advertising in yellow pages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dee

supernatural geek
Reaction score
cambridge,ON canada .. but originally from uk , lo
hi this is to all of you who have used the free line in the yellow pages, have you had any clients from it, same for the ones that put a box advert in, let me know coz i cant decide wether to put a box advert in, i have already spent a fortune on newspaper adverts and got hardly any response, thanks

I ahve just taken out a box advert butonly because they had a discount going, I still dont know if yellow pages is any better than the monthy newspaper

Bodacious said:
I ahve just taken out a box advert butonly because they had a discount going, I still dont know if yellow pages is any better than the monthy newspaper
how much do you pay for a box advert? where do you get the details for the freebie ad from?

Yellow pages always give a discount to new advertisers in their first year, the second year is less discount and so on until you pay with no discount.

To Carole - the price depends on your area - contact yellow pages and they will tell you - the free line is available to anyone who has a business as far as I know.

I have tried various forms of advertising and the YP is the best for me - probably 80% of my new business comes from there.

Turn the tables round and if you were new to an area or lived there a while and you were looking for a hairdresser or a plumber or whatever, where would you look - local paper, monthly magazine or YP.

Hi

I think that if you live in quite a populated area then it's worth the outlay. However I live in a small village, quite far from other towns so I dont think it would be worth it for me. I was quoted about |£140, including disounts of about 50% for a boxed advert.
I didn't know that I could have a free line though.

All the best
Jane

Ive just confirmed my ad which goes in the August issue i think i paid about 120 pounds not sure but know im paying monthly about 14 pound, im quite happy with the advert though so hopefully i will be happy with the outcome x xx

I've recently gone on yell.com with an enhanced listing (you can get a free listing there too) and also 118 24 7. I honestly couldn't say whether it brings me any new business (I guess I should ask my clients) but it does bring me a load of rubbish through the post and pesky phone calls from companies trying to sell me stuff!!!

If you log-on to yell.com, there is a step-by-step guide on how to obtain a free listing. I have just recently joined them. I received the business directory today though and was disappointed not to be able to find 'nail technicians'. I've only had a brief look, so perhaps I've not done so properly. With a free entry, you certainly cannot lose!

I have found my free one-liner to be nothing but a pain in the ****
I got just one client from it ... then 2 others came from her.
I also got a couple of lovely classy looking free pens with my business name on it but apart from that, I have had ...
A marketing company trying to link me to a local bridal shop ... for a small outlay :rolleyes:
Been inundated by people trying to sell me tanning/slimming/hair removal equip.
Pestered by loan companies.
Inundated by junk mail...
And today, the best one of all. I was called by someone saying that she was linked to the local hospital and did I want to be part of their staff benefit scheme ... again for a small fee.
Dont want to put the dampers on it for ya but, just be prepared to get a load of baloney along with the clients ;)

i can't agree with u more glorsclaws
this is my BIGGEST bugbear in the salon.
junk mail, u can at least digest & chuck out at your leisure, but the people who ring me up, sometimes i have a couple a day, are getting craftier by the day.
a few days ago, my receptionist took a call from someone asking if they had our correct postal address & postcode.
as we have recently moved, she thought nothing of giving out these details.
what gave them away was they asked for the name of the proprietor.
about an hour afterwards, i took a call from someone who claimed that they represented a company to do with some kind of internet business directory.
very quickly she launched into a range of questions including how many staff do i have, & which services/products do we offer/use.
i stopped her in her tracks & asked her exactly why was she phoning me.
she proceded to tell me that i was on their books for the internet business directory, & proceded to confirm my address & postcode & my name.
suddenly i remembered the phone call earlier & i told her that i hadn't asked for her business or her cold calls, which were wasting my time.
she was very aggressive & persisted in telling me that we were on her books.
i become v.frustrated & told her that i didn't require her services, had never asked for them, & hung up.
it saddens me to have to resort to being rude on the phone, something that goes against the grain.
however, when u r just starting up your business, it is sometimes ness. to advertise in publications like the y.p.
but be prepared also for the cold calls from these people.
i think we should set up a top 10 of the most common companies who use these methods!
i'll start us off;
private health companies.
internet business directories.
childrens charities.
hospital charities.
mobile phone companies.
& so on.............
liza xx

oh poo i never even thought of all that rubbish that comes along with it, i get tons of them at home , they do my head in , i had one guy today and after telling him no thank you not interested ! he only phones me back saying the line was cut off! :eek: i dont know how they do that job it would drive me nuts, oh well i suppose i will just have to cope :cry:

NailNovice2 said:
If you log-on to yell.com, there is a step-by-step guide on how to obtain a free listing. I have just recently joined them. I received the business directory today though and was disappointed not to be able to find 'nail technicians'. I've only had a brief look, so perhaps I've not done so properly. With a free entry, you certainly cannot lose!
I've just put my free entry in so i'll wait with anticipation. Do you know how long it will be before it appears in a directory? How will i know when its in one and on yell.com??

liza smith said:
i can't agree with u more glorsclaws
this is my BIGGEST bugbear in the salon.
junk mail, u can at least digest & chuck out at your leisure, but the people who ring me up, sometimes i have a couple a day, are getting craftier by the day.
a few days ago, my receptionist took a call from someone asking if they had our correct postal address & postcode.
as we have recently moved, she thought nothing of giving out these details.
what gave them away was they asked for the name of the proprietor.
about an hour afterwards, i took a call from someone who claimed that they represented a company to do with some kind of internet business directory.
very quickly she launched into a range of questions including how many staff do i have, & which services/products do we offer/use.
i stopped her in her tracks & asked her exactly why was she phoning me.
she proceded to tell me that i was on their books for the internet business directory, & proceded to confirm my address & postcode & my name.
suddenly i remembered the phone call earlier & i told her that i hadn't asked for her business or her cold calls, which were wasting my time.
she was very aggressive & persisted in telling me that we were on her books.
i become v.frustrated & told her that i didn't require her services, had never asked for them, & hung up.
it saddens me to have to resort to being rude on the phone, something that goes against the grain.
however, when u r just starting up your business, it is sometimes ness. to advertise in publications like the y.p.
but be prepared also for the cold calls from these people.
i think we should set up a top 10 of the most common companies who use these methods!
i'll start us off;
private health companies.
internet business directories.
childrens charities.
hospital charities.
mobile phone companies.
& so on.............
liza xx

Liza speak to the Preference Service (you find them on the web) - and they will remove you from any cold call selling lists - it takes about 30 days but it works!

Carole Lindsay said:
I've just put my free entry in so i'll wait with anticipation. Do you know how long it will be before it appears in a directory? How will i know when its in one and on yell.com??

Carole, they should tell you which month your yellow pages comes out - I know my one is April.

It should be on Yell.com within a couple of days.

naturalnails said:
Carole, they should tell you which month your yellow pages comes out - I know my one is April.

It should be on Yell.com within a couple of days.
Thanks a lot, Fiona: i'm so excited now! I've also got my first ad coming out today in a local school's newsletter so on way to pick up a copy - fingers crossed!!

Hi Dee, I have been advertising for 7 years now and I find the return from local papers to be VERY low indeed. Yellow pages has been very fruitful and I have increased the size of my ad every couple of years and now have it in colour. They have just introduced a NAIL SALON section in certain areas in Scotland and I was told this would be happening throughout the UK (the new books are all printed at various times dependant on your area). One other thing you might like to try is a mailshot to the areas around you, this was excellent for me at the start when no-one knew of us. Don't use a local paper to do your drop though it is much better when it is delivered singly (not with other junk). Good luck!

cheers for that louise, i'm onto it!
liza xx

Hi there Dee. Just like Liza the only thing I got with my Yellow Pages free listing was a never ending barage of sales calls, on one day alone I had.. wait for this.... 17 calls!!! my clients were complaining they couldn't get through to me! I had calls from every charity within a 50 mile radius and in the end I started getting quite angry with them on the phone and said to one chap 'I've opened a business, not won the lottery'! xx

Jo Jo said:
Hi there Dee. Just like Liza the only thing I got with my Yellow Pages free listing was a never ending barage of sales calls, on one day alone I had.. wait for this.... 17 calls!!! my clients were complaining they couldn't get through to me! I had calls from every charity within a 50 mile radius and in the end I started getting quite angry with them on the phone and said to one chap 'I've opened a business, not won the lottery'! xx
See above JJ about the PPS service...

After being pestered endlessly by the sales guy for Y.P. cos I said I didnt want to take my ad out again, I thought Id finally heard the last from Y.P.
New book came yesterday .... and my one line ad is still in :eek:
I told them several times on the phone that I didnt want it.
Has anyone else had this happen ... they cant make me pay for it surely as I didnt ask for it ... or can they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back