Advice needed about poor workmanship!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyxperts

Reaction score
Hi Geeks [emoji4]

Sorry this is long winded so bear with me!

I'm currently undergoing a salon expansion & refurbishment, so at the start of January I got a decorator to give me a quote to strip wallpaper from 2 rooms, then emulsion, 2 feature walls of paper and gloss the woodwork & doors (two rooms/shower room/kitchen/hallway & landing and the ground floor of the salon inc WC, hallway & feature wall papering). Was happy with the price quoted (in fact I thought Wow that's really good!), now I know why!!

He's stripped the wallpaper then called me saying the walls were so bad full of holes & cracks that they either needed plastering or lining paper - (went with lining paper), the day after I got a call to say "there's a problem" the lining paper, the walls have a "damp problem" all the wall paper was hanging off the walls & full of bubbles - I said no they do not (I'd had a surveyor in previous no damp problem at all!), so he left it then and started work downstairs (I had builders in upstairs at same time), then he took a week off.

Now I went into the salon to check the work he'd started and was shocked by the state of it all! He'd hung the lining paper the wrong way, it was too thick and literally hanging off the walls all over! And this is ALL he had done on the first floor, nothing else apart from strip the 2 rooms of paper.
Then I went downstairs to discover he's filled holes in the wall so badly my 11 year old could have done a better job - they can be seen through the paint he's touched up all raised and not filled smooth. The doors that were varnished haven't been sanded down he's just painted over them and all the paint is peeling off, chips out of it and so patchy they look horrid, the WC is as bad he's even left holes in the walls. He didn't even cover furniture and has paint splatters on it (after he said he would).

He wanted come last week to start upstairs again, I told him he wouldn't be able to as ceilings were being pulled down etc and builders hadn't finished then it would need cleaning before he could start work again, he told me he wouldn't be able to do it for 4 weeks then as he had other work on (after telling me he had nothing on) - so tbh I just thought well a godsend I'll tell him not to bother coming back.

So I've had to go in myself strip the lining paper off myself (in fact it was hanging off that much it pulled off!) - to discover there was nothing wrong with the walls and they could be painted!!

I've since heard two other people complain about this "decorators" work - wish I'd heard sooner!

Well I've had an invoice from him wanting over 60% of the total cost for what he quoted me when he's not even completed 15% of the work!
Clients that have seen it have said it's shocking, even the builders were shocked at the state of it. I'm so upset it's put me back on the salon re launch.
I'm quiet prepared to pay him for stripping the walls (even though I've had to strip them again!) and the paper he has put up downstairs on a wall. I'm not sure what to even say to this man. I've taken photographs of it & have witnesses to what he'd done.
Am I in the right to tell him I'm not prepared to pay this invoice as he hasn't completed the work he's trying to invoice for? This is really stressing me out! [emoji17]

Put in writing the amount that you are prepared to pay of the bill. State that you will not be paying the amount invoiced due to his work falling far short of the standard expected of a competent professional decorator.

List the problems and the estimated cost to rectify the work.

Put in writing the amount that you are prepared to pay of the bill. State that you will not be paying the amount invoiced due to his work falling far short of the standard expected of a competent professional decorator.

List the problems and the estimated cost to rectify the work.

Thanks AcidPerm I'll do this tomorrow X

Do you have some photos too? Not essential but always helpful.

Do you have some photos too? Not essential but always helpful.

Yes I took photos of it all. He even snapped my door handle off and didn't even knowledge it, I'm beginning to think he is not a qualified painter & decorator, his "business" isn't even listed, no address for it either. Hmm.

Obviously lesson learnt, but definitely get at least two quotes in future and look for testimonials from previous customers.

We've got the builders in at home and we were able to view examples of their work before engaging them. I recently had a delivery of heating oil and the guy who owns the small local oil delivery company was telling me that my builder built his house.

It just offers you extra peace of mind.

I got the decorators email address, I've sent my email & photos off to him so I will await his response. [emoji53]

Obviously lesson learnt, but definitely get at least two quotes in future and look for testimonials from previous customers.

We've got the builders in at home and we were able to view examples of their work before engaging them. I recently had a delivery of heating oil and the guy who owns the small local oil delivery company was telling me that my builder built his house.

It just offers you extra peace of mind.

Yes I've definitely learnt my lesson on this one! I won't be rushing in the future & agree to seeing their other work before hand X

Just an update - I sent my email including the photos and made each point with regards his workmanship. He didn't reply to my email but sent me a text! Basically he said he was sorry I wasn't happy with any aspect of the work he had done - no acknowledgement that he'd done a shocking job but he will retract his original invoice and just charge for materials used.
I'm happy with this outcome but will not ever recommend that man to anyone! I've learnt my lesson to throughly check out any trades mans prior work.
Thanks for your advice [emoji4]

Good outcome.

I wonder if he's even fully qualified and insured?

Good outcome.

I wonder if he's even fully qualified and insured?

Well I searched for his "business" on google and nothing came up, he didn't even have an address on his invoice which looked like he'd just printed it on his PC. Leads me to believe he's not a qualified or insured decorator, doubt he pays tax either. X

Out of interest, where did you get his name from to start with? X

My mother in law lol - think she had it in for me! X

I think the fact that he straight away said he would just charge for materials and amend the invoice means that he knows he did a bad job!

As someone who's literally sold her sole to the devil to get our salon rebuilt, I know where your coming from. References mean a lot.
Word of mouth too.
Starting straight away = warning
Cheap = warning. £110 a day is the minimum a trade will charge, upto £200+ pd.

If you are not happy with his work, write down all the faults, give it to him, give him a chance to rectify the faults. If you don't want him back, say so and say and say why you are refusing to pay him.

Take photos of the bad work in case it goes to court. Chances are he won't bother.

I had an electrician in stall new cables including fire alarm, I sacked him because he didn't turn up half the time, new man tells me he's don't it nearly all wrong, costs me £3000 and 4 months in time.

Latest posts

Back