Advice for dry extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starb

Reaction score
I fitted a half head of pre bonded extensions three weeks ago. The girl asked to have some bright bonds put through too as I have some in my hair which she liked. I supplied approximately 55 strands of brights free of charge as I had some left over from the packs I used in my own hair.

Fast forward 12 days and I'm doing a fitting near her house and do a courtesy check up. The hair was dry and matted and when I brushed the tangles out my hands and brush were coated in residue. I asked her what she used and she replied just shampoo. No conditioner whatsoever.

I ran through aftercare again and told her to reread the sheet I'd given her. I then advised her to wash her hair and make sure she rinses all the shampoo out and put a deep conditioner on them.

It's been 3 weeks since fitting and she's just contacted me to say they're still dry and matted. Having the same bonds in from the same pack and mine being like new I'm inclined to think it's an aftercare issue. Could she have done irreparable damage by not using conditioner for the first 12 days?

I'm going to see her next week to wash, deep condition, dry and style and see what the hair is like. Is there a deep conditioner anyone can recommend? And what would you recommend if she starts saying they're faulty, bearing in mind the aftercare issue. So glad problems don't come along very often. Two in one year can't be bad I suppose.

Has she got another colour in too?

If you mix two colours it can be hard to see which one is causing an issue.

Has she got another colour in too?

If you mix two colours it can be hard to see which one is causing an issue.

Yes, she has a dark brown and a bright colour. When I saw her both colours and her own hair were very dry which is why I originally suggested a deep conditioning treatment after using only shampoo for 12 days.

It could be the dArk brown but because it's mixed in with the bright colour they're all tangling and matting together.

I can't see a couple of shampoos without conditioner damaging the hair but if she's not following simple after care instructions then you don't know what else she might be doing. Does she style them a lot? Use heat protection? Are they pre bonded micro rings or pre bonded hot fusion?

Only asking because of you remove a few brown and a few bright coloured you can separate them and see if it's both colours or not.

If it's both colours and the bright ones you are wearing are fine then you have more evidence to demonstrate its her aftercare at fault.

If only one colour is dry then it will be the extensions at fault. A bad batch maybe.

Certain products can dry the hair out quite a lot, I've used blue shampoo before on blonde extensions and its ruined them making them dry and the texture has felt awful and then used the same hair purchased at the same time on another client that hasn't used blue shampoo and they've stayed in immaculate condition, if the dark is bad then its most likely a bad batch but if the colours are bad too its almost definitely something to do with your clients aftercare x

Is it remy hair? And is she using extension products? Beauty works 10 in one miracle spray is great x

I fitted a half head of pre bonded extensions three weeks ago. The girl asked to have some bright bonds put through too as I have some in my hair which she liked. I supplied approximately 55 strands of brights free of charge as I had some left over from the packs I used in my own hair.

Fast forward 12 days and I'm doing a fitting near her house and do a courtesy check up. The hair was dry and matted and when I brushed the tangles out my hands and brush were coated in residue. I asked her what she used and she replied just shampoo. No conditioner whatsoever.

I ran through aftercare again and told her to reread the sheet I'd given her. I then advised her to wash her hair and make sure she rinses all the shampoo out and put a deep conditioner on them.

It's been 3 weeks since fitting and she's just contacted me to say they're still dry and matted. Having the same bonds in from the same pack and mine being like new I'm inclined to think it's an aftercare issue. Could she have done irreparable damage by not using conditioner for the first 12 days?

I'm going to see her next week to wash, deep condition, dry and style and see what the hair is like. Is there a deep conditioner anyone can recommend? And what would you recommend if she starts saying they're faulty, bearing in mind the aftercare issue. So glad problems don't come along very often. Two in one year can't be bad I suppose.
Sounds to me like she just isn't washing it thoroughly, I've seen this loads of times. If the lengths aren't washed properly they become dry and matted, and behave very similar to non remy hair. Ask her when the problem stated, was it after the first wash or after she'd washed it a few times? 'Bad' hair would be apparent after 1, maybe 2 washes at the most. Give her hair a really good comb through, wash with a tiny blob of shampoo, about 2.5cm circumference and repeat until you get a good later. It won't lather up at all for the first few shampoos, don't be tempted to use more shampoo, just repeat until you get a really good lather. Make sure you work the lather into the ends. If necessary, add a little more shampoo to the ends by rubbing it into the palm side of your hands and then working into the lengths. Rinse, rinse, rinse and condition. You shouldn't need to use a special conditioner, washing out all the built up shampoo that's been left in will be enough. Talk her through it so she knows how to wash it properly in future.

Thank you every one who has taken the time to answer. I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow X

I thought I would update. It was definitely a case of poor aftercare - using awful products and not rinsing her hair enough and having a build up.

I gave her hair a good wash and condition with the shampoo and conditioner I recommended (& she declined), a blow dry and style and it was as good as new.

I ran through aftercare for the third time as she was using Gliss sleek shampoo and Garnier Fructis conditioner, so hopefully she now knows what she's doing. Thank you once again for your help X

Coconut Oil hair treatment works well for repairing damaged hair that has been over-processed, heat damaged or just dry.

Latest posts

Back