Advice for a budding Nail tech please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U-neek

Reaction score
Hi there !
I've been lurking on here a while now but with my new found determination after a slight lull in confidence I've decided that the best thing I can do is get involved...

I did my nail training last year - I did all 3 systems, nail art, manicure and pedicure in 3 days!!! Looking back not the best course I could have done - neither was it cheap! I'm also working towards an NVQ - the deadline for my entry and assessment is by the end of next September (2009).

I love creating nails... but for some reason about 6 months back exhausted from working my full time job, keeping on top of household stuff and trying ot fit in practice and reading I just got exhausted. I haven't practised now in months. I got so behind on household stuff and work was so manic that I made time to catch up and ever since just havent made time for nails. I'm not adverse to hardwork at all...I just take on too much at once ! The passion is still there - posting on here is my first step to try and get back on track !

I've felt so sad about it since - all I've wanted since I left school is to have my own salon and do the things I love doing - but my dad refused to put me through a college course when I left school saying I should get some admin skills under my belt and that I'd never make any money in the beauty industry...he has changed his tune now ! OF course not been able to fund the course myself at the time, I ended up in an office junior position at a neighbours company and have been stuck in unsatisfying office jobs ever since. Dont' get me wrong I have progressed and earn a good wage...but my passion and interest lays in the beauty and nail industry.

It's the only industry I've ever been interested in and I've kind of sat viewing it as an outsider wishing I had found a way to get in earlier.

Now I feel stuck in office jobs, a slave to the regular salary as I have debts to pay and as much as I'd love to just take the plunge, free up some more time to commit to my education and start my own salon - its just not realistic at this moment - but I'm just not ready to admit defeat.

It's taken me a while to admit it to myself but I think trying to take on all 3 systems at once and practice them all was a big mistake and now wish I'd started with one - in fact I wish I'd just started with the CND courses and built up gradually...building my skill and confidence until I was in the position to take the plunge and go for it with my own business.

I'm not really sure where to go from here...I've got 3 more years to go until my debt is paid off and after that time I could afford to take a wage cut, go part time or even give up office work altogether. My plan (as probably a lot of budding nail techs) was to focus on education, practice practice practice... start building up a client base, move to part time in my regular job and build up clients, concentrate on marketing my business then pull out all the stops with advertising and go for the plunge and open my very own salon. I know this will take hard work...but I just don't feel I've had the right educational start...surely a good education should build the foundations and your confidence...and not leave you guessing from notes how to do other essential bits..

I'm not sure whether to abandon the NVQ and start again with a course such as CND or try and get some one to one's to help me with the knowledge I'm missing. Perhaps even try and get together with some fellow trainees in the Oxford area for moral support and practice....are there any out there ???

Sculpting is my favourite - I just love it - but my confidence falls down around maintenance - our course didn't even cover it ! We got a demo and notes on how to do it... I think to be honest...writing this - this is one of the key things holding me back - I feel confident creating a nail (though I still have a lot of perfect practice to do to make them perfect) but the fact I just feel clueless about maintenance when it's a really important thing to know is not helping in the confidence - the last thing I want to do is ruin someones nails !!

I'm not so fussed about the earning money side at the moment, I make enough and I know people are happy to pay to cover materials when I practice on them. It's the education part that's niggling me the most and I want to get this grounding right and make absolutely certain that I've been properly trained in all the aspects. I want to be the best I can be and the course I did just doesn't give me that confident grounding.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for from this thread... I know I don't want to give up but I'm just not sure where to go from here.... you all seem so nice and full of wisdom that I thought I'd throw my thoughts and concerns out there ! :confused:

Hi,
I feel that by writing this thread a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders.
You seem to have a lot of determination and altho things have not been easy for you by the sounds of it, you will succeed in your dreams of entering the nail and beauty industry.
As for the NVQ, allot of people have started training this way and have built on it.
I personally have done CND courses and feel they provide such a high standard of training, with excellent teachers and material and would never hesitate to recommend their training-you cnt go wrong.
I feel that learning one subject area at a time works best for me as you can put 100% in and get confident then move onto the next.
I would say continue your course as you are already in the process of it and then do some CND courses in the areas that you feel interest you the most and build on that.
Good luck in your decisions.
hth's
xx

Thanks Miss Pink23 :green:
I want to carry on with the NVQ - I think it's important. I just need to build on the education. It was very basic and I guess effectively gave me an intro to the different systems...I think if I were to go back in time I'd have gone straight for a CND course and done one system at a time.
I just now need to try and plug the gaps where my confidence is lacking and carry on working for my NVQ. I sent off today for some CND training info to see how they can help.

thanks for the reply xxx

Hi there !I did my nail training last year - I did all 3 systems, nail art, manicure and pedicure in 3 days!!! Looking back not the best course I could have done - neither was it cheap! I'm also working towards an NVQ - the deadline for my entry and assessment is by the end of next September (2009). *
**What a shame you didn't come to us before choosing such an outrageous course!* Companies that offer these should be run out of town for their total disregard for not only the poor people like you being conned, but for the standards within the industry as a whole.* (BTW not having a go at you here, just some greedy, unscrupulous companies!)*So where do you go from here?* Reading between the lines I think you want someone to tell you to cut loose, start again and go with Creative?!* So my advice is cut loose, start again and GO WITH CREATIVE!!!!:lol:* THEN you will see what real training is and boy will you be impressed!*Good luck hun - you'll get your salon one day, everything come to he who waits and the best things are worth waiting for :hug:

:) Thanks Sassy - I've been having a well earned peaceful break in Ireland. Thanks for your encouraging words - I've come back more determined than ever. A few changes are needed and an enquiry to the Creative team and I know I'll get back on track in no time !
x

Hiya,

I am just starting my evening course of VTCT in Mani & Pedi at Oxford college so I'm starting right from the beginning as I'm not as lucky as you to have already completed a previous course!

Just like you, I left school and went straight into work as my Mum said I needed to, and have also been stuck in various, slightly-well-paid office jobs since then. I also have debt problems, which prevented me from doing any courses as I couldn't afford it. I'm 24 now, and decided it's about time I get on with learning my dream job - becoming a fully qualified Nail Technician! The college has offered me to pay the course fee over the year, so I'm so excited to be attending my 1st evening tomorrow! :green:

I wish you the best of luck in whatever route you decide to take! It's never too late! :hug:

Luv D* xXx

Looking at all the repies to this thread, I remember when I was younger and I wanted to be the bosses secretary so that I can learn how to run a business when I get older. This never happened because I my aunt didn't believe in me so I went to college instead and did business studies, accounting and other subjects. Don't despare, it may take a long time for you to get where you want to be, I waited patiently to get to where I am today and I wouldn't change that journey for anything. Chin up and enjoy :hug: :hug:

You are so lucky to have Amanda Fontanarrosa (CND international Ambassador of the year) living near to you.

Why not ring Sweet Squared 08452106060 and speak to one of the girls in Education an ask if Amanda can arrange some 121 classes for you to give you your CND Foundation Course?? You know, anything is possible if you want it badly enough.

Maybe your positive thoughts have brought this opportunity to your door!!

I did the NVQ route to start my career in nails and found it thorough and methodical. I continued by doing the Creative conversion once I felt confident. I made the right decision with my training and would not change anything. Good luck x

Just visiting this thread back - it's been a while since I posted it and I want to say thanks for everyones replies - sooo encouraging.:hug:
I'm pleased to say after lots of hardwork - since the New Year I'm back on track - ploughing through my NVQ - I didn't want to give up on it in the end or waste the money already spent....however...I bought Geeg's "Nail Class" - even though I'm still miffed about the lack of emphasis on rebalances in the practical part of the NVQ the guidance in Nail Class on the Rebalance together with the bits in my NVQ text books are helping me crack this part..so far so good getting there slowly!

GiGi - thanks for the details - I currently see a girl to have my nails done (one day might master doing my own, but I'll finish mastering other peoples first) who was trained by Amanda Fontanarossa - she has also recommended her and my goal is to contact her and take my first steps in becoming CND qualified. The girl I see creates beautiful nails - a real testament to the education received and the amount of practice she has put in. My nails are always being admired - one day I hope people will admire my work as much too ! Very inspiring...she's applying for her first ever comp soon !! When I'm brave enough I'll post some pics of my case studies. I did approach Sweet Squared a while back when I finished my NVQ practical originally but then hit my lull and didn't take it any further.

Hubby and I have a small setback at the moment as he is one of the unlucky to find himself without a job in this recession but - once finanaces are back on track I'll be straight on the phone to Amanda to get the next steps underway ! I can't wait ! Must confess a friend of mine trained with Creative but has given up nails and she gave me her left over liquid and powder to try and raved about her training etc - the bits I tried are brilliant and I can't wait to my continue the next steps of my education with Creative !! :hug:

...and to anybody else who's learning and may feel disheartened - keep going !!!

Just visiting this thread back - it's been a while since I posted it and I want to say thanks for everyones replies - sooo encouraging.:hug:
I'm pleased to say after lots of hardwork - since the New Year I'm back on track - ploughing through my NVQ - I didn't want to give up on it in the end or waste the money already spent....however...I bought Geeg's "Nail Class" - even though I'm still miffed about the lack of emphasis on rebalances in the practical part of the NVQ the guidance in Nail Class on the Rebalance together with the bits in my NVQ text books are helping me crack this part..so far so good getting there slowly!

GiGi - thanks for the details - I currently see a girl to have my nails done (one day might master doing my own, but I'll finish mastering other peoples first) who was trained by Amanda Fontanarossa - she has also recommended her and my goal is to contact her and take my first steps in becoming CND qualified. The girl I see creates beautiful nails - a real testament to the education received and the amount of practice she has put in. My nails are always being admired - one day I hope people will admire my work as much too ! Very inspiring...she's applying for her first ever comp soon !! When I'm brave enough I'll post some pics of my case studies. I did approach Sweet Squared a while back when I finished my NVQ practical originally but then hit my lull and didn't take it any further.

Hubby and I have a small setback at the moment as he is one of the unlucky to find himself without a job in this recession but - once finanaces are back on track I'll be straight on the phone to Amanda to get the next steps underway ! I can't wait ! Must confess a friend of mine trained with Creative but has given up nails and she gave me her left over liquid and powder to try and raved about her training etc - the bits I tried are brilliant and I can't wait to my continue the next steps of my education with Creative !! :hug:

...and to anybody else who's learning and may feel disheartened - keep going !!!

Where there's a will there's a way. I'm sorry to hear that things are tough for you right now but I know you will get there. Stay positive. The good techs out there are still making money despite the recession so being the best you can be is the way to go for sure. Best of luck to you and your family.

Latest posts

Back