Advice needed from salon owners please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobileKat

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just after a bit of advice really.

I am due to finish my *VRQ Level 3 in Ladies Hairdressing Services & *VRQ Level 3 in Gents Barbering Services in July this year.

Eventually I would like to go into teaching Hairdressing and Barbering.

My issue is this, I need 5 years salon experience before I can gain my teaching qualification.

In my area (St Helens, Merseyside) its difficult to find work within a salon if you are only qualified to Level 2.

I have taken advice from my college tutor who has advised me to take my CV into salons and offer to work for free to start gaining my salon experience.

I am quite happy to work for free, however, I can only work 1 day per week (possibly 2 days when I have finished my gents qualification, as I can probably finish within a month or so) due to work and college commitments, also I can only do the salon work term time as I have 2 small children and I would not be able to afford my childcare costs out of term time.

My question is this, would you take me on under these circustances or am I asking for far too much?

Also, would you be happy if I called into your salon unannounced with my CV or would you rather have the CV delivered through the post so that you can have a look at it when you have the time?

Thank you in advance xxxx

Hi Guys,

Just after a bit of advice really.

I am due to finish my *VRQ Level 3 in Ladies Hairdressing Services & *VRQ Level 3 in Gents Barbering Services in July this year.

Eventually I would like to go into teaching Hairdressing and Barbering.

My issue is this, I need 5 years salon experience before I can gain my teaching qualification.

In my area (St Helens, Merseyside) its difficult to find work within a salon if you are only qualified to Level 2.

I have taken advice from my college tutor who has advised me to take my CV into salons and offer to work for free to start gaining my salon experience.

I am quite happy to work for free, however, I can only work 1 day per week (possibly 2 days when I have finished my gents qualification, as I can probably finish within a month or so) due to work and college commitments, also I can only do the salon work term time as I have 2 small children and I would not be able to afford my childcare costs out of term time.

My question is this, would you take me on under these circustances or am I asking for far too much?

Also, would you be happy if I called into your salon unannounced with my CV or would you rather have the CV delivered through the post so that you can have a look at it when you have the time?

Thank you in advance xxxx

Im looking into opening up in a year or so, I'd say pop in with the cv so they get an idea on your confidence etc... It would also make me feel you had a lot of drive to get a position as anyone can post letters to salons accross the area in all of 3 seconds.

Id say, with you offering your time free I can't see a problem (my end anyway), but remember that in 1 day a week it will take time for trust to build. Could you possibly ask family to take the children 1 day a week in holiday Time or see if the college can find out if there's any subsidised child care you can use for the summer as its to further your education?

The only thing that would put me off is getting used to help, then when it's needed through te summer your not there.

But defo take the cv in by person xoxo

Thank you for your advice, I'll take it all on board.

xxx

id be honest with you, i wouldnt want to hire you or have you as voluntry staff if you JUST came in with a cv. I would overlook you, if all i got was a cv. If your even looking for self empolyed basis, then id think about it- but i would need to suss you out so i know you'd fit in.

Pinpoint local salons, actually go in, take a portfolio, build one up so the owners can see your work, rather than a cv, bring your personality, drive, passion and abilities in sense what you can bring to the table.

I dont think you're expecting too much, you're expecting too little! Have some faith in yourself! Rent a chair, or go self empolyed, to get that experience especially if you want in on your terms, most salons are willing for some leeway. i think you must be optimistic enough to know you can be earning more & to help raise your children.

Good luck whatever you choose to do, sorry if it comes across a bit harsh. xoxo

Thanks Wonderwoman,

TBH I dont feel I have the confidence to go rent a chair or self employed, feel like I want to find my salon feet 1st, if you know what I mean.

I will start to build a portfolio, hadnt thought of that, I am normally outgoing and chatty but still find the thought of selling myself in a salon a bit daunting.

Do you think I neednt bother with a CV? Just take my portfolio?
I thought that if I do a CV, it will cover everything just in case I get in a flap and forget to mention something.

xxx

Do both, would look better, possibly use digital photos or get a few prints, maybe incorporate your cv in with your portfolio too. And leave it with the salon . Xoxo

Greetings fellow st.helens'er =D

Not a salon owner, but just wishing you good luck with finding something. It's not the easiest town to find work/voluntary work in!! x

Thanks Wonderwoman,

TBH I dont feel I have the confidence to go rent a chair or self employed, feel like I want to find my salon feet 1st, if you know what I mean.

I will start to build a portfolio, hadnt thought of that, I am normally outgoing and chatty but still find the thought of selling myself in a salon a bit daunting.

Do you think I neednt bother with a CV? Just take my portfolio?
I thought that if I do a CV, it will cover everything just in case I get in a flap and forget to mention something.

xxx
I love the fact you have a plan, but make sure your not doing free work for nothing, make a goal that you only do it for 6months tops, then get your confidence up! I mean it!!!!:irked:

I think address your portfolio as your cv, actually incorporate it in your pages, have back up copys to give out when you ask to see manager. Always ask for 2 minutes of their time, mention your qualified, and if they didnt mind looking at your portfolio with highlights and showcased the work you are capable of doing. Mention brand names and additional training skills that you have learnt, ie wella, first aid, health and safetly and you know how to strand test etc. Anything menial ie you when to a demo at salon international etc, in a jist say your familar but may need to brush up on things. Basically its a semi interview on what you know! Good luck missy and dont sell yourslef too short xoxo

I think any employer would take you on if it's free work!

The best thing to do is trained on ur friends and family, even if u want to work for free or self employed, the employers don't take the risk to have a salon of bad reputation , remember 1 client take 10 with her! Good luck !!

Im a salon owner in st helens, if you finshed level 3 im looking for a self employed hairdresser to rent a chair in my salon its sitiuated in thatto heath and you would need clientle at least some but there is clients for u to up for the right person

i would definitely do a portfolio you need to show you will be an asset even if you are doing it for free , why not do some friends or mobile clients etc.. the only way you gain confidence is by doing clients ,
i left hair for a fair few years and had to start right back at the beginning in a foreign county so i know how you feel but even if you are just doing models it will helps you get experience and gain confidence , plus you will have more pics for you portfolio

Latest posts

Back