Advice needed - client with thin nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eob

Reaction score
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I am a gel tech and have a new client coming tomorrow. She telephoned me yesterday and said that she used to have really nice nails but had had a series of operations which had left ridges in her nails. She went to another salon and they subsequently filed the ridges out leaving her nails very thin.

She would like to have extensions put on. I explained to her that if her nails were too thin that it wouldnt be possible as it could make her natural nails worse. However, i said that I will have to look at the nails before I perform any extensions. I also asked her if her nails felt sore or were very red and she said no.

My question is if her nails are very thin should I put extensions on? I dont think I should if they are really thin but what would you guys do? Any info much appreciated. Havent had this problem before so this is the reason I'm asking! :biggrin:

Thanks
Em

Never tried this myself just an idea why not put a really really thin layer of gel on the nail (natural nail overlay) and then apply the extension, I'm not sure if this would even last but it is an idea?

Thanks Lindag

The only problem then would be blending in the tip. If my sculpting was better I would sculpt.!!

Cheers
Em :lol:

lindag said:
Never tried this myself just an idea why not put a really really thin layer of gel on the nail (natural nail overlay) and then apply the extension, I'm not sure if this would even last but it is an idea?

Hi

A word of caution on thin nail plates the client will feel the heat sensation a lot more. I would apply a thin layer of gel first as was suggested and then wipe and take off the shine, then extend as normal. You will need to do your gel in very thin layers though and keep them quite short just to be on the safe side.

Thats great - Thank you ! :) I will try that as suggested. I will let you know how it goes. Just out of interest, is filing the ridges out (as was done at the salon she went to) normal procedure for dealing with ridges?? Sorry to sound so dumb just havent come across this problem before

Thanks again
Emma

eob said:
Thats great - Thank you ! :) I will try that as suggested. I will let you know how it goes. Just out of interest, is filing the ridges out (as was done at the salon she went to) normal procedure for dealing with ridges?? Sorry to sound so dumb just havent come across this problem before

Thanks again
Emma

Hi emma

well i wouldnt reccomend it to the extent that appears to have been done you can buff lightly but only LIGHTLY or you will damage the nail. They would have been better to a light buff and shine and using ridge filler. They may grow out nicely when the medication is out of her system in about six months or so.. :rolleyes: some salons!!!

eob said:
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I am a gel tech and have a new client coming tomorrow. She telephoned me yesterday and said that she used to have really nice nails but had had a series of operations which had left ridges in her nails. She went to another salon and they subsequently filed the ridges out leaving her nails very thin.

She would like to have extensions put on. I explained to her that if her nails were too thin that it wouldnt be possible as it could make her natural nails worse. However, i said that I will have to look at the nails before I perform any extensions. I also asked her if her nails felt sore or were very red and she said no.

My question is if her nails are very thin should I put extensions on? I dont think I should if they are really thin but what would you guys do? Any info much appreciated. Havent had this problem before so this is the reason I'm asking! :biggrin:

Thanks
Em

hi

If you use tips, file out the well area and then apply the tip, this will give you a lovely smile line and also there will no buffing on the natural nail, so, even if your client has a thin nail you are not touching the naked nail plate. The tip is applied and then you can overlay with your chosen system

good luck

shelly :lol:

If you're putting a layer of gel on very thin nails - watch that heat spike! Crawl her fingers towards the light or flash them in and out, it's what I do with one particular client and I don't have to peel her off the ceiling afterwards! :lol:

Jackie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back