Advice And Information Needed! Please Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcpunter

Reaction score
hey all :) i sent a post recently asking if it was too early to think about planning and organising my new business..even though i havnt start course...im very determined to do this..and after quite a few replied saying to go for it...any planning means im ready to get stuck in....after all im planning to go mobile in January once completed course and practised at least 50 sets of nails. ive been doing alot of written work, writing down what i need to find out...and ithought rather than running ragged trying to find info i thought i'd ask the expert..so here goes

firstly my name for my business is either between

Artisan Nails,
Embelished Touch
or
Embelished Nails

which one is the best one and where do i find out if it is being used else where.....also where do i find out how to register my business name and costs etc....if you have any ideas of the website names i will be grateful..

what is the best form of advertisment for my mobile business...how much is cant cost, etc etc, i understand this is something i have to sort out but any ideas will be fantastic

where can i get grants, someone on here mentioned to me that i can get a grant to start my business up...any idea where from and how i go about it...

what is the best place to design my own webpage for my business...names of websites...how much it costs whether its free or not....

ive also drawn a blank on how to design my business plan for the future..what do i need to do for this? isthere anywhere on the internet i can go to look up examples of business plans?

what is the best place to buy all my equipment i need for the business...i will be buying my products from creative, but need to know where i can get some tables and chairs that are easy to carry around..i know some people have mentioned ironing boards..but i think they are too small and i would rather buy some chairs anda table...any websites i can go on and look to buy any...

where can i look to buy my uniform..i wish to buy a uniform straight away and it give a professional approach toward my business and clients will see that im providing a professional service etc etc...i would like to wear black trousers and a white tunic top anywhere i can get these..remember im a bloke so it had to be a blokes tunic lol

because im Deaf...i need to overcome the telephone problem...i cannot recieve any bookings over the phone if im to answer them...should i employ a receptionist that will take all my calls for bookings and enquiries??? anyone want to offer??? :) im in milton keynes

how do i find out about rules and regulations if im set my business up in my garage after converting it

i think thats it for now...i hope i havnt confused you all..but i really really do appreciate all the help you give me! :)

thanks ever so much as always

love you all lots xxxxx

blimey marc, just a few questions then ! just to get you started on your list, try www.uniformshop.co.uk for your outfit. it really is great value and great quality , and i'm sure they do those sexy side fastening mens tunics ! :cool:

also;- name wise i like embelished touch. as for advertising, yellow pages is the best in my opinion, and they usually do 1/2 price ads for first time advertisers or a free 1 line entry. another way of advertising that i find effective is to find a mate that works in a place that her nails will be seen by a lot of others and do her a freebie if she will distribute your cards or leaflets, a friend of my daughters works in 2 designer clothes shops in town also i get a lot of enquiries from clients of a hairdresser that i do. she pays the going rate but i sometimes give her free nail art cos it catches peoples eyes and then she gives them my details.hope this helps ya, btw i am in northampton so not too far from you.

Hi Babe

Can I suggest to you that you do a search on the site for your questions as most of them have been answered a few times lol you will find heaps of info :)

OK about the phone as you know I have the same problem as I am deaf I do txt app and email you could also put home no on the flyer but limit the time for people to call when you know Sean is home to take app for you....Tony takes app for me bless him he is getting a right dab hand at answering peoples questions.

Take care Dawnie xx

Here's some answers, hope they help! I've only answered what I can.

marcpunter said:
hey all :) where do i find out how to register my business name and costs etc....if you have any ideas of the website names i will be grateful..

Beware on this one - I once knew a girl paid out £350 to a place that "registered" her company name, they were bogus. Dunno, but I heard that if you post a letter to yourself with your business name on the envelope, when it is delivered you have the letter with postmark to validate that you used this name first. Maybe someone will correct me if that's wrong.....

where can i get grants, someone on here mentioned to me that i can get a grant to start my business up...any idea where from and how i go about it...

It was me that mentioned this. I've just got a form from my local council, they can give a grant for up to £1000 - £500 at startup and £500 2 years later if I'm still in business. Contact your local council (I did it by email via their website, the info on the Grant was there too. Try it!)

what is the best place to design my own webpage for my business...names of websites...how much it costs whether its free or not....

I'm with 1&1 they sell domain names (eg www.teenab.co.uk ) from £1.99. You then transfer that to your website. I also got my website through them, it cost around £40 for a year (or is it 2 years - I can't remember!) and theres a free website builder on there. I built mine within 2 hours (I keep going back and changing it though!). You can get free webspace, but I don't know how to go about it, sorry! I found 1&1 really easy so went with them! (www.oneandone.co.uk )

ive also drawn a blank on how to design my business plan for the future..what do i need to do for this? isthere anywhere on the internet i can go to look up examples of business plans?

The pack from the local council had tips on business plan building, it also gave details of free courses for local businesses in things like tax, bookkeeping, etc. Again, try your local council's website for info.

how do i find out about rules and regulations if im set my business up in my garage after converting it

AGAIN - LOCAL COUNCIL!!!

i think thats it for now...i hope i havnt confused you all..but i really really do appreciate all the help you give me! :)

thanks ever so much as always

love you all lots xxxxx
Hope this helps!

With regard to starting your business, find your local branch of Business Link - they offer free advice, booklets, meetings, and courses for starting a new business.

Like Dawnie says, most of your questions have been answered on the board before, so spend a few hours using the Search facility - you'll be amazed at the wealth of info on there :D There is a knack to getting the search results you want but you'll soon get the hang of it :cool:

HTH

Tina

For a website freewebs.com is one of many, tripod.com or freeserve.com they all offer free web space which is great for starting up. You can look at more professional web designers when you are more established.

Hope that helps!
xx

You can register your business name with companies house.............

Companies House is a Government agency responsible for incorporating or deregistering companies, and supplying company information to the public.
www.companies-house.gov.uk

Domain [email protected] or others registration link http://www.mydomain.com/ very cheap.......
HTH

every company is supposed to be registered with companies house, it's £15 pa, and they will require to look at your books.

a good tip is to get good advice on book keeping, or employ a b/keeper, or buy a accounting package like sage. but sage is quite expensive, so in first couple of years whilst building business you wont need it, and being mobile, your only gonna be a v.small business, so u may not need it.

artisan is best (will be at front of section in yellow pages) sounds classy.

like others say, employ a couple of mates to wear your nails and hand out flyers.

when you feel ready for your business to 'go live' offer clients some sort of special offer, like 10% off, or discount on next appointment. also offer existing clients a discount on their next appointment (but only the next not the rest) when they bring you a new client. the best form of advertising is word of mouth, you can never beat a big up from a client!

there are loads of different suppliers, depends what you want to use. for things like desks, stools, etc, ikea (im a big big fan) is great, you get quality economically priced funky stuff! loadsa bright colours, and because they are cheap you can change them with the fashions! as for actual nail equipment, depends what system you will use . there are loadsa websites selling all these things. just do searches and you'll find loads.

there was a post not so long ago about uniforms, which had loadsa websites, so you will most likley find the one you want. oh and at excel u might find the exact one for u!

the bank will give u advice on business plans etc. infact u can go in and say u are going to open a business account (although u don't have to) and they give you a pack. it has a disk in it where you just type in the answers to the questions and it then makes your businees plan. (when i did gnvq ad business at VI form we had to do business plans so we used these kits) hsbc and lloyds do a good one.

ok forgotten what rest of questions are! LOL and im like writing pages! :green:

any way, have fun with all your planning hun! And good luck with your course, and future business. oh and when u make it big, remember all the little people who helped you!!

luckybird21 said:
every company is supposed to be registered with companies house, it's £15 pa, and they will require to look at your books.
OOOEEERRRR!!! Got that totally wrong then! Sorry about that! I did a business course once and one tutor told us to register with Companies House, another tutor said there's no such place. Many people didn't start a business after that course....I wonder why?!

Why do they need to look at your books?

Wow what a lot of questions!!!

Firstly I like Artisan Nails.

With regard to registering your company name you only have to do this if you are a limited company which you probably wont be in the beginning. But I would go on to their website www.companieshouse.co.uk and search for your company name as if it already exists on the register you will not be able to become a limited company with that name in the future.

I would definitely go on the Business Start-Up course with Business Link. I did it and found it immensely useful and made me aware of loads of things I hadn't even thought about. Plus you then get a couple of free one-to-one's with a business advisor who you can sound out your ideas too.

I got a Business Plan template from Lloyds but Business Link recommend that you decide who you are going to bank with and then use the Business Plan they recommend as it wont wont look good if you go in to Natwest with a business plan from HSBC!

Hope this helps.

Hi Marc

Im looking to start my business along the same lines as you ...

a really good site for you to join is www.Shell-LiveWire.org

you can post questions and business ideas and the responses are very quick and usefull

good luck

Shane

My other half is just working on starting up his own business. He does hedge and garden maintenance and has done so for a few years in uni holidays but wants to do everything 'properly'. He's been advised by a number of self-employed friends that the no 1 best thing to get is an accountant. They will make sure all your books are right, that you don't fall out with the Inland Revenue, and know lots of sneaky ways for making sure you can claim tax back etc. I'd also say, ask anyone and everyone you know who has an accountant for their recommendations - there can be very shoddy ones around, so it's best to go for own that a good friend trusts.

Registering a company name... I don't think you have to do this. You would have to if you were a limited company, and being a limited company can benefit you in some ways. For example, if you were to go bankrupt and were a limited company then 'they' (is that the government or debt collectors? I have no idea but you know what I mean) can only touch company assets to recoup your debt. If you're not limited but are self employed, legally everything you own can be liquidated to meet your debts. This is how it was explained to me by someone who had 'limited' their company anyway. If you have assets you wouldn't want to lose - house, car etc, you might want to do this. I'll ask my sister about registering company names as her boyfriend once registered his name as a company name I think when he was self employed.

Free web space: Yahoo offer a service called GeoCities, where you get free web space with the same name as your email. For example, I just registered a yahoo.com address 'WithNailsAndI' so now my webspace will be www.geocities.com/withnailsandi. It's free, but some people think that having an actual domain name looks more professional. However, these do cost. Tescos offer a webspace and domain service that costs £60 for two years. You put in the name you want and they search to find which versions (.com, .co.uk, .net etc) are available.

Word of mouth is one of the best forms of advertising. When I did body art, which we did for parties and and local fetes, every time we had a date coming up we stuck flyers up in our cars, so everytime we left the car in a car park, people would see. I also did A5 flyers to hand out, and business cards - WHSmith and virtually every other stationers going sell sheets of perforated business cards which you can then print yourself. For my boyfriend we've done a A5 flyer drop round the local area, but I'd like to advertise 'properly' when we can afford it. Also, if you have a website, submit it to search engines and join webrings so that it gets exposure.

Grants can be available from local councils, there is also the Prince's Trust which offers grants or loans (depends how you qualify) or if you have a bank manager you get on with, ask them.

Uniforms: I have seen some I like in online stores (there was a post a while back called 'uniform websites' or 'uniforms online' - just search for 'uniform' and you'll find them) but nothing quite unique enough: I'd like a black tunic, mandarin collar, capped sleeves with an off-set button-down front, like one from a company whose name I can't remember in Ireland, but I'd like pink edging, pink buttons and my logo embroidered in pink, so luckily a friend's mother who is a dressmaker (and a nurse... don't ask me how those two go hand in hand) will make me one for much lower than the brand-name £30 fee. But that's only because I want something that's not available. I'm sure you'll probably find something you like online.

One thing I would like to know is where people would get there towels from? I would try Roseby's and other places and I know I can get pink, but I would like black too, which I think is a pretty standard colour for a lot of hairdresser's, so does anyone know a wholesaler off the top of their head?

Hope that helps a bit! Lol x

RE black towels....
try matalan if you have one local!!! I have purcased all of my towels from there.....i always seem to go down at the right time though as i always get them in the sale!!!
they are gorgeous thick fluffy towels and wash really really well

I got a pack of 12 black towels from Sally's I think they were £15.99 plus vat.

Jue xxx

Latest posts

Back