Advantages of BIAB?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leanejayne

Reaction score
Could someone go through the advantages? What does it actually do?
I’m trained on hard gel... is it just the same but in a bottle? Sorry i must sound so dumb but I want all facts before I make a big jump on brands!!!
Thanks in advance!

I'd be interested to know this too! Seen it used but what's it like strength wise? Is it comparable to hard gel in strength or more like fibreglass?

It's exactly what the label says - a builder gel in a bottle - most builder gels come in traditional pots and you need a gel brush to apply. There was a view that it was easier to use from a bottle like gel polish with a polish brush so BIAB was devised.

I'd be interested to know this too! Seen it used but what's it like strength wise? Is it comparable to hard gel in strength or more like fibreglass?

Gel, much stronger than resin for fibreglass

I've used it on me, I got a massive heat spike which was very unpleasant. That said I have very thin nails so am very heat spike sensitive.

I have been using BIAB instead of "traditional" hard gel since October 2017. I was finding that after 2 or 3 infills the hard gel was becoming quite brittle and despite careful prep and application, there was usually some Lifting. Removing hard gel is a real pain and I hadn't been overly impressed with the soakable hard gel I tried. I had been reading all about how wonderful BIAB was for some time so I decided to give it a try, although I was a bit concerned that they no longer sold a specific lamp to cure it.

I tried it out on myself and my friends, family and regular clients that were up for it and we were all really, really impressed!

The consistency is more like a very thick gel polish than traditional hard gel so it's worth flash curing 1 or 2 nails at a time to stop it sliding into the sidewalls, but you soon get used to it. I love using the various nude shades as they make a lovely base for colours (they don't detract from any of the colours either) and they can be used on their own, but the really good part is when you're infilling you can clearly see when you have removed the gel polish, which isn't so easy with a clear product.

BIAB is a dream to file yet it is so strong and it doesn't get brittle with age and Lifting is very rare, so long as your prep is good. It lasts so well and the majority of my clients only come back because of regrowth, bit because they've chipped or lifted. The other good point is that it can be soaked off in acetone, although I rarely need to do this as you can just infill over and over again as long as you debulk and rebalance.

I use it as an overlay over natural nails to give extra strength and also over tips for extensions. You can also sculpt with it. TGB say it's good for medium length extensions. I think if you want to do stiletto style tips or really long their Gel Pot would be more suitable.

TGB brought out their own lamp a few months ago. It has a very useful setting that cures slowly to start with which really helps to eliminate the heat spike that is common with BIAB.

I think it does live up to all the hype!

I used to use fibreglass and I think BIAB is much stronger, you can build an apex with it, unlike fibreglass and it's not as brittle and doesn't discolour like fibreglass

Thanks. Really tempted to try this out now!

I have been using BIAB instead of "traditional" hard gel since October 2017. I was finding that after 2 or 3 infills the hard gel was becoming quite brittle and despite careful prep and application, there was usually some Lifting. Removing hard gel is a real pain and I hadn't been overly impressed with the soakable hard gel I tried. I had been reading all about how wonderful BIAB was for some time so I decided to give it a try, although I was a bit concerned that they no longer sold a specific lamp to cure it.

I tried it out on myself and my friends, family and regular clients that were up for it and we were all really, really impressed!

The consistency is more like a very thick gel polish than traditional hard gel so it's worth flash curing 1 or 2 nails at a time to stop it sliding into the sidewalls, but you soon get used to it. I love using the various nude shades as they make a lovely base for colours (they don't detract from any of the colours either) and they can be used on their own, but the really good part is when you're infilling you can clearly see when you have removed the gel polish, which isn't so easy with a clear product.

BIAB is a dream to file yet it is so strong and it doesn't get brittle with age and Lifting is very rare, so long as your prep is good. It lasts so well and the majority of my clients only come back because of regrowth, bit because they've chipped or lifted. The other good point is that it can be soaked off in acetone, although I rarely need to do this as you can just infill over and over again as long as you debulk and rebalance.

I use it as an overlay over natural nails to give extra strength and also over tips for extensions. You can also sculpt with it. TGB say it's good for medium length extensions. I think if you want to do stiletto style tips or really long their Gel Pot would be more suitable.

TGB brought out their own lamp a few months ago. It has a very useful setting that cures slowly to start with which really helps to eliminate the heat spike that is common with BIAB.

Thank you so much for your reply... I think I’m sold... I asked how much the whole collection is to buy but I really can’t afford that just coming back of maternity lol.

Could you tel me if you NEED a base with the BIAB when on natural nails?
I don’t do extensions anymore.

I have used Halo BIAB and just use a bonder and mine don’t move at the moment... but I want all the polishes from TGB as they look to die for!!!!

Thank you again x

The coloured BIABs have Base coat already in them so you don't have to use a base coat underneath. The clear BIAB DOES need a base coat though. I would recommend getting Rubber Base Coat though as it's useful to use if you have clients with very weak or brittle nails. I'd also recommend getting Extreme Shine Top Coat. That way you're ready to just add colours as and when you can afford them. (I only started using their gel polish when they brought their lamp out and so I'm only just starting to build up colours, but I still use my other brands on top of BIAB). TGB do have sales quite regularly so worth keeping an eye on their Facebook page for announcements. You'd need a LOT of money to buy the whole collection!

Is it stronger than Gelish builder gel in a bottle ?

Is it stronger than Gelish builder gel in a bottle ?
I don't use Gelish so can't compare. Hopefully there will be someone who's tried both on here and can give you a comparison

How does the biab compare to ink London's flubber? Anyone have experience of both?

How does the biab compare to ink London's flubber? Anyone have experience of both?
Now that I can answer as I use both!
Unfortunately Flubber isn't as strong as BIAB. It is a very strong base coat though, so for clients who just want gel polish I always use that under iLac gel polish. You couldn't use it for extensions over a couple of mm though x

Bit the bullet and ordered £600 (after the offers) worth of gels [emoji85] my other half will wonder where the money has gone later [emoji13] xx

You’ve sold it to me with that testimonial!

Bit the bullet and ordered £600 (after the offers) worth of gels [emoji85] my other half will wonder where the money has gone later [emoji13] xx

Wow! Update us when you've had a chance to try it out. Did you get the lamp as well? X

Wow! Update us when you've had a chance to try it out. Did you get the lamp as well? X

No didn’t get the lamp.. I have a 48w led one already!! And I certainly will xx

No didn’t get the lamp.. I have a 48w led one already!! And I certainly will xx
I used my INK 48w lamp to start with as TGB weren't selling a lamp at the time. It's a powerful lamp and cures INK products beautifully but I never felt happy with the cure on TGB BIAB and all my clients were experiencing heat spikes so I bought TGB lamp the day it was released and it's made a huge difference! It also eliminates the heat spikes! It also gives me peace of mind knowing it's curing properly as I'm paranoid about developing an allergy! X

Sorry to jump on the band wagon a bit late but for those of you that have used this already would you recommend the Conversion Course that TGB offer or is it easy to get to grips with???
I’m trained in gel and L&p and I’d much rather spend the £209.00 conversion course fee on their products!

Sorry to jump on the band wagon a bit late but for those of you that have used this already would you recommend the Conversion Course that TGB offer or is it easy to get to grips with???
I’m trained in gel and L&p and I’d much rather spend the £209.00 conversion course fee on their products!

im not trained in hard gel im more of an acrylic gal but its sooooooo easy to use, ive currently got halo easi build on my nails and im in love with it x

Check with your insurance but I think you need a Gel Polish qualification to offer gel polish these days. You used to be covered if you'd been trained in Gel but I think some have changed their requirements

Latest posts

Back