Advertising on my house?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel bell

Reaction score
Hello, so i work from my home, and was thinking of the idea of putting, either a poster size advert on my detatched home to advertise to those passing by, or an A board on my drive. Has anyone done this? And is their anything legal that i need to check 1st, besides my neighbours [emoji4]

Check your home insurance, if you advertise on your car you need to have business insurance, you might need to change your insurance.

I'd also be aware of doing it, you'll have people knocking on the door all hours of the night and day. People have no respect for personal time. You'll see posts on here about people having phone calls in the middle of the night and door bells ringing early mornings, etc.

Generally you can only have a small size with just the business name on your door/gate. Your council website should have the details about what size. As soon as you add any description it becomes an ‘advertising’ board that needs planning permission.

Definitely check with planning.

Thankyou both for your advice most helpful

Usually a sign you put out during your opening hours, and bring in again at night is permitted. Obviously you mustn’t block the pavement. There might be size guidelines on your local Council

options include fixing permanent brackets on a garden fence or gate to hang a sign that you put out and bring in again, a board that you place on a chair outside or lean against the window inside, a sign on a blind that you pull down during working hours.

Signs that aren’t permanently fixed can be a fun way to communicate your brand. I used to have an ornate metallic picture frame with a Perspex white sheet “picture” that I used to write on, that I would hang from the railing outside.

just be aware of public safety. Make sure your sign is secure and not a danger to anyone that might brush past it - including couriers delivering large boxes of stock.

Latest posts

Back