Advice from hair professional please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimpearce

Having a ball with nails!
Reaction score
I have my hair coloured regularly and have found that the last 2 times when my roots are done, they are lighter than the rest of the hair. The roots are coming through quite white/grey now and wonder if this is the reason? If so, what is the best way to combat this? Should I go a lighter colour (I am dark brown) and what is the best way to do this? Thanks so much for any advice.:)

you dont say whether the colour is permanant or not . the % of white will influence the colour . for a better coverage you will need to have a colour with more base shade in eg- natural colour in

Sorry yes it is permanent and when the roots grow they are grey/white. Can you recommend a good colourant?

everything liana had said is right, another thing would be to not take the colour through the rest of the hair once you have done your roots, browns build up on the hair so you end up with the two different tones once coloured, or just take it through for the last 10 mins or so to even out

are u getting this done professionally?

Yes I am getting it done professionally and am so disappointed as I have used the same salon for 7 years or more - unless the junior mixed the colour up incorrectly as I have a mix of 1/2 552 and 1/2 4 but for some reason the roots look brighter red :confused: I am considering doing it myself from now on though and wondered if anyone can recommend a good colour I can buy from Sally's?

Thanks.

its the redin the colour thhats stopping it from covering s well she could try a differant mix of the 2 ,but for complete coverage it may have to go

Which bit is the red the 552 or 4? I know 5 is the base brown colour so what mix would you suggest? Thanks.:)

usually the single no is the base ,so im guessing the 4

the 4 would be the base, they could try mixing

1/4 3
1/4 4
1/2 552

that would give a better coverage and more depth with out going a whole shade down, its a bit trial and error sometimes....although u could try a whole shade down with

1/2 3
1/2 552

but u could risk goin a little to dark...but thats probably the lesser of two evils in ur case.

or u may be able to stick to the 4 and go with a 452 if such a shade exists within their colouring system.

the problem with white hair is that it grabs the fashion tones i.e the reds and plums, the general thing is that when theres alot of white you need to go down a shade from ur ideal to get it to the colour u would like, the ratios need to be at least 1/2 base shade to 1/2 fashion tone.

why dont u tell them ur not happy with the outcome at the moment, and tell them what we'v suggested, if uv been goin for 7 years ur obviously happy there bar the last couple of times, it seems a shame to loose their services, why not give them one more chance? hth's :)

Latest posts

Back