ADVERTISING

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have an advertisement in the yellow pages, and don't think I will either. I currently am handing out business cards wherever I can, and am currently advertising on a local cable channel that runs typed up ads. The cost is only $85 for the month, and me and the other 2 new girls at the salon split the cost, so it wasn't bad at all! Then I do plan on advertising in the local newspaper here as well. Make up some fliers and leave them wherever you can, but word of mouth is the best advertising you can get!!! good luck!

Glorsclaws

Photographic Geek
Reaction score
Hi, I've just had a letter come through offering me free advertising in the Yellow Pages :D Now I dont want to look a gift horse in the mouth but I was told that it was really expensive to advertise there.Has anyone else had one of these? Am I being overly suspicious here?And while I'm on the subject (in for a penny -in for a pound) how do you guys do your advertising -especially those of you who work from home/mobile ;) Cheers.

Hi Gloria - as a business you get a free single line entry in the Yellow Pages. In the first year you should get a 50% discount as they want to attract new business - the next year I think you get 25% discount and then after that you pay full price if you keep the same sized ad. It is not that expensive if you have a small box - in the first year I paid £77 for the whole year - it has gone up each year but I have also taken a larger ad and also I have a box on Yell.com.

I would highly recommend it as I get most of my business from it - in the first year from my £77 I generated at least £1800 worth of business.

Hiya Gloria

Just be a little wary of Yellow Pages...obviously take out your free lineage, you've nothing to lose.

However, a little cautious tale.....In 2001 I took out a box with Yellow Pages and I think it cost me something like £25.00 per month for 8 months. I got a really good response from the area I was living in and it paid for itself.

Last year 2002 we moved and I was gently persuaded to up the size of my box. This now costs me something in the region of £36.00 per month (x8) which in actual fact is quite a lot for me! It has in no way recouped this amount and to be quite honest I've had very few calls generated from it.

My point being, look at the area you are in. Where are you situated in the map at the front of your YP. IF you are on the dividing line between 2 YP books, which one do you go for?

I lived just outside Braintree (a town) and then I moved to the country. I now think my best way of advertising is to get my leaflets seen by as many people as possible. Do a leaflet drop; speak to your local newsagents about placing leaflets in their papers (ours does it for about £45 for a distribution of 1000 homes). Ask if you can leave some leaflets in some local shops and a local gym.

The other thing of course is adverts in post offices and newsagents. Sometimes newspapers have special pages for beauty items although again this can work out quite expensive.

Anyway, I've rambled enough hope there's something useful there
Adele

Do a leaflet drop
Hi Adele, thanks for the advice.You ramble as much as you like girl...LOL.I need to hear as much about other peoples way of getting themselves noticed as possible. I've been thinking about the leaflet drop myself but not really sure what to put on them yet and I dont know how much it will cost me to get them printed-up.My son is a paper-boy though so theres a start ;) You've given me some nice ideas to be going on with but feel free to add more if you like (cheeky arent I?)Thanx.

Just another thought, :idea:
Well when I first started out doing the mobile bit and didn't have ready cash, I used all the freebies I could get.
Maybe if you get in touch with your local paper and introduce yourself, they might do a little story on you in return for a freebie promise.
Also Supermarkets, they have free advertising boards there. Nice little card might do the trick.
Local Community events, Mother and Toddler groups aso.
Get yourself known thats the thing, but like all things good, it takes time.
Never give up, get disheartend.
Now I am Salon based I use the internet as much as possible.
Email Companys HR and offer my services. Large companies get a discount if x amount of their staff use our Services.
Client referrals do the trick do. Give them a little something for introducing a friend. Might sound a bit to Commercial, but as much as I love Nails I also run a business!!!!!!
Just remember there will be a time to shine and the quality of your service will be word of mouth and thats the best advertisment you can have. I always say " Good news travels fast, but bad news even faster".
thats enough rambling from me yet again
Love Ruth :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back