Advice for 16 year old skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Mac

Reaction score
My niece is having a bad time with her skin (face). She has teenage spots and blackheads but she also has terribly dry skin, more than just dehydrated. She's tried Dermologica and Phytomer (which I use) but neither seemed to help.

I was hoping that maybe someone on here had children, family or younger clients with similar problems that could offer some advice?
Many thanks.

Hiya, has your niece stuck with her treatment program for a few weeks without mixing and matching products?

Quite often they are so desperate they put obsessive amounts of different products onto the skin causing the skin to lose all it's protection and natural oils that it needs to stay healthy. This is called the acid mantel. Mixing products or using too frequently can disturb the ph balance within the skin thus causing the dryness alongside the other skin problems.

I would suggest your niece go to see their GP to see what they suggest. Or start from fresh and take your niece to a therapist for a skin analysis. Hth

I can remember when I was 16 I was the same but my skin wasn't spotty it was just very very dry and every now and then I would get a hard spot on my head it wasn't red n awful but they were sore, produced too much keratin the doc said so they put me on the pill think it was called dianette it worked really well caused me bad migraines though so had to stop.

As said before though is she keeping up with the routine and also what make up she using is for her skin type? n is it cheap coz that not always good x

Thank you for your replies.

She used Dermologica for about 6 months now been using Phytomer for same amount of time. The GP gave her a low %hydrocortisone cream and Diprobase which is all she's using now, only problem is the diprobase is too heavy to put make on on fairly soon after. (like all 16 year olds she has "no time"!!;))
I think the pill is good for bad acne but her spots are more typical for her age. As to her make up, I steal hers it as it's far better than anything I can afford! The benefits of being a grandchild is that grans spend much more on them than they would ever have 'wasted' on their own children.
(Bitter? Me?:rolleyes:) :lol:

As to her make up, I steal hers it as it's far better than anything I can afford! The benefits of being a grandchild is that grans spend much more on them than they would ever have 'wasted' on their own children.
(Bitter? Me?:rolleyes:) :lol:

Haha that made me giggle x

What Dermaologica products did she use?

Maybe try something more aromatherapy based ie Darphin. Their Purifying balm is very gentle and effective.

I discovered tonight that she's been using one of those clearasil, or something similar, to wash her face along with the phytomer products I gave her. :eek:So she's been told to stop that and wash with cleanser only.

I may be wrong but I suspect it's the facewash that has been drying out her skin. It's hard to explain to a young teen that she'll just have to give it time. I remember being that age and a spot being the end of the world, never mind spots and dry skin!

Many thanks again.

Latest posts

Back