Advertising troubles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebekahsBeauty

Reaction score
Hi ladies :)...

Im having a few problems and confusions with Advertising for spray tans ive had 3 unknown clients come through on the free listing on yell.com Which is good! Ive advertised on many other free websites.

i went down my local shopping centre and gave about 30 leaflets out , went down 2 roads near my area to give out leaflets. and i havent got no clients from the roads,or shopping place im wondering if its really worth putting them through peoples doors does this work for you?
Could anyone share with us & me what advertising option works best for you? as its stressing me qwite a bit as i need more clients in xx thank you!:green:

i went down my local shopping centre and gave about 30 leaflets out , went down 2 roads near my area to give out leaflets. and i havent got no clients from the roads,or shopping place im wondering if its really worth putting them through peoples doors does this work for you?
You have to give out a lot of leaflets in order to get a good response...

This is what Sassy said in her article about advertising...
Leaflet dropping - you are better to target the same smaller area three times than go for one hit on a larger area. Remember it’s considered a good response if you get feedback from 1-3% (ie for every 100 leaflets expect to get maybe one call). I have found that delivering on a Sunday when people are more relaxed and have no other post delivered is best. Also make your leaflets look good, I used full colour postcaards from Vistaprint and it definitely made a difference.
http://www.salongeek.com/business/28153-sassy-guide-advertising-your-business.html

hth's

It takes time chick .... for every 100 leaflets posted....over half of them wont even be interested in tanning...then others will be but already have someone to do there tans....the rest might think ok for a special occasion.....so you might only get 10 from those 100 who actually are interested.

This time of year ain't good either....no parties, no money, rubbish weather....

I think people have to see your ads on a regular basis for them to work....do you have a local rag....? maybe place an advert in there instead.

Free ads are ok....but sometimes you have to fork out.

It takes time chick .... for every 100 leaflets posted....over half of them wont even be interested in tanning...then others will be but already have someone to do there tans....the rest might think ok for a special occasion.....so you might only get 10 from those 100 who actually are interested.

This time of year ain't good either....no parties, no money, rubbish weather....

I think people have to see your ads on a regular basis for them to work....do you have a local rag....? maybe place an advert in there instead.

Free ads are ok....but sometimes you have to fork out.

Yeah thats true.No we dont have any local mags :confused: I supose ill have to keep putting more out its very much touch and go with this kind of thing xx

maybe offering a small discount on their first tan might help, also leaving leaflets in ur local shops may help. free ads are brilliant as long as u know u have placed them, i.e random mr joe bloggs phoning to check ur details and u've never heard of the company.

maybe some A4 posters may help too. also pass business cards or ur flyers round family and friends for them to pass onto others.

:)

maybe offering a small discount on their first tan might help, also leaving leaflets in ur local shops may help. free ads are brilliant as long as u know u have placed them, i.e random mr joe bloggs phoning to check ur details and u've never heard of the company.

maybe some A4 posters may help too. also pass business cards or ur flyers round family and friends for them to pass onto others.

:)

Thanks for your help, i will be doing big leaflets for shop windows etc..

That was a dicount thing that she booked i had an offer between the 13th-20th of jan spray tan for 10.00 and she canceled that?? Why on earth wouldnt anyone want to take the offer up.. crazy lol x

Thanks for your help, i will be doing big leaflets for shop windows etc..

That was a discount thing that she booked i had an offer between the 13th-20th of jan spray tan for 10.00 and she canceled that?? Why on earth wouldnt anyone want to take the offer up.. crazy lol x

Not a problem, i have a bigger budget to play with a work and i'm quite pleased with what i came out with hehe :green:

Now that is crazy, i thought every girl loved a bargin :lol:

Not a problem, i have a bigger budget to play with a work and i'm quite pleased with what i came out with hehe :green:

Now that is crazy, i thought every girl loved a bargin :lol:

Aww i wish you luck with your advertising :green: At the moment i will be sticking to adverts in windows,through peoples doors, giving them out at local shopping centre and free net advertising.

But hopefully in febuary i wil be able to afford to get an advert in yell.com the higher one. And also pay to get my website listed high on google.
Which will flock people in Hopefully. xx

P.s Yes i know its crazy:smack: if someone offered me that well they wont have time to say goodbye on the phone as i would be round the house like a shot ready for my tan :lol: lol xx

It's quite scarey isn't it! You get all excited setting up your business, do a bit of advertising and expect the phone to ring off the hook ... only it never quite works like that. Being self employed takes a lot of hard graft and often many tears of frustration when things don't go quite according to plan.

Have you thought of doing a spray tan party? Spray tans are a real word of mouth treatment to advertise - so many people associate them with the orange glow of David ****inson etc. if you got some of your friends around together, gave them a tan each for a tenner (or even free if you feel you have to, it will get your experience and confidence up too) and arm them with your business cards to give out to friends and work colleagues. Tell them you'll give them a free tan for every new client they bring in (or maybe every 2 0r 3 if you think they wil bring a lot) and so the word keeps spreading. It could just work for you and at 16 you must have loads of friends that would queue up for this.

January and February are traditionally quiet times for the beauty industry so really put the footwork in now to get your name out there so when the weather picks up people have your number at their fingertips. Do take a look at the link Sandi gave above to my advice about advertising, there are som fab ideas there!

You could also advertise for valentine's - "going for that romantic dinner for two in your strappy little black number? Well look glowing with health with a professionally applied spray tan and feel a million dollars!"

Good luck hun, I don't think I'd have had the guts to start my own business at 16 - in fact i was still at school.

It's quite scarey isn't it! You get all excited setting up your business, do a bit of advertising and expect the phone to ring off the hook ... only it never quite works like that. Being self employed takes a lot of hard graft and often many tears of frustration when things don't go quite according to plan.

Have you thought of doing a spray tan party? Spray tans are a real word of mouth treatment to advertise - so many people associate them with the orange glow of David ****inson etc. if you got some of your friends around together, gave them a tan each for a tenner (or even free if you feel you have to, it will get your experience and confidence up too) and arm them with your business cards to give out to friends and work colleagues. Tell them you'll give them a free tan for every new client they bring in (or maybe every 2 0r 3 if you think they wil bring a lot) and so the word keeps spreading. It could just work for you and at 16 you must have loads of friends that would queue up for this.

January and February are traditionally quiet times for the beauty industry so really put the footwork in now to get your name out there so when the weather picks up people have your number at their fingertips. Do take a look at the link Sandi gave above to my advice about advertising, there are som fab ideas there!

You could also advertise for valentine's - "going for that romantic dinner for two in your strappy little black number? Well look glowing with health with a professionally applied spray tan and feel a million dollars!"

Good luck hun, I don't think I'd have had the guts to start my own business at 16 - in fact i was still at school.

Thank you so much your advice has given me a very good idea.

I was thinking of hireing like a small hall in my area for a few hours one night and get leaflets out for spray tan opening night for rebekahsbeauty, and charge like 8.00 0r 10.00 per tan gather everyone to the hall get a curtain across so i can do the spray tans there for that one night , i think this could certainly bring in many clients.

I have got some leaflets set up and waiting to get put out for valentines speical offer between the 10th-14th spray tan 12.00

I have read your advice page about advertising and infact printed it off that has also giving me a bunch of help.

thanks so much for your advice , do u think my idea is ok?xx

Aww i wish you luck with your advertising :green: At the moment i will be sticking to adverts in windows,through peoples doors, giving them out at local shopping centre and free net advertising.

But hopefully in febuary i wil be able to afford to get an advert in yell.com the higher one. And also pay to get my website listed high on google.
Which will flock people in Hopefully. xx

P.s Yes i know its crazy:smack: if someone offered me that well they wont have time to say goodbye on the phone as i would be round the house like a shot ready for my tan :lol: lol xx

My advertising is for bathroom showrooms in scotland, should have made myself more clearer hehe marketing is my full time job.

u should have a look at lycos and yahoo because they normally have links on there main pages to there advertising rates.

Thank you so much your advice has given me a very good idea.

I was thinking of hireing like a small hall in my area for a few hours one night and get leaflets out for spray tan opening night for rebekahsbeauty, and charge like 8.00 0r 10.00 per tan gather everyone to the hall get a curtain across so i can do the spray tans there for that one night , i think this could certainly bring in many clients.

I have got some leaflets set up and waiting to get put out for valentines speical offer between the 10th-14th spray tan 12.00

I have read your advice page about advertising and infact printed it off that has also giving me a bunch of help.

thanks so much for your advice , do u think my idea is ok?xx

you know what I think anything is worth a try - some things work and some don't, but if you don't try then you won't know. However I think something like this really needs personal invitations rather than general advertising. Think about how you'd feel being tanned by a complete stranger in a hall - don't think I'd be too keen. Plus you'd need to make sure it was nice and warm there.

Just bumping this up. Im thinking is it worth putting leaflets through peoples door or is it a waste of time?xx

Sitting doing nothing is a waste of time! Get out there and just DO IT!

Sitting doing nothing is a waste of time! Get out there and just DO IT!

agree here....if you do nothing ...you get nothing....if you want business ....you have to go out there hun and get it....good luck with it all xx

it takes people an average of 7 times to look at a leaflet that comes through their door before they think 'ah i'd like a spray tan'....

hth

Cheers guys! just got two bookins for next wednesday woo :green: xx

Its not just a case of pushing leaflets through doors, you have to make sure your advertisement is spot on, put it on here and we'll give you our opinions and when the client does phone up you have to make sure your telephone manners are perfect and you sell the tan to them.
I've delivered thousands of leaflets over the years and never got much back from it, possibly 2%.

For me, I found leaflets didn't do much. What got my business off the ground was putting up a flyer on community notice boards - there are 5 in my local area within a 12km radius.

I printed off a heap of A4 sheets with a coloured header on it exactly how I designed my business cards. Then I printed off hundreds of coloured business cards onto card. Then I cut them all up and stapled 6 cards onto each A4 piece of paper. I then put that A4 flyer on the notice board. People could just rip off one of the cards and put it in their wallet. At least once or twice a week I made sure to check all the noticeboards and would put up another sheet when all cards were gone.

That was 2 years ago and I still get new clients ringing from those cards that they've had in their wallet all this time.

When I made enough money to get professional cards made I went through vistaprint. Fantastic quality and great deals on all sorts of advertising. I now have business cards, magnets and postcards. I get them done when they are having their cheap sales on so you don't spend a fortune. Last order I got was 10 calendar magnets, 500 business cards and 50 postcards for less than $50 incl postage.

For me, I found leaflets didn't do much. What got my business off the ground was putting up a flyer on community notice boards - there are 5 in my local area within a 12km radius.

I printed off a heap of A4 sheets with a coloured header on it exactly how I designed my business cards. Then I printed off hundreds of coloured business cards onto card. Then I cut them all up and stapled 6 cards onto each A4 piece of paper. I then put that A4 flyer on the notice board. People could just rip off one of the cards and put it in their wallet. At least once or twice a week I made sure to check all the noticeboards and would put up another sheet when all cards were gone.

That was 2 years ago and I still get new clients ringing from those cards that they've had in their wallet all this time.

When I made enough money to get professional cards made I went through vistaprint. Fantastic quality and great deals on all sorts of advertising. I now have business cards, magnets and postcards. I get them done when they are having their cheap sales on so you don't spend a fortune. Last order I got was 10 calendar magnets, 500 business cards and 50 postcards for less than $50 incl postage.

That is a fab idea hun :green: Well done. I think i may try that too xx

Latest posts

Back