Advice about hair extensions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly B

Reaction score
Hi Hair pros

I had hair extensions in and unfortunately my little girl caught head lice in childcare and gave them to me! We both booked in to be treated by head lice experts but unfortunately they couldn't treat me until hair extensions out and understandably salon couldn't remove because of contamination so boyfriend ended up removing with pliers to be treated! Thankfully hair grand after treatment and a cut.

Would love to get them in again but afraid! Hair was reusable but threw them in the fire because of fear of lice being on them (sorry lice lol).
Does anyone have any experience of this situation before? I spray daughters hair with tea tree now and up in a bun but head lice experts say all these sprays will not prevent.

I had them as a kid pretty much from 5-10, it was a nightmare. You get near another kid after having a treatment and they are back again. I spent so much time shoved in a cupboard so Mum didn’t have to smell the stinky lotion on my head!

If it’s just happened this once I wouldn’t worry that too much but if it’s happened often you need to brush her hair, comb it and then nit comb it daily with conditioner on so they slide out and you can catch any new ones before they lay. We ended up doing it as preventative when I was in secondary school as I had sisters at primary and it was just a constant battle of to and fro and it was mortifying. We did it before bed as a little routine. Kind of oddly satisfying and some quiet time together.

As for the hair extensions, it’s really down to whether it’s worth it to you. For the price they are and the difficulty you’ve had getting them out.. especially so close to the outbreak....as whoever she got them from may well still have them and not be being treated...or all the kids could have it...the daycare staff could have it. We weren’t allowed to go in when we had it but some people do.

Hi House Beauty

Many thanks for your reply appreciate it. Thankfully its just been once its happened would you believe it took me two or three weeks to realise we had them, had been to two pharmacies and the doctor who both gave me shampoos and creams for allergy!lol

Have had no symptoms and its been three months since incident but have bought itty gritty nit comb today and am planning on going through hair each night after childcare, for now its just one day a week. Some quiet time sounds lovely but shes two and a half with a mop of curls so will most likely be blood curdling screams lol

As much as I miss them might wait for hair extensions a little while yet if they stay away another while maybe.

Thank you again for a lovely reply

Latest posts

Back