Advertising with yellow pages & yell .com

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley

Reaction score
hya, ive just got a quote from yellow pgs and yell.com for advertising my business and its just shy of £700. before i take the plunge does any one know if it worth doing as money is tight at the moment, but business is slow. any advice would be great. thx xx

Hello

I guess you have to weigh up thecompetition in your area.

I have a free add with yell.com and it serves me well, i am very close to the top and my website traffic thing informs me it is one of the top referral sites.

Do you have a free ad with them and if so do you get much work from it and where do you appear when you search for a salon in your area?

Google is probably the most popular search engine so make sure your standing is good with them x

if you decide to go with yell make sure you get a discount, they want your business remember and they do have flexibility in terms of price x In this day and age a business cannot afford to not haggle x

Hiya
I had a call from yellow pages last week to talk to me about advertising. They told me they're stopping the free one line ads. For me, personally, paying to advertise with them wasn't worth the money. I only ever had one client come to me through the yellow pages. I get much more business through my website. I'm sure they work for some people though.

Id stick with the free add from Yell.com. Most of my new enquiries comes from my Website and Google Places. If you can optimise your Google Places tab to rank in the top 7 balloons, then you will soon forget about Yell.com.

I have a relative who pays nearly £2k a year for a sponsored Yell.com listing and once he had his website set up and Google places linking to it, Google outstriped Yell.com by 5:1

Google places is free, so id have a go at that first before you give your hard earned cash to Yell.com

Hiya
I had a call from yellow pages last week to talk to me about advertising. They told me they're stopping the free one line ads. For me, personally, paying to advertise with them wasn't worth the money. I only ever had one client come to me through the yellow pages. I get much more business through my website. I'm sure they work for some people though.

I think they are only stopping the free ads for yellow pages....you can still have a free listing online

Do not do it, I ended up taking an ad out in the yellow pages, they tAlked the talk told me it would be around £60 a month and made it sound fantastic, they made my advert an it was horrible so told them what I wanted and the made some changes but still good so sent it back again but they pulished it in the yellow pages anyway and it ended up actually costing nearer £100 a month for a year and I never knew this till the first payment came off as they said they sent me a payment schedule but never got it and by then it was too late it was published and I'm left with a terrible ad and £100 down each month an totop it all never had 1 single call from it and it's been about 6 months in circulation. Now I know it wast own nievity and failure to chase things up as much a I should have, but lesson learnt and I will not be repeating it.

I think they are only stopping the free ads for yellow pages....you can still have a free listing online

That's good to know, thank you!

Hi all - new to the forum but picked up on some of the Yell/Yellow Pages references.

Just wanted to give some info on the Yellow Pages/Yell free listing.

The free listing on Yell/Yellow Pages remains, and anyone who wants one can sign up here. The change people were talking about in the forum concerns the new compact Yellow Pages - the free listings will now be carried in a 'Name Finder' section. There is no change regarding Yell.com.

With regards to the book, it is worth bearing in mind that there are stats around about it still being used very often (some here), and that there are big companies in the book who are in there as they are seeing a positive return on their investment.

If anyone has any other questions about advertising on the site, I will try my best to answer them, or find someone who can! I work within the reviews team (customers reviewing businesses on Yell) so if you have any questions about that I can help too.

I'm in insurance, not beauty (although we are treatment risk brokers), and I can honestly say they are the biggest waste of space/money around.

I'd really spend the money elsewhere. A lot of people would kill for a £700 marketing budget and it could potentially go a looooooong way.

I think people automatically Google stuff now as opposed to using yell.

It's a bit of a dying business to be honest, and they've also been a monumental pain in the backside with me in the past pestering with sales calls.

Have a look on Lynns marketing thread (I'd link it but im about to get the kids from school clubs!) and have a look at the free marketing stuff, and then weigh up what else you can do that you'll need to pay for.

You could have a really good website, google ad-words AND a leaflet campaign for the cost of one little entry on a site that no-one goes to anymore!

Yell.com is reactive marketing...meaning people have to look for you, If business is slow I'd be more inclined to be proactive and go and look for business with adverts/leaflets etc.

Does anyone know how you change your free listing in yell????
Having trouble finding out how......
Thanks xx

I've only ever had 3 calls from Thomson local in 2 years...

Sent from my iPod touch using SalonGeek

Think about it - if your looking for a service in your area - whats the first thing you do to look for one (besides asking friends/family)

I do a google/online search.. I have a Yellow Pages and a Thomson Local but never use them..

You could always do a quick survey on here to find out how people search for new services etc?

But I for one look online x

Hiya

I took out 4 months google ads with them, its my second month now & received only one call, :rolleyes:. I'm regretting it now, should of paid the extra & advertised in my local paper.
It was the same when i had a large ad in their book, i paid alot of money & never got many calls:(

Does anyone know how you change your free listing in yell????
Having trouble finding out how......
Thanks xx

If you need to change your free listing, send me the details and I can pass it on to the appropriate people.

A very simple question to anyone thinking of advertising in Yellow Pages ... when was the last time you picked it up to find a company / number?

For the big companies even a full page ad in their is a tiny tiny drop in the ocean of their annual marketing budget. For us small traders it is a a huge portion of it!

For £700 you could run a much more successful Facebook or Google AdWords campaign that will generate a long term relationship with potential clients (particularly through Facebook). And that spend would be spread over whatever period of time you wanted.

Mat

thankyou everyone, ive decided not to go with yell as its far to much money.i have already got a website through vista print and facebook page but its not getting me many clients at all. any other tips and advice on how to get my business noticed would be great thankyou x

Just to add my two penneth! I took out a package with Yell.com after being called by a member of their sales team. I agreed to their terms and signed up BIG MISTAKE! Everything they could get wrong they did, I received loads of other sales call as a result of the ad and have maybe had a couple of clients book after seeing me on Yell.com.

Not a good experience, but, I should have known better!

hya, ive just got a quote from yellow pgs and yell.com for advertising my business and its just shy of £700. before i take the plunge does any one know if it worth doing as money is tight at the moment, but business is slow. any advice would be great. thx xx

Spend elsewhere.... my friend used to work in the sales team!!!

I signed up last summer when I was just starting out. I got a sales call that was sooooooo pushy I was bullied into it!!!! A complete and utter waste of £60 a month that I can ill afford. I have not had one client say they got me from Yell. They claim to do search engine optimisation but I think my free google ad is the place people find me along with my website. It finishes in August and that will be it FOREVER!!!! I hate them and their poxy sales teams!!!!!

The End!!!!!!!!

Oh and word of mouth is the best form of advertising for me lol .....

Latest posts

Back