Advice for colouring hair brown

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeganK1995

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need advice on colouring hair which is already a shade 5 to a shade 7.1. I’m going to use majirel cool cover which actually looks darker than the clients current hair colour. However the issue I have here is every time I colour the clients hair, it seems to soak the the colour too much and turns black even when using a shade 5 (koleston) previously. I’ve also read the reviews and the 7.1 turned others people hair nearly black too. Is there any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening and to make it turn out the colour it shows as on the colour chart? Should I use a 30 vol developer instead of 20? Any help would be appreciated!
Link to the majirel 7.1 shade
https://www.noihb.it/l-oreal-majirel-cool-cover-7-1-l-oreal-50ml
Thank you

Last edited:
This is a picture of the current hair colour

Attachments

• 68D65D6C-EFC9-4F30-A6B5-30E9E350BFF7.jpeg
    68D65D6C-EFC9-4F30-A6B5-30E9E350BFF7.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 20
Her hair doesn't look like a base 5 to be fair. But generally tint doesn't lift tint. So by adding any tint on top of any tint will result in more colour saturation, leaving you with a darker result. 9% is used for 2 levels of lift which is what you're trying to create so 6% is no good. If you want a true level 7 ash then you need to pre lighten and tone.

Would you say the current hair is lighter or darker than a base 5? She said this is what it was coloured with the last time, however it has not been coloured in 1 and a half years. And even though the 7.1 looks darker on the picture than the current hair, as it’s technically lighter, I will still need to lift the hair before tinting it?

Would you say the current hair is lighter or darker than a base 5? She said this is what it was coloured with the last time, however it has not been coloured in 1 and a half years. And even though the 7.1 looks darker on the picture than the current hair, as it’s technically lighter, I will still need to lift the hair before tinting it?
It looks more like a 7 to me, maybe 6 in areas and an 8 I some places, but that could be the lighting. If it's a mixture, you need to treat it like a an average colour of a level 7. If it's a 6 then you need to lighten it first.

Latest posts

Back