Advice needed for a toe shaped thumb..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilly T

Reaction score
Hi all....

My nephew is getting married next summer and his beautiful fiancee would like me to look at doing a set of nails for her, not really wedding nails but because she has a problem with one of her thumbs.

She explained that she's never been able to have them done because they can't find tips big enough for one of her thumb nails. The end of her thumb isn't as long as the other and is very square at the tip. It really does look a little like a big toe. And her nail bed is quite wide and only very very short.

My initial thought was to customise a form and sculpt but her nail plate is very flat. Also she won't be able to have a very long free edge as her nail bed is only very short and I don't want her to bang it and lift her nail plate off.

Has anyone had any experience of this and can they offer any advice on how to go about it and what will look best. I was thinking of a quite short one or two colour glitter fade (pale colour) or do them natural using an all over cb colour so she can paint them.

Help on this will be much appreciated as I'd love her to be able to wear something for her wedding....

Last edited:
Hi Gilly, I've had a fairly similar problem with my mum's thumbs. One of them, in particular, is absolutely mahoosive!! :irked: I don't know if it helps, but I found some mega sized tips in Capital <think they're Star tips, but can check for you>. They take an age to blend, but at least they do the trick if you don't fancy sculpting.

Now that she's been wearing enhancements for ages, her nails are all her own, but maybe this would help in the short term? A glitter fade could be lovely for a wedding. Just depends on how much attention she'd want drawn to that particular nail. Hths a little!! :hug: x

opi do some size 00 tips theyre also good for flat nails i can send you some if you like as theyre just spares sittin around in the draw and i cant see me using them

My friend that was my model for all my courses has 1 thumb like this, I fitted a form and used a CB powder to elongate the almost non existent pink and then used a small bit of soft white free edge. I did all the nails the same way resulting in a fab, natural looking set! However, on this particular occasion some of the lower arch was filed away, if it had've been left the nail wouldve looked too wide.
xxx:hug:

My friend that was my model for all my courses has 1 thumb like this, I fitted a form and used a CB powder to elongate the almost non existent pink and then used a small bit of soft white free edge. I did all the nails the same way resulting in a fab, natural looking set! However, on this particular occasion some of the lower arch was filed away, if it had've been left the nail wouldve looked too wide.
xxx:hug:

Thanks Hayls.... she's not really a french kind of person tbh but I think we'll have a play around and try a few different things so no harm in giving the cb french a go. I'm wondering if tips would be better as her nail is completely flat (what she has of a nail) and a tip may give a better result.

I am quite worried about how to make it look more natural though. Her other nail beds are reasonably long so I would like her thumb to match reasonably well but concerned about the length of free edge she is going to have to achieve this.

Going to see her on Sunday so keep the advice coming if you have any.

Thanks joolz and deena for your input.. may just try sculpting on Sunday to see what results we get :hug:

I have seen threads in the past where people have successfully used two tips, side by side, for very wide thumb nails (and for toe's i think). They obviously need a measure of customising, but this is certainly something you could try.

Thanks Zingara... the first one is the exact thing. More common that I thought by the sounds of it. I'm not to worried about being able to sculpt it or even tip the middle and sculpt the sides if necessary... I am more worries about trying to make the nail look more natural in terms of not drawing undue attention to it.

Great... thanks :)

I had on of these before.

I sculpt the nail with l&p and pinched the nail while it was in its moulding stage to create a C curve. It looked exactly the same as the others. Wish I had a picture((

I also saw once back home, tech sculpted the elongated bed, filed it to required shape, attached white tip and then applied overlay. I never tried this before, I think someone already mentioned it earlier.

Hope this helps.:hug:

Thanks for the advice geeks... going to try a few different things and see how we go on. :)

Latest posts

Back