Advice: living above a nail bar and nail bar smells

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ask them to leave the door open, the vapors of liquid are heavier than air and it should help the smell go str8 out the door

I know how you’re feeling as I am in the same position. We have a beauty salon under us and the smells can be very strong, we have a little girl aged 4 and she chokes on the smell. We have had windows open through the winter so we can breathe making our flat very cold. The have vents but they do nothing. They also use a huge air con system that makes so much noise.

The Salon its self have no care for what we have said and refuse to turn off the air con system

Environmental health turned up and got them to seal part of the ceiling but this has not worked and now EH seem as if they are not interested.

I do not know what to do now and life the other guy on here im starting to get very angry over it all.

Mark:mad:

Bromley environmental health dept are usually pretty good. I deal with them for my salons.If the salon below you is licenced, they should be impelled to work in a safe way.
I don't have acrylic nails in my salons primarily because the smell is awful. So I can understand your frustration.
Is this a new problem? if so maybe the salon owner could look at odourless acrylics.
If this is longstanding, well only environmental health and your GP can help.

I know how you’re feeling as I am in the same position. We have a beauty salon under us and the smells can be very strong, we have a little girl aged 4 and she chokes on the smell. We have had windows open through the winter so we can breathe making our flat very cold. The have vents but they do nothing. They also use a huge air con system that makes so much noise.

The Salon its self have no care for what we have said and refuse to turn off the air con system

Environmental health turned up and got them to seal part of the ceiling but this has not worked and now EH seem as if they are not interested.

I do not know what to do now and life the other guy on here im starting to get very angry over it all.

Mark:mad:
Hi i am having they same problem, the smell is unbearable, i just don't know what to do, i also have a young child, i have lived in the same place for 6 years , i have been so ill the last couple of weeks due to odour, i myself am worried that they will put in noisey air con, as you can hear anything. did you get problem sorted? don't know what to do feeling really depressed. HELP!!!

Jemma, you could try your local councillor or MP. A letter from them to the relevant people often brings excellent results.

We did not offer acrylics in our place due to the smell as I personally hated it so I banned nail enhancements. I don't think you can suggest a business to change their system to an odourless one though just because residents in the flat upstairs are complaining. If the smell is not harmful then they really don't have to do anything do they, which is unfortunate for the flat owners.

Living above a business, you have to accept either late night hustle and bustle if it has late opening hours and any smells associated with food and beauty unfortunately.

You have everyone's empathy however, realistically I cannot see how you can change the situation.

Just a thought.
I live in a 100+ year old house & find a lot of the smells when cooking etc. go up thought the chimneys into all the bedrooms.
As long as the chimneys are not in use :eek: maybe try blocking them up to reduce smells.

Last edited:
All you can do really is get on to environmental health, as previously said a "normal" nail salon using usual chemicals for nail services wouldn't cause sore throats and illness as you describe, the only time i have ever felt ill in all my career is when i visited a Asian discount salon (not being non pc just painting the picture) the smell it atrocious and ended up being sick.

If it is causing you and other residents that much of a problem then they will have to do something, make as much noise with environmental health as poss and get something sone threaten will going to the papers etc, thats how i had to deal with an indian takeaway below my flat which also had my nail bar underneath it (also in a 100 plus year old building with no smell at all ) I really do hope you get it sorted out.

I think if i was me I would talk to everyone in the building and see whos smelling it. I would get everyone who is smelling it to sign a petition and give it to the landlord. You can let him know that these are all the people who arent smelling it, and if things arent changed to an odourless environment these are all the tenants that he would possibly be losing. If everyone said they were going to move if things werent changed, im sure he would realise the amount of money he would lose if 10 tenatns moved out at the same month. Also, it would be very difficult to get new people to rent from him if they came in and smelled the odours.

I think maybe since he is the landlord and has tenants AND a business renting from him, perhaps the health board would be more inclined to listen.

Its just a suggestion. I cant say it will work but in your situation i would definatly say its worth a shot.

Hi im just adding to this thread... if anyone could give me some help with a purchase im looking to make.

Its an apartment above a Nail Salon.. the current tenants say they do smell the salons fumes but its not overpowering (however has meant the property has not sold as timely as it should have).

Im looking to buy and rent out - i wanted to ask if you ever found a solution to living above the salon ..i.e. installing a air cleaner in the apartment or if plugging gaps under doors etc helped.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as i would really like to buy this apartment but if the hassel is too great and moreover safety of living above one isnt, ill decide against the purchase.

just for info i dont work in the saloon industry have purely googled the topic to find out if similar situations existed... so thanks for having in this forum.

cheers

You are quite right, no one shou have to live with offensive (and avoidable) smells. As has been said, the vapours are not harmful but the quality of the air is definitely an issue here.

The local EHD is really the only way to go and I know they are slow at reacting. Many EHD's avoid this issue, especially with nail salons, usually because they don't understand the problem.

There are many guidelines on correct working practices that should prevent these vapours in the salon and therefore your gf's flat that means the expense of industrial ventilation will not be necessary (and may not be possible if the building is so old).

The salon owners do not appear to be very helpful but there is loads of information on here plus it's worth looking at Doug Schoon's website, the Nail Manufacturers Council (both from the US but still relevant here) and the Industry Authority (Welcome to Habia) has a Code of Practice that will be useful.

At the end of the day the EHD is the only organisation that can enforce measures that need to be taken. Unfortunately, this will take a great deal of effort on your part but will be worth it in the end (I hope!)

Latest posts

Back