Advice for damaged nails please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.mrsm

Reaction score
I had really good nails until I started my nail technology course. 7 weeks of constant practice on each other and my nails were filed into oblivion, I've lost my apex where my nail plate was blended with the tip. No ones fault we were all training and all ended up in the same boat. I then did a gel overlay on myself in hope it would stay there and protect my nail while the damage grew out. I had loads of lifting despite my best efforts at prep and after trying to save my overlay several times I had to take it all off. It took an hour and a half to soak off!! I've had to scrape some of the gel away as it just wouldn't budge! So now my poor nails are obliterated and I feel really deflated as I want to be looking after nails not ruining them. Can anyone advise me the best course of action for my nails. I'm new to this so I would appreciate the advice. Do I just leave them? They are very thin and sore. I have IBX duo I can use. Do I just try a thin layer of gel to provide some strength and protection and no tips? TIA

Imo, the best thing would be to not apply any nail enhancement products. Since the nails are thin, they are susceptible to allergic reactions. I would apply a good nail oil, like cnd solar oil, until the nails grow out.

You guys at the nail school shouldn't be using an electric nail filer. You don't know what you are doing, and the natural nails should not be the canvas for you to practice on. The filer shouldn't be used on the natural nail until you've become highly skilled, not when ur a noob.

The following can cause lifting:

1. Poor product.
2. Improper bead forming. Eg too much water to powder.
3. Product on cuticles.
4. Thin nails from over filing.

I recommend learning acrylics in the following sequence:

1. Nail prep- causes of lifting.
2. Proper placement of tips.
2. Proper bead forming - getting the proper ration of liquid to powder.
3. Proper shape
4. E file. The electric file can be used on the acrylics.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for your reply, we are not using an efile!! I am a qualified in VCTC level 2 in nail treatments so I know not to touch this unless I'm trained. I certainly wouldn't be going anywhere near a natural nail with one. The filing was just using standard files, but where we were learning how to blend on each other we have all accidentally filed each other's nail plates down as well. I personally think we should've all been using practice hands to start but that's another story.

I did a gel overlay on myself not acrylic. I'm using Secrets led gel. So applied like this:

Sanitise
Dry manicure including cuticle work/shape nail
Buff nail
Remove dust
Dehydrate
Apply tip/shape/blend
Remove dust
Apply primer
Then my gel overlay has a bonder coat, builder gel, file to shape then top coat.

I think maybe gel isn't great for me as I have three boys and my hands are constantly in water? I considered going to see a good nail tech for acrylic as I'd never be able to do acrylic on myself, maybe that would b more durable for me in the future. All the products I use are professional, but I am new to enhancements so I need lots of practice still to get it right.

Thanks for your help, i will invest in some solar oil and try my IBX.

I see. So the over filing came from the blending of the tip on the nail. In that case, you should have watched someone who is good carry out this procedure. Because you are a noob, you'll hold the file in a awkward position that can easily damage the nail, which it sounded like you did. In any case, I recommend filing a tip glued onto a fake finger. Use that to develop your technique of tip blending without damaging the natural nail. The filer is usually very high grit, so as you can see, it doesn't take very to damage and thin the nail.

Gels are great for people who put their hands in water constantly. Because it provides a bit of strength and water proofs the nails. Without the gels, the nails would bend, break, and peel a lot easier.

You should work on your basic knowledge of gels. You must know that gels has to be cured with the lamp of that brand. Otherwise it will not cure correctly. Thats the very basic, which MANY MANY nail techs can't even do correctly. After knowing that, you can learn your gel placement and filing techniques.

Lastly, they make some really good products out there. You can build a gel nail without using tips. You can the tip form and make a nice artificial nail without needing to tip blend.

Last edited:
sorry I don't think I was very clear in my first post, I haven't over filed my own nails. I've had lots of student practising on me over 7 weeks and now my nail plate is very thin. This was a while back as wev all finished now. I think my filing technique is fine now but obviously we all have to start somewhere and mistakes are inevitably made when training and practising. I was really looking for advice on the best course of action for damaged nails as my gel overlays don't last very well on me before they lift. I've just bought some solar oil for me today and forms to try (not on me). I have passed all my exams but I'm still learning everyday so I do appreciate advice. I've learnt a lot from the nail techs on here.

Enhancements are for healthy nails in good condition and anything contrary to this will unfortunately effect their lasting power. Your nails may be too thin to support an enhancement at this stage.

Keep your nails as short as possible. Oil at least twice a day to encourage healthy new growth and even a clear standard nail polish will help a 'little' bit with strength and is much more easily removed, as needed with a gently remover until the damage grows out :)
Depending on how thin your natural nail is currently, I would be wary of curable products as you may experience painful heat spikes.
We'e all been there! It will grow out!

Thanks very much nailz, yes incidentally I was getting heat spikes last time I applied my gel which I haven't had before. Is a nail strengthener any good? I've heard conflicting advice about whether these are good for your nail or not. The help is much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back