Advice from all you L&P geeks please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ophala

Reaction score
Hi all - i just want some advice about 'funking up' my nails a bit!

i want to have a little experiment with some glittery nails for xmas but don't really know where to start.

i think i want my nails a bit longer than they are now (they're quite short with NNO L&P in a pinky colour - not done by me and not the same brand i use).

is it best for me to soak off what i have on and apply clear tips or soak off and sculpt or thin down and sculpt?

also when i come to re-do them do i have to soak off and start again if i want a diff colour ?

i'm not good at colour fades so will prob be a coloured tip or something.

thanks for any help u give!! xx

I would soak off and start from scratch,
it is up to you if you sculpt or tip,
if you are going to be changing your colours, use a clear tip, apply a thin overlay of clear then the thin overlay of coloured glitter powder and then cap with a thin clear overlay
if you are going to sculpt it is the same really, apply a thin free edge of clear then a thin overlay of your coloured glitter powder and then another thin overlay of clear to cap
by placing your clear first, when it comes to changing colours on a rebalance you just file it back to the base of clear and start again with the colour that you want to use hth

I would soak off and start from scratch,
it is up to you if you sculpt or tip,
if you are going to be changing your colours, use a clear tip, apply a thin overlay of clear then the thin overlay of coloured glitter powder and then cap with a thin clear overlay
if you are going to sculpt it is the same really, apply a thin free edge of clear then a thin overlay of your coloured glitter powder and then another thin overlay of clear to cap
by placing your clear first, when it comes to changing colours on a rebalance you just file it back to the base of clear and start again with the colour that you want to use hth

ah thanks - the tips i will prob use though are well-less clear tips so no blending - would i apply the clear bead so that the join of the tip to my nail is blended in together, if u know what i mean?? xx

You can do, the only reason you are putting down clear first is so that you can change the colour without have to change the set each time,
you can create your smile line where ever you want it to be when you apply the glitter colour,
have you worked with glitter powders before ?
if not you need to know that you work just slightly wetter with the glitter layer

i've used them a couple of times just on the tip, i dont have very exciting colours tho. i find them easier to use than my regular powders, feel like they set more slowly so give me more time to work with them!!

i'll just have to have a play i think and see what happens - worst comes to worst i'll paint them!!

def gona soak off what i have on now as i have since taken my nail varnish off and they have all lifted really badly round cuticle coz she didnt do any prep!!

You can go to the hobby shop and buy any colour of the really fine glitter and mix it with either a coloured powder or a clear powder,
you don't need to buy expensive powders to have glitter powders hth

You can go to the hobby shop and buy any colour of the really fine glitter and mix it with either a coloured powder or a clear powder,
you don't need to buy expensive powders to have glitter powders hth

Louby lou you beat me to it . . . I've done this recently and it's worked fabulously (I also use Ezflow Boogie Nights but that it quite a strong look with the colours I have, mixing the glitter with powder gives you many more options)

Tonight I have done a set with twinkly white glitter mixed with white acrylic and it looked superb, she was so pleased and it worked great :green:

i'm just a bit apprehensive about mixing my own glitters as i think i'd make the most huge mess!!! plus i'm worried my brush will get glitter in that i won't be able to clean out!!

i might buy some and give it a try tho just on some spare tips

Louby lou you beat me to it . . . I've done this recently and it's worked fabulously (I also use Ezflow Boogie Nights but that it quite a strong look with the colours I have, mixing the glitter with powder gives you many more options)

Tonight I have done a set with twinkly white glitter mixed with white acrylic and it looked superb, she was so pleased and it worked great :green:
Try mixing the white iridescent glitter with black powder, it gives a great blueish green sparkle and looks lovely

It's actually easy! You'll be fine! I would do all the tips first, then cleanse the brush in monomer before doing the body of the nail . . . but a second brush would be ideal really

i'm just a bit apprehensive about mixing my own glitters as i think i'd make the most huge mess!!! plus i'm worried my brush will get glitter in that i won't be able to clean out!!

i might buy some and give it a try tho just on some spare tips
You wont get into a mess hun, transfer your glitter and powder into a empty powder jar or the smaller ones and give it a good shake,
mix it 50/50 then try it on a tip and see if you like it,
if its too sparse and more glitter if its too strong add more powder,
you can start with a level teaspoon of each and this will give you more than enough for a full set,
you do really need to be using a separate brush, you will be able to get it clean but it takes forever to get all the glitter out

thanks for ur help.

i'm going to be going to the OPI head office in the morning now so think will just buy a few more of their glitters while i'm there - much more expensive i know but easier for me!!

not sure how the clear layer of L&P will go as i have problems with my thickness.

is it possible to file down the glitter free edge a bit before capping in clear to thin it all down or will this not work?

is it possible to file down the glitter free edge a bit before capping in clear to thin it all down or will this not work?

Generally the reason for capping the glitter with clear is to protect the glitter when filing - you might loose most of the sparkle.

Work with smaller beads, that might help with your bulk problem. Good luck with it :hug:

thanks all!!

not gona have time for a go until mon or tues but hopefully i will post some pics if they're not too awful!!

The clear is to protect the glitter.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE is what will help with your thickness issue. I've spent 2 days a week for the past three months just working on application on tips and it has made an enormous difference. I've literally gone from mountains of acrylic to file into shape to nicely shaped nails that need very little filing at all. The best thing you can do is nail (ha, ha) your mix ratio and application.

S

One of my clients has told me that she bought some lovely ultra fine glitters from House of Fraser, small vials i'm guessing about 5gm size for 62p each. I have some that the lovely pips sent me that are the same as the one client showed me (Client is a nail tech).

HTH

Rachel

right, i had a little play around this afternoon with my new glitter powders.......what do u think??

the silver/gold glitter fade is my first ever one but please excuse the bare patch in the corner!!!

i think next week i'll be doing a full set of silver tips like the index finger !

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x204/ophala/IMG_1027.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x204/ophala/IMG_1019.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x204/ophala/IMG_1032.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x204/ophala/IMG_1033.jpg

Looks like you have been having loads of fun,
they all look great, my favorites are the nagger finger and birdie finger as i call it lol,
your nails will look fab next week if you do them all with silver tips :hug:

Well done! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

S

Latest posts

Back