Advice needed for Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Reaction score
Hi, this is probably a silly question but ive never done gel before only acrylic. yesterday i received a dvd through the post from nsi all about the 'balance gel', this looks sooooo easy!! much easier than im finding acrylic im sure!!

I wondered if you could answer a Q, on the dvd they are only doing one finger at a time but showing different applications i.e, sculpt, french etc. each time they do the nail from start to finish including prep, and put base coat, cure, builder gel, cure, etc.......... would you normally do one finger at a time or do you do the whole hand? if you do the whole hand do you have to semi cure each one as you go to stop the product running?

has any one else used this before i go wasting more money? (the acrylic looks a doddle in their video too! lol)

All help greatfully appreciated

I don't think there is any set rule. Some gels have a runnier consistency than others and therefore it can b easier to freeze cure each nail after application for a few seconds( say 20 secs each finger) then do a full cure on all four nails on each hand. Some gels are much thicker and allow you to do all four fingers at one time and cure all together because the gel wont move from were you placed it. I was told to always cure thumbs together to allow them to be facing the uv light correctly and get a full even cure.
Hope this helps you.

Thanks Alex, anyone else?

to start off u defo wud do one finger at a time, but so not waisting time, whilst nail is curing, u do a nail on other hand. But u wud do prep to all 10 at the same time.

when i was training my tutor sugggested always doing one finger at a time when doin french.

But as ure confidence grows u'll be quicker and can do more at same time. It also depends on viscosity of the gel, builder gel is like 10xthicker than normal gel, so runs slower (each make will differ). Nat over lays can b cured 4 fingers at atime. I tend to do, 4 fingers (whilst curing apply to other hand) cure second hand, than both thumbs. But each to their own!

if u decide 2 go 4 gel, u won't regreat it, more, and more people want it!

It might be an idea to have a bit of tuition, then u can pick up handy tips that the manufac' don't tell u!

did the dvd have any leaflets with it with suggestions for application (such as semi curing) i don't no nsi, i use ibd, so don't no if u have to semi-cure it.

Sumtimes if u go on to manufac' website, they do have application details/instructions and tips.

Hope i've helped, and not confussed u more!!!!!:o

Let us no how it goes, and post sum pics of finished result if u give it a go!

Have fun, and good luck!:biggrin:

when im usin gel, i usualky do four fingers at a time, then while they are under the lamp i do the other hand, it saves time. but i have been usin gel for a while, when i first started out i did one finger at a time, and the better i got and more confident i got, i did more nails, it saves a lot of time.

Thanks, thats helped a lot. they did semi cure on dvd for say 20 seconds before applying next layer, but i wasnt sure if you would save time by doing all fingers together? it was different on dvd cos they are only doing one finger, not the whole hand.
That was the other thing i was wondering, do people still ask for acrylic if you do gel? only done acrylic and fibreglass up to now, if they dont i might knock the acrylic on the head and concentrate on gel, or do you think i should be equally as good at both systems?

each system has its benefits, such as L&P is the best option for tip n overlay on a nail bitter, or sum 1 heavy handed (that be me!)

sum people can mildly be irritated by gel (again that be me-such shame i love havin it on my nails).

best to have the option's still there for the client, sum people like to swap around, sounds strange i no, but sum people can have particular system 4 years then suddenly can't have it any more, thats what i was like with gel!
Defo keep options open!

I hadn't thought of that! thanks for the advice, I will post some pics of my efforts in due course :)

Latest posts

Back