Advice about how to apply tartan??????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klassy Klaws

Reaction score
Hi I am off to a Big Scottish Highland Gathering on Saturday my two girls are playing in their Pipe Band and they want to have a Scottish theme on their nails.
What I was thinking about was Tartan and wondered if I apply the tips as normal then cut out some wrapping paper or ribbon to fit the tip cutting out a smile line sticking it on some how then applying clear l&p over zone 1 and pink over zone 2&3:green:

Do you think this would work?

what abt if you got some silk/ or thin material in a tartan pattern and applied it like fibre/silk t/o?

hi... instead of cutting out ribbons... how about using stripping tape....??

theyre really fiddly but if you do it well you will achieve consistent straight lines....

i think someone was selling stripping tape in the geekbay a while ago...

hope this helps...

Take the wrapping paper and using adehsive stick it to the tip but missing your smile line so yo ahve a nice curve to it. then apply a thin coat of clear over it to protect it and thena pply zones 2 and 3 as normal.

HTH

would it not be less fiddly to do a coloured tip then use a striper brush for the pattern ?

Hi,

I would be inclined to do red nails then use green, black, white and maybe a red striper.

Get some samples of tartan from the web - unless you have some at home and try to replicate it. Some tartans close up are quite sparse and actually not much colour in them.

Thanks for all your ideas I had a little play this afternoon:irked:
I printed out some tartan from the computer then cut out a smile before trying to stick it on sadly my paper is a bit to thick and wasn't that willing to stay stuck:eek:
Once it was sort of attached I applied clear to the tip then pink to 2&3 as normal take a look and you will see what I am trying to do:lol:

http://www.thenailgeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=5603&c=2

I can see what you mean about the paper being a bit thick but apart from that, that looks pretty good actually!

Ive done the ribbon thing myself in the past but it was very sheer so worked.

Hmm! wasnt there a tutorial on here somewhere about making your own decals with real thin decal paper?

i've done pleny of tartan and it's not as hard as you'd think!
use paint and a striping brush. if you make sure you have the right colors to match, just start striping. one or two accross, one or two down. repeat this so the stripes of different colors overlap.
for an example, my first attempt at this kind of pattern, check out my site. www.mynailsrock.com
go to holidays, Christmas, three rows down, third one over.
really, it's not as hard as you'd think!
good luck!

kathleen
www.mynailsrock.com

Hi Karen,

How did you get on with your tartan nails. Any pictures?:)

I can see what you mean about the paper being a bit thick but apart from that, that looks pretty good actually!

Ive done the ribbon thing myself in the past but it was very sheer so worked.

Hmm! wasnt there a tutorial on here somewhere about making your own decals with real thin decal paper?
Hi glo i have searched all over on the site for the tutorial on making my own nail decals but cant find it, if you or any other geek can help me out with a link i would be very grateful :hug:

Why not buy a bottle of tartan nail varnish.

Yeah yeah i know i couldn't resist that one.
it's something i would fall for so had to say it. lol :green:
Can't help with how to do it but i'm sure the tutorial will be a great help.

X X

I have tartan foil!! :D i think i got it off ebay!

xx

Latest posts

Back