Advice about my 21 month old!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I must say i found a lot of the comments interesting over coffee this morning but then to my absolute horror and disgust I found that SassyHassy has gone beyond the line and admits to hitting her children.

TAPPED NOT HIT!!!!

Young children learn most of their social behaviour from the adults around them. It’s true a quick “smack” may stop a child momentarily but it is disrespectful, gives a lesson in bad behaviour and does nothing to teach a child about other ways of behaving. Children who are physically punished
learn that hitting is an acceptable way to solve conflict and are
more likely to hit other children. The more a child is hit, the more
likely it is that the child may grow up to be an adult who deals with
others, not with reason and good example, but with force.

WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT SMACKING BUT TAPPING - THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!
I WOULD TAP EMILY WHEN SHE GETS OLDER IF SHE IS BEING NAUGHTY.

Positive, non-violent discipline works through enhancing the relationship between parents and children, is always respectful, focuses on acceptable behaviour and encourages it.

Human rights protection does not stop short at the door of the family home. Hitting children is wrong, just as it is unacceptable for adult family members to hit each other. Children are not parents’ possessions, but are recognised as individuals who are entitled to the protection of human rights standards just like everyone else. The welfare and protection of children is the responsibility of society as a whole.

YOU ARE FOCUSING WHOLY ON HITTING WHEN A COMMENT WAS MADE TO A TAP. UNTIL THE CHILD IS OLD ENOUGH THEY ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARENT AND THEY SHOULD DISCIPLINE THEM HOW THEY FEEL APPROPRIATE. I AM NOT SAYING HIT THEM, I AM SAYING IF THE PARENT FEELS THE 'TAP' IS DESERVED THEN SO BE IT.

It is important for children to have safe limits appropriate to their age but this should not involve physical punishment. The term discipline is too often misunderstood to mean punishment - but it comes from the same Latin root discere as discipleship, meaning literally to learn. Punishment means to “cause to undergo pain”. The philosophy that supports punishment regards blind obedience as a virtue. Positive, non-violent discipline is designed to foster self-discipline, reduce parental stress and improve relationships between children and the adults who care for them.

I WAS TAPPED AS A CHILD AND MY RELATIONSHIP WITH MY PARENTS IS FANTASTIC. A TAP NEVER DID ME ANY HARM.

People usually hit children because they were hit themselves (SassyHassy?) and it is pointless to judge a previous generation of parents who were acting in accordance with the general culture of the time.

But times have changed, we are aware of the danger and ineffectiveness of physical punishment and we need to move on. However “controlled” she/he is, a full-sized adult who hits a much smaller child risks causing harm. Physical punishment is ineffective as it does not tell children what they have done
wrong or what they should do instead. Children are usually too overwhelmed with hurt or anger to listen to explanations. But even if it worked, hitting children would still be wrong.

THERE SHOULD BE NO PHYSICAL HARM MADE FROM A TAP. I WASN'T COVERED IN BRUISES AS A CHILD BUT I KNEW THE DIFFERENCE FROM RIGHT AND WRONG. IN MY EYES DISCIPLINE WORKS. I HAVE NEVER PUT A FOOT WRONG (OBVIOUSLY THE ODD MINOR INCIDENTS), I KNEW I WOULD BE IN TROUBLE IF I DID SO I NEVER OVERSTEPPED THE BOUNDARIES.

So I would rather find a strict means to discipline a child, with a debate raging over 'how many minutes', than to hit a child. A 'tap' is an unmeasurable amount of force, applied by the so-called 'reasonable opinion' of the parent and is a weak excuse for child abuse. A 'tap' is in fact a 'hit'.

HOW CAN A TAP BE A HIT WHEN A TAP IS A TAP.

good post hun !! it is the emotional stuff that stays with us , not the physical , i dont know anyone that doesnt have something from thier childhood that still gives em issues :eek: , mine is drinking, i cant stand it
i wasnt cruelly treated by my parents in any way , i just grew up in a s**tty atmosphere , which compells me not to have the same for my kids, like some stuff that is so little is a big issue to me ,
like its important to do the little stuff with your kids , reading etc... coz i never had that , never had help with homework , etc.. so i have to do it for mine coz i think its so important
god sorry i am rambling now, :lol:

HOW CAN A TAP BE A HIT WHEN A TAP IS A TAP.

Yup and one minute is the same as 25 I guess? I think someone is trying to wind us up here people! I am not going to defend my parenting, if someone thinks that a tap is the same as hitting then maybe a few rounds with Tyson would sort out their warped sense of the English dictionary!

i agree maybe she should look at her own kids before commenting on other peoples parenting skills

If someone is taking the **ss then i'll say no more as this subjuct really riles me!

I have seen some child cruelty in my time but that was in a totally different league to a 'TAP'.

And a tap only leads to more if the parent has no self control, is cruel or has issues themself.

How anyone has the audacity to judge a complete strangers parenting skills is beyond me.

I too have smacked my son's hand,i would ring social services my self,but they would just laugh. He is happy loved and no different to any other child FYI

Do you seriously think your children are having such problems because you didn't leave them on a step for hours on end ?

You have to be cruel to be kind sometimes, if you dont act now and stamp this out, they will end up like mine, one in broadmoor and the other on probation for attempted robbery on a post office. Try the naughty step technique, i think they have to stay on the naughty step for 25 minutes of every year old, or something like that..

The one in Broadmoor is relieved to be off the naughty step...

Okay girls,.... the games up. SassyHassy is on to me.

its Mr Auntsally [she will kill me when she sees this], sorry ladies but i get you everytime and i missed April fools day so i just could not resist. x x

For the record, we do a minute for every year.

I'll have to be even more cunning if I am going to set you girls up next year.

Hugs!

Mr Auntsally. x

I think someone is trying to wind us up here people!

Do you know the first thought I when I read AuntSally's original post was that it was a wind up...... Get everyone biting and then enjoy the fallout.....
:rolleyes: :irked:

Go about your business people, there's nothing to see here (apart from the fab advice up to that point!)

and....

I did leave a few clues if you go back, kids in broadmoor and one on probation, then telling you about parenting.

Come on ladies!

Mwah! x x x

bit of a sick "joke"

IT WASN'T A TAP! My mother beats me with those studded belts you see in River Island!!(atleast shes a fashionable beater!). Childline doesnt help 18 years old can i just sit on the naughty step for 7 1/2 hours instead!

IT WASN'T A TAP! My mother beats me with those studded belts you see in River Island!!(atleast shes a fashionable beater!). Childline doesnt help 18 years old can i just sit on the naughty step for 7 1/2 hours instead!

pmslllllllllllll

I don't think it was funny. I actually felt 'sorry' for the kid in prison and thought, no bloody wonder with a Mother like that!!!

AND I was thinking that AuntSally was screwed up...

... so Mr AuntSally... if making your wife look bad in the eyes of a pretty popular forum is fun... then I'd hate to see what you'd be like trying to make someone miserable....

I don't think it was funny. I actually felt 'sorry' for the kid in prison and thought, no bloody wonder with a Mother like that!!!

AND I was thinking that AuntSally was screwed up...

... so Mr AuntSally... if making your wife look bad in the eyes of a pretty popular forum is fun... then I'd hate to see what you'd be like trying to make someone miserable....

hear hear

Ring Jeremy Kyle :hug:

I can just imagine how nasty Sassy can be

pmsl !! well you know our sass , always has to keep up with fashion trends !!:lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back