Advice/help/encouragement ...anything :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairByCharlotte

Reaction score
Hey everyone im a bit down in the dumps :( basically i was working in a salon for 5 years and left 6 months ago and was doing part time mobile and i got a job 3 days a week in a salon (as i wasn't busy enough to go fully mobile) so this was great because it meant if i wasnt busy with my mobile work then at least i knew i had the salon wage to fall back on.

to be perfectly honest I didnt really like this salon much there was only 4 of us in there and i really felt like the outsider and it was a village salon and i just didnt like the atmosphere.

So I go in on saturday morning at 8.30 (takes me half hour to drive there) all ready to start the day and my boss takes me to one side and basically says there is not enough work for me here and that she cannot employ me anymore so she would like me to getmy things and leave! just like that no warning or anything. I must add that I was NOT on a contract which i thought you had to be especialloy if I was working there 6 months.

Anyway regardless i got my things and left ... me being a sop i burst out into tears when i got into the car purely for the fact of ...what am i going to do?!

Alot of my family have said look at this as a positive you were going to leave there eventually to go full time mobile its just happened sooner than you thought concentrate on your mobile business... which is what I would like to do but I am not looking that busy! i've looked for salon jobs online in the paper etc near my area and i cant find anywhere and if im honest with you I definitly dont want to go into another salon if its like that again!

Has anyone got any advice/sympathy for me - what would you do? or anyone who, like me, was not that busy and has ideas on how to advertise etc. obviously i dont want to spend a bomb as i dont have it :( i have read the thread in the biz geek on ways to promote your business though... or would you try and get a part time job too even if its just doing something that isnt hairdressing?

sorry for my rant but its nice to talk to hairdressers sometimes other than your family and friends who will just say something to make you happy lol

xxxx

How is the mobile business going? It seems like you're happy doing mobile so it might suit you more doing this full time.

If you can't fully rely on it just yet then why not look out for another salon that might suit you better.

I know you've taken a knock but you will come back stronger from this.

I went mobile 7 months ago now due to moving down to Dorset whit my husband in the army, it's hard at first but I set up a Facebook page and advertised on local buy sell and swap pages, local buissiness pages and put buissiness cards from vista prints in the local shop and that's when I noticed a big difference! Facebook has gotten me most of my clients and also recommendations once I'd done a few hairs :). It's horrible to begin with when your say waiting on someone to get in contact but it soon picks up! You will get there and when you do you won't want to work for anyone else again lol. I miss having workmates but that's when I come on here as everyone is so nice and helpful and always willing to help you out! Don't worry just focus and you'll be fine xxx

How is the mobile business going? It seems like you're happy doing mobile so it might suit you more doing this full time.

If you can't fully rely on it just yet then why not look out for another salon that might suit you better.

I know you've taken a knock but you will come back stronger from this.

I am happy doing mobile I love it it's just quite slow at the moment :( and like I say I have looked but will try and keep looking thanks for replying xx

The same thing happened to me the 1st weekend back after Christmas! I did all her rubbish jobs for her then she sat me down and told me to leave due to no work! I was in shock, had no contract, the tax man didn't know bout me so couldn't do anything! So I went mobile, gt cards made, website made and it's getting ther, taking time bt slowly liking up! Just go for it, you won't regret it xxx

OMG me too because I wasnt busy I was shampooing cleaning walking her f@king dog the lot! To be honest I'm glad I'm out but it was the money I liked! As anybody would! Was you there full time or part time? Thanks for replying. X x

I went mobile 7 months ago now due to moving down to Dorset whit my husband in the army, it's hard at first but I set up a Facebook page and advertised on local buy sell and swap pages, local buissiness pages and put buissiness cards from vista prints in the local shop and that's when I noticed a big difference! Facebook has gotten me most of my clients and also recommendations once I'd done a few hairs :). It's horrible to begin with when your say waiting on someone to get in contact but it soon picks up! You will get there and when you do you won't want to work for anyone else again lol. I miss having workmates but that's when I come on here as everyone is so nice and helpful and always willing to help you out! Don't worry just focus and you'll be fine xxx

Thank you in going to try the business cards I do my website through vista print anyway but nave actually got the business cards they do them free sometimes don't they so I may put them I shops and maybe beauty salons too? And I could recommend the beauty salon. I do hair extensions as well but so many people in my area do them thanks for replying xx

This isn't what you want to hear but if you were mobile at the same time as working in a salon that's why you lost your job!! Your a risk to a salon and it's clientele...I would never employ under these circumstances.

I also understand how people feel when you've been let go but I'm not so sure it's a great idea going into great detail about your employment and tax on here!! The world and their dog can see it! Maybe a few things should be removed? X

I had to travel about half hour to this salon and they didn't know I did mobile so I wouldn't travel that far anyway if I was to do the client mobile if you know what I mean.

What part do u think I should delete I didn't think I'd mentioned about tax x

I had to travel about half hour to this salon and they didn't know I did mobile so I wouldn't travel that far anyway if I was to do the client mobile if you know what I mean.

What part do u think I should delete I didn't think I'd mentioned about tax x

No not in your post hun x

hi sorry to hear this bad news but everything happens for areason.

i live in portugal times are hard here and its taken along time to build up my work. my business is all word of mouth through the expats and i and nicely busy.

ideas:
i did a few ladies luncheons and gave first visit discounts, these meetings often have up to 50 women so have a look in your area. also i went to the bowls games and other local weekly things going on and spoke to people and got myself known.

i also did an open day at my home got lical lady to come that sells clothes, another that sold handmade jewerly, cake decorating lady that offers classes and got donations from local buisness to do a raffle for breast cancer. plus hair and beauty chats and demos of course.

people taking part had to tell everyone they knew ( and bring a friend and get a discount thankyou voucher) it was a great day about 80 plus people came. we gave goodie bags with our details in and a little something and raised 250€ for cancer which went in the paper for free (they mentioned us so free advertising)
i think i got 11 new clients from this who have now told others about me.

my advice is get out there and chat with people, gel with them... a bit nerve racking for you but word will get out,

also make a plan of where to go. look in local papers, another one is craft classes, offer the organizers a free cut to give you a bit of visual adverising.

pensioners are often good i think 80% of my clients are 60 and over.
you could suggest to one to go to her home and arrange to have her friends round, if she gets 4 friends wanting a cut or something give her a free cut.

always get numbers and emails to send little reminders or offers

once you start thinking and looking the list will grow and its something you can start doing straight away, aim for having a plan by friday :)

i hope that helps stay positive
susan x

Sent from my GT-I9001 using SalonGeek

Sent from my GT-I9001 using SalonGeek

Thank you susiray you are right now that I have time on my hands I've got to get my self out there and promote till the cows come home! Lol x

Hi Charlotte im not a hairdresser but nail tech/beauty and i was in same position as you, was working in an office that i hated and wanted to get back to what i love doing...nails....anyway 18 months ago few weeks before xmas i was made redundant, i felt like ****!! id given them evrything and that was how i was repaid!!

its taken me a while to get back on my feet for various reasons but things are just starting to pick up, ive been invited to do a wedding exhibition this weekend and have a few more lined up.....look at losing your job positively!! get cards done, leaflet drop everywhere, keep facebook and website updated with pics etc!!! it will happen,it is hard and you may be broke for a while but it will be worth it!

out of interest where abouts in luton are you, maybe we could help each other, im in toddington?x

Hi Charlotte im not a hairdresser but nail tech/beauty and i was in same position as you, was working in an office that i hated and wanted to get back to what i love doing...nails....anyway 18 months ago few weeks before xmas i was made redundant, i felt like ****!! id given them evrything and that was how i was repaid!!

its taken me a while to get back on my feet for various reasons but things are just starting to pick up, ive been invited to do a wedding exhibition this weekend and have a few more lined up.....look at losing your job positively!! get cards done, leaflet drop everywhere, keep facebook and website updated with pics etc!!! it will happen,it is hard and you may be broke for a while but it will be worth it!

out of interest where abouts in luton are you, maybe we could help each other, im in toddington?x

That would be great! I'll send you a private message on here x

I think this is a great oppertunity for you. She left you high and dry now you show her how busy you can be, It can be a great motivation. Plus You have the spare time now to retrain or refresh yourself on courses that you've may wanted to do. Think of it as an investment in yourself. Good luck xoxo

I really appreciate all your comments :) has made me feel much better xxx

Latest posts

Back