Advertising my new business, help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portnus

Reaction score
Hi Nail Geeks

I have started my own business as a Nail Technician in August 06 working from my home salon in Sheffield, i am finding it really difficult to get clients rolling in. I have distributed 5000 flyers out in the local paper and had just 2 phone calls from them!! I am offering free nail art with the 1st full set and at competitive prices. I have also put ads on the Sheffield forum and posters in pubs/post offices shops etc but don't get any clients.

Any tips for a struggling newby nail tech???

NAT-URAL NAILS
BABTAC Nail Technician

This scares me as I have just received all my products needed to get going... Tomorrow the business cards and flyers will be dispatched...
If you have any good ideas then please let me know...

One thing that might help me is that the 2 salons on the High Street here are closed on Sundays.. I hope that I get all their business.:)

Good luck lady.

:hug:

where abouts in Sheffield are you??

One of the best places i would think to advertise is hair salons.
I have seen two local hair salons open up a nail bar & whenever i drive past there is always someone having their nails done. You might even get some work in the salon from it.

Also schools and nuserys usually have notice boards why not ask there to.

Hi hun... dont be dissheartened by this ... the 1 st year is alway the hardest and so perservierance is the key... so you put 5000 leaflets in papers thats good but try going out onto the streest in ya uniform with some leaflets that way you can talk 121 to people and explain what ya do and take ya appointment book to say you are taking bookings now for xmas... this is a great free way of advertising....xx

I'm in Waterthorpe near Crystal Peaks Shopping Centre, You know it?

Thanks for the school idea thees one down the road! duh!!

Nat

I work full time in an office on Ecclesall Road and work mobile doing nails evenings and weekends - live in Rotherham tho so you dont have competition from me!!!! Have you been into Crytsal Peaks and put the word about - haven't been shopping there in years so dont no whether there's already beauty salon there???

well I am not a nail tech yet but I am a business owner and I went through the same thing. Your biggest help will be to establish "friendships" with othe beauty type business places. By you promising to reccomend them have them reccomend you, you know you scratch my back I'll scratch yours (with some very lovely nail I might add:green: ) Anyways make sure your number is in the yellow pages and possibly register with yellow pages.com. It's really hard getting a fledgling business off and thats when most go belly up. Just advertise you butt off and try to come up with a catch phrase or something to be appealing to your future costomers. The name of your business is also crutial. Where I live there are four main NSS salons they are Sandy Nails, Lovely Nails, USA Nails, and the one inside Walmart. The one that does the best business Lovely Nails, and they absoultly SUCK!

Try passing on info to your friends to hand amung their friends and pass them on to colleagues, this way your partly sure their gettint to the people that are likely to come to you x

Hi, don't lose heart :hug:

I placed an advert in our local advertising booklet that promotes local businesses, but putting an ad in the local press would work just as well, or if you have a free paper that would be good.

My ad stated an introductory offer for a set of nail extensions or a luxury manicure for just £5! I advertised this for one weekend only. I realised that a lot of people would come just for the offer but my main priority was to get myself known, not necessarily to make a profit as I hoped this would come from the offer. Since I did that at the begining of June, I have about 20 clients a week (at full price) most of whom have not had nails before and are thrilled! From that one ad I've had lots of people that have come from recommendations, so it was really worth it. I am now opening my own salon (tomorrow aaargh!) and looking forward to my new venture!

The other thing one of my friends did was have a table at an indoor car boot sale! She did sample nails and nail art and got bookings that way which worked for her but I am not sure of the legalities of that.

Hope this helps.

I also have recently started to work from home. So far my best investment was giving all the girls in my local hairdressers vouchers for a free pedicure. Two of the girls came and have so far sent me five clients. I have done all sorts of advertising and received almost no clients. Word of mouth has to be one of the best ways of getting known.

All the other calls I have had have been from Thompson and Yell.com. I believe you can get a free advert with them both.

Good luck
Anne

Hi Nail Geeks

I have started my own business as a Nail Technician in August 06 working from my home salon in Sheffield, i am finding it really difficult to get clients rolling in. I have distributed 5000 flyers out in the local paper and had just 2 phone calls from them!! I am offering free nail art with the 1st full set and at competitive prices. I have also put ads on the Sheffield forum and posters in pubs/post offices shops etc but don't get any clients.

Any tips for a struggling newby nail tech???

NAT-URAL NAILS
BABTAC Nail Technician

Hiya

Behind meadow hall is two beauty trade suppliers maybe you could pop a card up there

cheers pals lots of ideas for me to get started on.

you can put a an advert in yellow pages for free but it;s just a listing- still worth it though.

nat

dont get disheartened. When i first went mobile, i put out 1000 flyers and got 2 people from them. All my customers have been from word of mouth. i now work 6 days a week and at least 5 evenings on top of that, but its taken a little while to build up. but it can be done, so keep going and you will soon have a full diary. hope all goes well for you.

Took a couple of flyers to the infant and junior school down the road, so see if i get anyhting from these. fingers crossed.

xx

Great subject, its good and well enough to have the qualifications, but how do we get the clientle?

from past expereince, there is nothing like word of mouth, be smily, be yourself, and be professional. Talk to 1 freind and she/he will talk to another.

The key, dont give up, give yourself time

Wish me luck too, im about to start the process too

Good Luck Titi

No more suggestions I'm affraid! Just wanted to wish you luck:hug:

Latest posts

Back