Advice for nail courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikeyfaerie

Reaction score
Hiya

I've popped over from Hair Geeks. I'm mobile and wanting to add to my services - since cuts and colours only really give me repeat clients every 6-8 weeks at best I'm thinking about doing nails as well.

I just wanted to ask your opinions on which type of nails are good for mobile - in terms of amount of kit, time it takes to do, cost of materials etc. Obviously I will be pricing to cover material costs but I don't want to go for something really expensive straight away that I'd have to charge a small fortune straight off the bat.

I've had a look at Capital Nail Technician Training Courses - Capital Hair & Beauty but I don't know which would be worth the money!

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

EDIT: Should probably add that I'm in the Glasgow area.

Last edited:
Anyone have any opinions???

Have I asked something wrong? I really thought someone would at least be able to say "I'm mobile and the such-and-such technique is really nifty"... :(

I did ask in Nails but have had no replies.

Basically, I'm contemplating doing a nail course to offer more to my clients. I just need advice on which method is best for being mobile, ie one that doesn't involve a ton of equipment, isn't overly expensive but still good value and quality etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi, you may not have had replies because it's unclear of exactly what info you are after.

What do you mean by you want to do nails? What kind of nails? Natural nails? Nail enhancements? Manicures? Pedicures? Etc!

Personally I would stay well clear of Capital for any nail related course. I would recommend you take a look at the Sweet Squared website for CND training, it's second to none in my opinion. Then once you've had a look give them a call. They'll be more than happy to help with any questions you have and to support you throughout your training.

Rhiannon x

Hi, agreed CND are great, but LCN are also brilliant (their website is beauty concepts.... something!! Google it!) I can't speak for CND, because I purely use them for Shellac, but LCN do nail enhancements and manicures & pedicures, all under the LCN brand. I'd imagine CND do the same to be honest. Good luck, x

Thank you. Sorry that I wasn't clear with my query.

I want to offer nail art, extensions, manicure...I just don't know what is feasable to offer when it's not in a salon so having to carry and store kit. I don't want to have to drag a lot of equipment aroind hence me asking which techniques and services are best suited to mobile. There seems to be so many names: shellac, gellish etc that it's hard to know where to start really.

I will have a look at both those companies, thank you.

NSI have a training centre in Glasgow. They have lots of courses and could talk your options through with you. Or near Edinburgh CND training is available at the fingertips centre.
Your going to need to start by learning manicure first then pick either a power polish like shellac or gel like opi or gellish for colours and then maybe add nail enhancements with acrylic. There are plenty of brands and colours out there.

If I were you I would do my manicure/pedicure course and then take a course for Shellac or Gel Polish. This is easier to get a return on your investment within a shorter period of time and is more desirable as an add on to you hair business. These treatments have definitely taken over a lot of the enhancement business with, for instance, 70% of my enhancement clients switching over to gel polish. The repeat is every 2 weeks.

The products/colours can be built up over a period of time and you can find out from clients what sort of colours will appeal to them. Your kit would be relatively easy to carry as well so no problems there really.

Hope this helps! :green:

I'm mobile and I do everything in miniature. When I got my CND Trial kit I kept all the little bottles and decant into them.

Obviously they only had CND products in them so no contamination. Also I decant cool blue scrub fresh devolve disperse.

That way it drastically cuts down on carrying products. Just don't decant into anything that has had a different product in it because of service breakdown.

Xx

I have been thinking about this too, but everything seems to be very costly, not to mention the price of training. I know some people don't rate one day courses and I do get that. If someone said they did a one day course in hairdressing, I wouldn't let them near me!x

Hi I am moving this to Consumer Queries, as any questions from aspiring nail tech's should go there, and shall merge your other thread to this one, no need for 2 threads asking the same question lol ;)

Until you get some answere maybe you could do a search on the site on Nail Courses, you will be amazed at how many threads there have already been on this subject. Good Luck.

Regarding what system you should start with, I would recommend acrylic (liquid &powder) it is the most difficult to master therefore is the best to do a full beginners course in and get the best training you can. It is still the most requested system for nail enancements from clients.

I totally agree with shedunlop.

I too would start with manicure/pedicure then head down the Shellac or gel polish route. I introduced Shellac to my business in December and 80% of what I do is now Shellac. I've just recently gone mobile from salon work and I have all of my manicure, pedicure and Shellac equipment all in one box that folds out for easy access. I also take a big bag with towels, CND lamp and my appointment books.

With regards to bottles I bought the smallest for my kit then bought the biggest to top it up with. So it's not an awful lot to carry.

Hope this helps,
Rhiannon x

Thank you so much, sorry for putting it in the wrong place.

The decanting idea sounds fab...I might even do that for my peroxide bottles for colouring!

You have all been super helpful and I am away to look up all the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back