Advice...kinda of long

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carly1040

Reaction score
Hi All,
> I've been lurking for sometime and really need some advice.
>
> I just started working in a nail spa that just opened about a week ago.
> The concept is to get quick/quality service. The menu is very simple
> which I like.
>
> The problem me and the other techs are having is the time issue and
> would love some tips on how we can be quick but give a quality service.
>
> They want us to do a maniucre in 15 minutes and a pediucre in 20 minutes
> with the following steps:
> Manicure-sanitize, remove polish, file, soak, cuticle remover, cuticle
> work/nip, massage, buff, base, polish, top, quick dry, solar oil.
> Pedicure-All the normal steps that most people do in 45 min done in 20
> mins.
>
> We do get 10 mins extra for a french. We can't seem to get the time
> down. Would love suggestions.
>
> Also we offer acrylic and we use creative. None of us are that
> experienced in acrylic so we are all slow. One of the girls told them
> about backscratchers extreme and they want to know more about it. The girls told the owners it would be faster so they are interested in it. I would love to know the pros and cons of this product as I really know
> nothing about it. I would rather stick with creative and learning
> acrylic that way.
>
> Nobody is doing p/w they are doing one color and painting the p/w on the
> acrylic with polish which I am not crazy about but I also can't do a
> very good set of p/w powder very good so I might have to go that route.
>
> Anyway would love advice and thoughts on this. Also, Sam thanks for all of the tutorials they have helped me a great deal!
> Thanks to all
>
>
>
> ====================================

carly1040 said:
Hi All,

They want us to do a maniucre in 15 minutes and a pediucre in 20 minutes
with the following steps:
Manicure-sanitize, remove polish, file, soak, cuticle remover, cuticle
work/nip, massage, buff, base, polish, top, quick dry, solar oil.
Pedicure-All the normal steps that most people do in 45 min done in 20
mins.​

I take 30 minutes for a manicure........busy Central London location...........​
But how can you be expected do all that and do it properly in this short time????????????​
Ok is the owner a Nail Tech herself/himself??????? Is this just about earning money??????????​
I take 15 minutes for a reshape and varnish and I don't think I am slow!!!!​
But a full blown manicure in 15 minutes no way!!!!!!​

I am afraid, in order to do all that, that you have put here in 15 minutes, something has to give................ and that is usualy either sanitisation or something else...So why compromise your reputation and clients hygiene regime.........Educate your employer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

This sounds more like a bum in seat place and till ringing shop, then the come and enjoy the nail expirience shop...............!!!!!​
So I myself have no tips on how to get faster, because as far as I can see, a full manicure will take at least 30 minutes...................​

As for L&P french service, it takes time to become a good nail technician and then it takes some more time to become a good and faster nail Technician.....​
Training and practice will make you faster, but judging by the speed they want for a manicure, they will want a full set of P&W in 45 minutes.............​
NSS springs to mind then ..................​
Is this your first Nail Technician job????How long have you been qualified????​

HTH​

Hi Carly

I'm inclined to agree with what Ruth wrote I'm afraid.

If your passionate about nails and providing a quality service, then it's difficult to compromise this, and I really don't think a proper manicure can be provided in 15 mins!!!
If I were having a manicure and it was all over and done with in 15 mins I'd feel rushed not pampered and really wouldn't be happy.

If this place that you work doesn't have ANY experienced nail techs, and you are all under pressure to work to the clock, and to unrealistic times, then I really can't see how this can grow into a reputable salon??!! :rolleyes:

90% of my work as a nail tech is rebalancing my loyal customers, and if your customers are being rushed with their nails by inexperienced nail techs...will they keep wanting to come back??

Hmmmm.....sorry it's not much help, but I think what is being asked of you is unrealistic :| ...sorry...

Sope it's given you soemthing to thinka bout though?!

Jenny-Nails
Notts/Derbyshire

youre never gonna get it done in that time , nor should you be expected to. it takes 15 mins for base/polish/topcoat. if youre employer thinks you are too slow you should show him/her this message forum. im curious to know if you are charging less for these quickies , because i know if the prices were the same as a 45 min mani in another shop i would like to go elswhere. its not fair to put you under that much pressure.

I too agree with Ruths post on this :) It sounds as if the owners are in this just to make money, They want quantity rather than quality treatments done :rolleyes: I for one would not like to work in a place that makes you rush and not do as good a treatment.

Speed & quality are 2 words that do not go together!
A 15 minute appointment is a 'polish change' NOT a manicure!
Sounds like the employers in this case are more like slave drivers and no way could you be expected to do a good service in 15 minutes. A technician with experience couldn't do it so how can the inexperienced?
As for a pedicure in 20mins? Don't be Rediculous. Are they having a laugh?

Do you know why 99% of all these fast nail bars FAIL ... cause they do. It is because the employers have ZERO passion for the business and only see money in it. Trouble is, they never get the money because they haven't got the passion or even an attitude toward good service for their paying clients. Don't they have a clue as to accepted industry timing? Or do they (of course) think they know better? Like all the other failures.

They don't deserve to prosper, and with the attitude your employers have, they certainly wont ... I give it a year, tops!

Oh, gigi .... calm :eek: down!!!

they only want bums on seats and fast money in the till, it makes me :mad:

Hi there

what a terrible first experience you are having! I agree with all of the above and if your employers think that by getting back scratchers acrylic dip system in it will be quicker, they are sadly mistaken.
On the advertising they say you can do a full set of tips in 1/2 an hour well yes but
1) if they are french
2) if you are very fast
3) If your clients have perfect nails!! (we know this dosent happen often dont we!!)

We have this system in our salon as a quick system that we use mainly for clients who want a set of nails for their holiday or a wedding ect. (they soak off quite quickly about 15-20mins)
To be realistic and we are experienced nail techs we still take an hour to hour and a half, we prob could do it faster but we dont like to rush! we have pride in our work!!

Maybe this is not the salon for you!!

Good luck with your future and DONT let this put you off PLEASE!!

After reading your post Carly, I felt sad for you. It sounds like you want to do the best job you can but you are realising it isn't possible in your current situation. I would think about working somewhere where you can do your best and learn to be a true tek using both P&W and doing manics/pedics in the correct time as opposed to being dictated to and having to do a second rate job that you feel guilty over. If you can change their minds on the time issues - great, but it sounds like their minds are made up - problem is, your mind is telling you otherwise!! I'd go with gut instinct and see what else is out there!! Best of Luck and keep us posted as to what you end up doing!!

sawasdee ka

i never realy look time for service in salon b4 only for nail enhancement and facial but today i look clock and we do manicure pedicure with polish for lady and take 75 minute and if she want can have 30 min more extra on for spa .

we do man manicure pedicure and i do take me 58 minute and can have 30 min add on for spa .

To work rush rush no good for you and every thing you learn is have waste work salon same you work .

I want to know if have customer many come your shop because if you have salon same this Thailand Thai people come only 1 time not come back to your salon .

my brother very good draw cartoon but him in Bangkok if he was phuket i ask him draw cartoon with man and have shoe and socks under his arm and with girl push him out of the door shout next and you can give to the owner :) .

I hope you can find better place to work and have happy for your work i think your owner can not keep staff long time with give them work the way he want .

Thank you mui

I just soooo got that cartoon image in my head Mui - I think you should be a stand-up comedian, you always make me giggle!!! :lol:

Thanks to all who responded to my post. There are two women that own the business and they are not nail people. They decided to open this business because they said they could go to New York, california, etc and get fast decent service. I feel they have to be referring to the nss salons.

Anyway thanks for all of the advice I now know that I am not going crazy having doubts about what they are doing.

Love this site and I will be posting more. I got the nail trainer and I love it! My next hurdle is tackling acrylics.

carly1040 said:
Thanks to all who responded to my post. There are two women that own the business and they are not nail people. They decided to open this business because they said they could go to New York, california, etc and get fast decent service. I feel they have to be referring to the nss salons.

I think that says it all really - these ladies have absolutely no idea!!

Anyway thanks for all of the advice I now know that I am not going crazy having doubts about what they are doing.

Love this site and I will be posting more. I got the nail trainer and I love it! My next hurdle is tackling acrylics.
Good luck....and don't be afraid to voice your opinions;)

Adele

mui said:
sawasdee ka

i never realy look time for service in salon b4 only for nail enhancement and facial but today i look clock and we do manicure pedicure with polish for lady and take 75 minute and if she want can have 30 min more extra on for spa .

we do man manicure pedicure and i do take me 58 minute and can have 30 min add on for spa .

To work rush rush no good for you and every thing you learn is have waste work salon same you work .

I want to know if have customer many come your shop because if you have salon same this Thailand Thai people come only 1 time not come back to your salon .

my brother very good draw cartoon but him in Bangkok if he was phuket i ask him draw cartoon with man and have shoe and socks under his arm and with girl push him out of the door shout next and you can give to the owner :) .

I hope you can find better place to work and have happy for your work i think your owner can not keep staff long time with give them work the way he want .

Thank you mui

:D I would love to see that cartoon, you are so funny, and so right. I loved everyones answers. This sounds like a terriable place to work and a worse place to go unless you are on your lunch 1/2 hour. Even then I would not feel very pampered or like I got much for my money. Think I would just rather come to your place, sounds much more relaxing and you sound like a real sweet person.
Suzanne

carly1040 said:
Hi All,
> I've been lurking for sometime and really need some advice.
>
> I just started working in a nail spa that just opened about a week ago.
> The concept is to get quick/quality service. The menu is very simple
> which I like.
>
> The problem me and the other techs are having is the time issue and
> would love some tips on how we can be quick but give a quality service.
>
> They want us to do a maniucre in 15 minutes and a pediucre in 20 minutes
> with the following steps:
> Manicure-sanitize, remove polish, file, soak, cuticle remover, cuticle
> work/nip, massage, buff, base, polish, top, quick dry, solar oil.
> Pedicure-All the normal steps that most people do in 45 min done in 20
> mins.
>
> We do get 10 mins extra for a french. We can't seem to get the time
> down. Would love suggestions.
>
> Also we offer acrylic and we use creative. None of us are that
> experienced in acrylic so we are all slow. One of the girls told them
> about backscratchers extreme and they want to know more about it. The girls told the owners it would be faster so they are interested in it. I would love to know the pros and cons of this product as I really know
> nothing about it. I would rather stick with creative and learning
> acrylic that way.
>
> Nobody is doing p/w they are doing one color and painting the p/w on the
> acrylic with polish which I am not crazy about but I also can't do a
> very good set of p/w powder very good so I might have to go that route.
>
> Anyway would love advice and thoughts on this. Also, Sam thanks for all of the tutorials they have helped me a great deal!
> Thanks to all
>
>
>
> ====================================

Wow Carly, this does not sound good. I am a new nail tech and my confidence and speed would never mesure up. I am just getting customers and I find that the ones who do come back do so because they like me to take my time and show them a little attention. This world is speeding by so fast it is hard to get people to slow down and enjoy it. I had a lady today that in the 1.5 hr. it took me to do Acrylice toe nails, she made at leaste 5 phone calls, got at least 4 and did not relax until I was almost done. This lady is the owner of our shop, and she can not even slow down long enought to get her feet done. I hope she is with us for a long time, but at the pace she keeps I worry. Money is importaint, but it means nothing if you are not here to enjoy it or your family. I hope you are not offended by what I am about to say, never the less, I hope you find somewhere else to work, somewhere were you are appreciated and you can apreciate the wonderful proffesion you have chosen.

a new client of mine received a gift voucher at christmas for nails inc and decided to get a manicure there ...she expected it to be a pleasant relaxing experience ..instead she got 15 minutes of a stressed nail technician telling her how busy she was .she felt rushed and was even told to get off her stool before her polish had dried !!!because another client had come in..and to top it all the polish had chipped by later that day !!!! she came to me this week and i gave her a full manicure (45min ).the client left feeling relaxed and with perfectly manicured nails .she made a new appointment for two weeks time ..this says it all for me
debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back