advice for my slightly tricky (and draining) client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonilee

Reaction score
Morning!! I did a spray tan on a new client last friday, it went really well no problems at all. My problem is this...before the appointment she rang me 6 times to discuss spray tanning, to get her friend to have one too, then to cancel her friends spray tan (and tell me all her friends problems)then again to apologise for her friends cancellation, then again to reiterate how to get to her house (by which point I was practically there!!) Anyway fair enough it was nothing shocking...anyways I did the tan went through the aftercare and went on my merry way.

She then called on Monday and was on the phone for 10 minutes telling me how much she liked the tan (I couldnt get her off the phone) then she called again to say her spots had got worse since the tan..then went on to say she didnt actually think it was the tan but could we leave her face out of the tan next time so I said yes thats fine. Then she rang me yesterday to basiclly say all that again (exhausting isnt it!!) So at the end of the conversation she said she definitely wanted to book a tan she was just wondering about her face....so I summed it up (kinda running out of patience yet remaining professionall of course) I said we could discuss it when she had her next tan at the consultation, I then also said my availability was less mobile as I was back in a salon (this is true not trying to pass her off).

SO!! She rings me last night about 9:30pm, books a tan on Friday at 12 noon, wasnt on the phone too long thank goodness. I wake up this morning to my mobile ringing at 7:25AM!! It was her number so I skipped to voicemail (I was half asleep) she then continued to ring on the landline and my partner picked up the phone and when she could get a word in she said I was asleep but I would call back. The lady insisted she waited...(she had already said she wanted to cancel) Anyway to cut a (already) very long story short, by the time I had been woken up came down 3 flights of stairs to find the phone she had hung up, she rang persistantly for over half an hour until I switched my phone off..she had also left a voicemail explaining. I didnt answer cos yes I was a bit annoyed but also I was trying to get my kids ready for the childminder and I knew how long she stay on the phone!!!

How do you deal with a client like that? She is harmless dont get me wrong but just very draining and annoying!!

I always have my phone on silent when I am sleeping/busy and would not give out my house phone. Ask her in the future just to call your mobile only, not your house phone and then call her back when you are ready.

The long phone conversations can be stopped by saying you are with a client and can't talk long the moment you pick up the phone. She is probably just an anxious person and will stop doing this so much when she gets to know and trust you better. :hug:

She may have been ringing loads as she didn't want to not tell you that she was going to miss the appointment and didn't trust the answerphone. Next time maybe you could text her to say you got her message or that you would get back to her later and then she would stop calling :hug:

People can be funny creatures!

Well let's have it right here..............this poor lady has obviously had a nervous breakdown or something similar. Like you say, harmless enough but if you're straight with her (which you haven't been), she'll get the message.

I'd answer the phone to her but say a firm but cheery "Sue (or whatever), can I stop you there? My business hours are from x to x so I'll call you back first thing tomorrow. Thanks Sue, speak soon. Bye".

If she calls during business hours, say a firm but cheery "Hi Sue, I'm with a client at the moment so I can't stop. I can't really add anything to what I've already told you about the tanning but don't you worry about a thing as I know it's going to look fab. Bye Sue".

She'll get the message............she's not stupid; just a worrier. You must be firm with these people. I had a lady call after having her Restylane and Botox at the salon. She was so hysterical that I could hardly understand her. She said that she looked so terrible, it hadn't worked and that her husband of 32yrs had walked out on her and she wanted her money back etc etc. I wouldn't mind but she had a face that only a mother could love to start with. I calmed her down and promised that she could come back a fortnight later to see the doctor and that any extra treatment would be free. A fortnight later, she didn't arrive for her appointment. I thought "CRAP!!! That's it! I can see the Sun headlines now "Botox didn't just get rid of my lines, but my hubby too". She answered the phone all happy and bright. When I told her she was due to come in, she said "Was I? I don't remember making an appointment. It looks great now thanks love so don't worry".

Take control. YOU are the expert, not them. xxx

Like you say, harmless enough but if you're straight with her (which you haven't been), she'll get the message.

I'd answer the phone to her but say a firm but cheery "Sue (or whatever), can I stop you there? My business hours are from x to x so I'll call you back first thing tomorrow. Thanks Sue, speak soon. Bye".

If she calls during business hours, say a firm but cheery "Hi Sue, I'm with a client at the moment so I can't stop. I can't really add anything to what I've already told you about the tanning but don't you worry about a thing as I know it's going to look fab. Bye Sue".

She'll get the message............she's not stupid; just a worrier. You must be firm with these people.

I totally agree with this advice.
Good luck!

I never give my clients my home number always my mobile and thats on silent. Tell her to get in touch by text because you are so busy you can't always answer your calls.

Well let's have it right here..............this poor lady has obviously had a nervous breakdown or something similar. Like you say, harmless enough but if you're straight with her (which you haven't been), she'll get the message.

She'll get the message............she's not stupid; just a worrier. You must be firm with these people. I had a lady call after having her Restylane and Botox at the salon. She was so hysterical that I could hardly understand her. She said that she looked so terrible, it hadn't worked and that her husband of 32yrs had walked out on her and she wanted her money back etc etc. I wouldn't mind but she had a face that only a mother could love to start with. I calmed her down and promised that she could come back a fortnight later to see the doctor and that any extra treatment would be free. A fortnight later, she didn't arrive for her appointment. I thought "CRAP!!! That's it! I can see the Sun headlines now "Botox didn't just get rid of my lines, but my hubby too". She answered the phone all happy and bright. When I told her she was due to come in, she said "Was I? I don't remember making an appointment. It looks great now thanks love so don't worry".

I totally agree with this advice
Be firm with her and hopefully she will get the message. I think that alot of lonely people tend to offload a bit on either hairdressers or therapists etc and whilst as we are working on them it is not a problem but when it is invading your personal time regularly it becomes a nightmare :irked:
It would be difficult for me too put my phone on silent as I like to have it near by bed incase of emergencies and also I use it as an alarm clock. AND ANYWAY why should you put your phone on silent:!::!::!:
I would be firm with her now and explain that 7.25am is a bit early and if she continues I think I would tell her to go elsewhere . Sorry but I would xxxxxxx

Brow Queen you just had me in stitches I am quite new to this site and that is the funniest post (a face only a mother could love!)

I totally agree with the comments though not too harsh but very firm should do the trick!

xx

I've generally found that clilents are like this due to one of two things, lack of trust or something else going on in their life. Both of these have been mentioned in the replies above.

The "something else going on in their life" is a tough one, as people can try to look for something else to focus on rather than their problems, which means they spend a little bit too much time thinking about their next beauty treatment. Stressed individuals also don't think about the time they are ringing, as they are so highly strung they think that they must do everything immediately or their house of cards will fall down around their ears.

The lack of trust bit is the easier one to deal with, and as has already been suggested, being firm but polite with the client should suffice. People with problems in their personal life can be a little more difficult, but i personally would never "release them as a client", purely because it is those people who are more likely to remain loyal because "you helped them when times were bad" ect ect, and none of us can afford to loose clients, but of course this is all down to personal choice. The only thing I would do with someone like this is gently remind them of your opening hours, reassure them and try and ensure that their calls do not effect your work. Unfortunately, sometimes we get the rough end of the stick in our industry.

if you feel bad telling her not to call you ou of hours to her face just print off a little thing on the computer, stating your working hours, how you can be contacted, cancellation policy etc etc. I hae these at my shop so that everyone knows all this info without me having to tell them, but i got a big gob so if a client is bein a pain i let them know! lol. politely of course!! you cant let clients take over ALL your time!!!

I don't know if this is much help as your clients will allready have your contact numbers, but I bought a second mobile phone for work. Then if I don't feel like answering my personal phone I don't have to. And my work phone is separate, so it can be on silent outside of work hours.

Also, I don't use my home phone for work purposes, Our jobs can be stressful enough without having clients call during family time etc.

Latest posts

Back