Advice from all you Session Nail Technicians on Portfolio

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisenewell

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Please could I ask for some advice from all you geeks out there that have BEEN SIGNED/HAVE A CONTRACT WITH A AGENCY for Nail session work
I am looking into building up a portfolio to take to various agents and would like to know the following...

-What size are the prints is your portfolio...8x10?
-How many prints/different looks on average should there be?
-Should all work be in colour?
-Is it more advisable to have "natural"work as oppossed to acrylic and/or nail art?
-Any other advice...

I do not want to pay out "Good"money for a photography session only to have walked away with images that are useless or irrelevant

Thank You
Louise

I would have a few natural pictures, with some nail art then pick your favourite acrylic and gel pics and include them! I just have the normal size photos in mine and put two pics on one page, show off what u can do and clients like to look through it and pick the ones they want. Hope that helps xx

I would have a few natural pictures, with some nail art then pick your favourite acrylic and gel pics and include them! I just have the normal size photos in mine and put two pics on one page, show off what u can do and clients like to look through it and pick the ones they want. Hope that helps xx

Thanks
But i am looking at going to a agency to do professional session work...so the photos/images are completely different from "salon"standard nails which i already have a folder full of...
I think the agencys are looking for something completely different

Why not ring around a few agencies and ask their preferences?

In over 15 years of doing high level sessions work, I've done l&p and UV gel less than a handful of times. Nearly every thing in this type of work needs speed and is temporary, I.e. if you need to put nails on then you need to take them off before you leave.

The big agencies need to see published work and not just a self made portfolio (yes, I know, chicken and egg!). Some small agencies may accept a self made portfolio and this would need to be a variety of short, long, extended, natural, painted, nail art .

Hope this helps a bit

In over 15 years of doing high level sessions work, I've done l&p and UV gel less than a handful of times. Nearly every thing in this type of work needs speed and is temporary, I.e. if you need to put nails on then you need to take them off before you leave.

The big agencies need to see published work and not just a self made portfolio (yes, I know, chicken and egg!). Some small agencies may accept a self made portfolio and this would need to be a variety of short, long, extended, natural, painted, nail art .

Hope this helps a bit

Thank you Marian.I was hoping you might pick up on this post.
Like you said..it is chicken/egg.
Exactly how do i get published work??That is the question.
Unfortunately it appears to me that it can very much be a case of not what you know but who you know...
I think I am just going to have to keep begging David to let me carry his bag for him,lol

A sessions tech needs to be doing the type of jobs that need an assistant (eg several models at once, 1 or 2 models don't need an assistant and it isn't 'done' just to take one for the hell of it. I hear about couple of people that do and they look silly). By doing that, the photographer and/or stylist may accept the assistant on a later job.

All my assistants get the opportunity to do their own shoot quite quickly. As I'm so busy there are plenty of jobs to 'give away'. The best assistant is one that always says 'yes' without fuss and almost always on a moments notice. Something to bare in mind as that is how this job works

A sessions tech needs to be doing the type of jobs that need an assistant (eg several models at once, 1 or 2 models don't need an assistant and it isn't 'done' just to take one for the hell of it. I hear about couple of people that do and they look silly). By doing that, the photographer and/or stylist may accept the assistant on a later job.

All my assistants get the opportunity to do their own shoot quite quickly. As I'm so busy there are plenty of jobs to 'give away'. The best assistant is one that always says 'yes' without fuss and almost always on a moments notice. Something to bare in mind as that is how this job works

Thank you very much for your words of wisdom Marian.Your advice is priceless
x

Latest posts

Back