate that the product I used was not as aggressive a chemical as a lot of the cheap ones are)

I stopped advertising as soon as I started seeing all the horror stories and the last straw was when technicians were being fined PERSONALLY, not the company that trained them.

I hope you do loads of research before you take the plunge. I did find though that my product was not cheap and I couldn't compete with all the Groupon and Social Living offers. You can buy DIY teeth whitening kits from E-bay for less than £10.00 ( all illegal as they contain too much Peroxide) Incorrect whitening procedures using illegal product percentages can cause HUGE problems for the client, Especially destruction of the enamel, sensitive teeth, bleeding gums etc. Would you want to do a treatment and have it on your conscience that a lovely person now lives in constant pain because you wanted to make a few extra quid?

I wouldn't !

Good luck and I hope you make the right decision for you

I have done a bit of research and the companies I have looked at use a P3 machine, and when reading they dont state they use peroxide gel? Also there were loads of companies at the beauty show offering this. Surely if this was not safe why was the beauty show promoting these companies?

As a dental nurse I can clarify that only dentist are legally aloud to carry out tooth whitening.

I have lots patients come into my surgery having had tooth whitening done buy BT and like and seen the damage cause to their teeth by tooth whitening products applied by non dental professionals.

Most dentists I have worked for would never recommend tooth whitening themselves due the side effects it can cause in relation to the patients tooth enamal.

Last edited:
There is a man in my area who does laser teeth whitening for £49! He is mobile

I have done a bit of research and the companies I have looked at use a P3 machine, and when reading they dont state they use peroxide gel? Also there were loads of companies at the beauty show offering this. Surely if this was not safe why was the beauty show promoting these companies?

There are also lots of companies promoting uv sunbeds. There is a proven link between their usage and malignant melanoma. If you don't believe me I have uploaded a peer reviewed paper about it onto the salon geek Dropbox.

I'm honestly stunned and very disappointed that non dentists would even consider offering this. My main priority as far as my clients are concerned is their safety and comfort. Am I going to risk my reputation and, more importantly, their health and safety on a treatment where there is such controversy?
Until there is a definitive ruling on this I would advise you to steer clear.

You know hon, if your friends jump off a cliif are you the one who follows blindly? ( I don't mean to sound condescending or mean so I do apologise if I have offended you)

Yes these companies do advertise and promote their products at reputable venues but it's only because they hope to get new customers on board. And just as you have already said, others will also believe that it must be OK if they are at the beauty shows. Maybe there is only one in every 100 or whatever that do have a bad reaction but the problem with teeth whitening is that it can become addictive and customers come back all the time until they have bleeding gums or transparent teeth where the enamel is so damaged the lovely white becomes a ghostly grey. I have seen this and people still want more bleaching.
Just because they dont state that they use peroxide gel it doesn't mean that they don't !
Legally 0.1% is the allowed percentage but that is NOT enough to bleach anything really so other chemicals are added of which some when combined create even more damaging chemicals.

The loophole seems to be at the Trading Standards who state that Teeth Whitening is a cosmetic procedure so DIYers can have a go, but don't let that fool you. You could still get sued by an unhappy customer and I seriously doubt that your insurance will be worth the paper it is written in in these instances.

Get in touch with your local trading standards office and ask for them to send their documentation regarding Teeth Whitening services, I do have one but it is for Norwich and I am not sure if different areas have different documents. Go online and Google Teeth Whitening and the reviews but please read between the lines. You want the REAL reviews not the sales pitch ones.

There are many companies out there offering training but this brings to mind the similar problem Hair Dressers are having from half day or one day Hair Extension training courses. Customers losing their hair tc. How can you know all about hair from one day when hairdressers have spent years. How can you offer a dental procedure if you havent done your years of medical and dental training.

Would you recognise a gum disease, would you be capable of diagnosing it at the beginning stages?

My teeth whitening training was getting my teeth done, given a handout, watching the educator having a smoke break and getting my Certificate. No Contra-indications etc. were covered. It was all in the handout but many people dont bother with that once they have the certificate and insurance. Really scary.

Sorry for the long reply, it sounds to me as if you have almost made up your mind to go ahead, all I can ask is that you go into it with your eyes wide open and as educated as you can be so you can ask really pertinent questions at your training day.

Good luck and hope you come to the best decision

I feel I need to help clear this up....having researched into offering the treatment myself, I also was fortunate to speak online to a member of the GDC.

Outcome - Teeth whitening had been ruled as a cosmetic procedure. Therefore, as long as fully insured and trained, anyone can offer teeth whitening. Now heres the rules if you're not a dentist:
1. You can perform teeth whitening with a non peroxide gel only (Only dentists can use peroxide)
2. You can carry out whitening so long as you do not place your hands inside the customers mouth (You can use a swab to apply gel but cannot use your fingers to insert the mouth clamp thing - the customer must do this themselves.)

So in short, if you do want to (as a beautician or non dental practitioner) perform teeth whitening, u can do so with a non peroxide.

A lot of people I know make a great living using non peroxide gels.

I feel I need to help clear this up....having researched into offering the treatment myself, I also was fortunate to speak online to a member of the GDC.

Outcome - Teeth whitening had been ruled as a cosmetic procedure. Therefore, as long as fully insured and trained, anyone can offer teeth whitening. Now heres the rules if you're not a dentist:
1. You can perform teeth whitening with a non peroxide gel only (Only dentists can use peroxide)
2. You can carry out whitening so long as you do not place your hands inside the customers mouth (You can use a swab to apply gel but cannot use your fingers to insert the mouth clamp thing - the customer must do this themselves.)

So in short, if you do want to (as a beautician or non dental practitioner) perform teeth whitening, u can do so with a non peroxide.

A lot of people I know make a great living using non peroxide gels.

So howcome this then?

Defendant pleads guilty in tooth whitening case

Did he use peroxide?

How effective is non peroxide?

I'm not to sure in all honesty but from what I can gather is that the best results are from peroxide so although you'll get good result from a non peroxide, you won't go Simon Cowell white.

I've had the non-peroxide gel used in my teeth whitening clinics & ive had no problems, no sensitivity nothing! It took my teeth from a shade 30 to an 8 in 1 session! Also, the lady that does the teeth whitening even said herself that it's against the law to use peroxide formular if your not a qualified dentist xxxxxx

I've read some training websites, and it said something along the lines of do we offer non peroxide whitening?
No- peroxide is needed to get results. (Something along those lines)

But I was considering getting a beauty lady to do my teeth-so I will definatly be checking she doesn't use peroxide!

I also looked up tips to whiten teeth at home and baking soda and 3% peroxide was advised as "safe" what u could buy from a local chemist (haven't tried) and I am now glad!

Xx

How effective is non peroxide?

With the product I used we used to tell customers that their teeth will revert to it's natural color. So if your teeth are for instance a #16 on the color chart but your natural color is a #10 you will be able to get back to that with one or maybe more treatments depending on how stained they are.
I drink lots of coffee and red wine, so mine were quite stained ( not like a tobacco chewing Peruvian though:D) so with one treatment my teeth lifted 14 shades which I was very pleased with, they state that it doesn't bleach, just lifts the stains

It does work but not as good as bleach, and it is still a chemical being pasted all over your teeth.

PS. I spoke to a dental nurse at at event I had a stand at and she told me they use 15% peroxide for their treatments. I wonder if Dentists are allowed to use higher percentages as the trading standards paperwork I have states 0.1% to be the legal limit

Latest posts

Back