Advertising opportunity - Good or bad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
I have been approached by a local estate agent about advertising in their brochure/handout stuff that they give out to clients who ask for house particulars.

This is for a credit card sized add for 12 months and it works out at just under £25 per month.

Anyone ever done anything like this - was it good, or would you steer clear?

Never done anything like it matey but......i dont think i would either. (sorry:cry:)

Only advertising thats ever paid of for me is yellow pages.

Done the local village rags, church magazines etc and never got anything off it.

Amb x

Totally agree with Amber. I had four months in our local village newsletter that goes EVERYWHERE and didn't get a single call. Yell.com and their directory enquiries have been my best bet. My hubby has doubled his business in the last 3 months using the free Yell listing.

HTH :hug:

That still adds up to £300 for the year Fiona and judging by what Amber and Sals have said above, Yellow Pages appears to yield better results than local advertising.

I don't think it is a good opportunity Fiona - the target audience is very limited to those interested in buying or perhaps selling.

I would invest the money elsewhere. Why not approach the local Post Office and see if they have any marketing deals. Sorry I am not of much help x

I have been approached by a local estate agent about advertising in their brochure/handout stuff that they give out to clients who ask for house particulars.

This is for a credit card sized add for 12 months and it works out at just under £25 per month.

Anyone ever done anything like this - was it good, or would you steer clear?
Putting my advertising (work) hat on...
I would be asking them how many copies of the brochure they distribute and what the readership quantity is.

Does the cost incl VAT?

Do they add your advert to their website?

hth's

IMO I'd say 'no' to this Fiona. I think it is helluva expensive in an estate agents brochure and what's more, I personally don't think people really study those brocures closely at all. After all, they are on the hunt for a house, not a nail tech. I really think your money would be better spent in yellow pages or yell.com.

Sorry if this sounds negative. Don't mean to be. xx

My honest opinion....no.

I did the same sort of ad with a brouchure for a doctors surgery. I thought it would be a good idea as 'everyone' goes to the doctor at some time or another:lol: Having spent a fortune (was for two years), I have only ever that one referral:rolleyes:

Yellow pages and word of mouth are the best imho. I would spend the money of perhaps increasing the ad you currently have in Yp. I now have a box ad under both Nail Technicians and Beauty....it's worked for me.

My honest opinion....no.

I did the same sort of ad with a brouchure for a doctors surgery. I thought it would be a good idea as 'everyone' goes to the doctor at some time or another:lol: Having spent a fortune (was for two years), I have only ever that one referral:rolleyes:

Yellow pages and word of mouth are the best imho. I would spend the money of perhaps increasing the ad you currently have in Yp. I now have a box ad under both Nail Technicians and Beauty....it's worked for me.

Oops Louise, I have just done this and am just waiting for them to be printed LOL. I will let you know how it goes - appointment cards and patient brochure.

Oops Louise, I have just done this and am just waiting for them to be printed LOL. I will let you know how it goes - appointment cards and patient brochure.

I hope you have better luck than I did.:):hug:

My honest opinion....no.

I hope it wasnt with a company called Leisure Medical. If you are approached by these people steer well clear. They stung me well and proper and after speaking to the other 4 nail/beauty salons advertising on the same card as me:eek: (after being told i was the only one) 2 of the salons were taking Leisure medical to court. It took them nearly 6 months to produce the card but still took my money from the bank well before it was due.

i have never had one referral from my cards at the local surgery and have since found out that the docs only hand out cards to people who have ongoing treatment i'e pregnant ladies, diabetics etc etc.

With regards to the estate agents I would steer clear too. IMO House buying is exciting but all your interested in is the price of the house and all its particulars.

Sorry to be negative but like the others I think this would be a waste of time. £300 a year is quite a lot of money and the likely audience is going to be interested in finding a house and not much more.

Y Pages & Thompson work, and w.o.m. Give it a miss imo x

Thank you all for your input - I have cancelled the appointment which was for tomorrow.

i went with leisure medical too :eek: i was meant to be the only one and there were 4 more on the appointment card , total waste of a lot of money !! never had 1 client from it
i would spend money on websites now , as my freeweb one has got me the most clients and it hasnt cost me a thing :lol:
yellow pages didnt work for me either ,
sorry hun x

I hope it wasnt with a company called Leisure Medical. If you are approached by these people steer well clear. They stung me well and proper and after speaking to the other 4 nail/beauty salons advertising on the same card as me:eek: (after being told i was the only one) 2 of the salons were taking Leisure medical to court. It took them nearly 6 months to produce the card but still took my money from the bank well before it was due.

i have never had one referral from my cards at the local surgery and have since found out that the docs only hand out cards to people who have ongoing treatment i'e pregnant ladies, diabetics etc etc.

With regards to the estate agents I would steer clear too. IMO House buying is exciting but all your interested in is the price of the house and all its particulars.

I'm afraid it was the same company. Have also got stung by Vardis (but thats another story:lol:). Lets just say I was very nieve when I first started out.....NOT ANY MORE:)

Personally I wouldn't I'd rather post fliers as it has a better effect and it's cheaper but that's just my opinion. xxx

There are pros and cons to every form of advertising. You can only make a decision when you know all the facts. Like previous posts - how many people get these brochures, how often, from what areas? etc etc. Advertising does work when done in the right way, you just need to research what way that is for you.

Latest posts

Back