Advice needed from techs who offer both Shellac AND Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa.sharrock

Reaction score
I have all Shellac colours except Strawberry Smoothie and Tropix but due to limited range of Shellac colours want to buy approx 6 bottles of Gelish and need your help pls.

What colour Gelish would you buy to complement your range of Shellac colours??

I was thinking Midnight Caller, Reserve, Elegant Wish, Vegas Nights, Waterfield, Bellas Vampire, Caution, Wicked, Deep Sea, Night Reflection. I know I've chosen more than 6 here but don't want to end up with similar Shellac colours.

I would be extremely grateful if you guys could help me choose some popular colours, maybe more metallic/glittery ones especially as it's xmas party season soon.

:)

Hiya
I use both and the main one I would advise is Vegas nights as it can be applied over any colour! If you go on the nail harmony UK Facebook page you can see loads of pics of all the colours. At the moment night reflection is on special offer as colour of the week aka COW lol

Tiger blossom. Tropix
Fedora. Elegant wish ?
Tutti frutti. Passion or gossip girl
Red roses is a beautiful red
bellas vampire is a beautiful deep purple
Black shadow is a must especially with Vegas nights over the top
Have you been on the gelish group on here? There's loads if pics x

I'd say with christmas approaching black and silver are an absolute must, and the night reflection (deep purple) is lovely (my personal favourite), I'd also recommend getting a couple of the glitters such as waterfield and vegas nights, good gossip is also a beautiful red with a glitter through it, also going to be very popular for Christmas I'd say. I also have both Shellac and Gelish and if I had to choose just 6 these would be it, hth x

Fedora. Elegant wish ?

I'd say Bella's Vampire is more like Fedora, Elegant wish is more of a burgandy I think.

Aww thanks guys,

Soooooo

Which one is the black one? Is it Midnight Caller or Black Reflection or Black Shadow, I can't tell on the colour wheel. Think I'm getting colours mixed up here! lol

Vegas Nights
Deep Sea
Starburst
Night Reflection
Desert Sands

Is Elegant Wish popular?

xx

I have just started to use Gelish a lot more now due to shellac's supply problems, and I have to say I love it, most of my clients prefer it! I have Rose Garden, Simpler Sheer, Caution (which I love), and midnight caller and I have noticed that on the website and in the book, you have to allow for the colours to be a bit lighter than shown in either, I'm also trying to stock colours which are different to the shellac ones I have.

Another thing in favour of Gelish for me is that Shellac would only last for about 4 days on me (I take Thyroid meds) and the same on another of my client's with the same issue, Gelish stays put...hurray!

Hi Polished, yep I don't want to double up on Shellac colours, hence my question. Shellac have lots of lovely pinks, red's and wine colours so I was looking at something completely differnt to that. Unfortunately I'm just starting out and funds are pretty limited so realistically only looking at between 4 - 6 so wanted to make sure I made the right choices. Caution looks a lovely colour too but it is difficult to tell the colours online and as you and others have said apparantely the colour charts in the brochure and online aren't too accurate.

I know it's personal choice but I was hoping I'd have had more replies from techs who had experience with both systems but hey ho...

Thanks for the help. xx

Elegant Wish
Bella's Vampire
Black Shadow
Deep Sea
Vegas Nights

These are my hugely popular ones along with French etc

To be honest I have over 30 Gelish colours and my clients love them

hth's

I use both and only have 9 Gelish at the moment.

Black Shadow is an absolute must. So many askin for black.
Night Reflection is a gorgeous purple with a slight shimmer.
Bella's Vampire is a lovely deep, deep purple. Maybe too similar to Fedora but I love it.
Good Gossip - sparkly red. Can't wait to get my hands on this.
Stand Out is a lovely red but you have a few red options with Shellac.
Sweet Chocolate is a lovely brown with a shimmer. Very autumnal. Quite a bit darker than Iced Cappucino.

i bought 3 gelish to complement the 12 Shellac and to try/compare. I bought black shadow which is black obviously, elegant wish which is purpley and deep sea which is navy.

They are lovely colours and very shiny but i dont think ill buy anymore as i already do Bio and it was very similar to Bio for me (apart from being in a bottle rather than apot). I see Gelish as a soak off gel and not the same as Shellac but clients may not mind/care and just want the colours you can offer. So I dont see a problem using both side by side :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

Yep, definitely Black, navy and a deep purple alongside vegas nights for glitter, a lot of people seem to rate Waterfield? I take it Vegas Nights is just a clear translucent glitter and waterfield a silver glitter?

The problem is there is too much choice! hahaha

ps. Sorry for all the questions! xx

Do have a good look through the Gelish group on here - I for one asked the same question when I was getting Gelish to go alongside Shellac.

I have all the Shellac colours plus the following from Gelish:

Black Shadow - glossy black (no shimmer)
Caution - deep metallic blue
Midnight caller - metallic silver grey
Bella's Vampire - deep dark purple (no shimmer)
Elegant Wish - deep browny burgandy with shimmer (so not like Fedora)
Tiger Blossom - deeper more reddy-coral than Tropix imo. Different enough that I don't regret choosing it lol.
Reserve - similar vein to Iced Cappuchino but brownier rather than gold
Night Reflection - haven't tried this one yet but it's really popular on here and on my colour wheel it looks light a lighter version of Bella's Vampire.

I got Gelish in mainly for the range of darker colours on offer and I love it! It's all down to personal choice but I prefer Gelish as I find it more reliable and hard-wearing yet just as easy to remove as Shellac. And I, like many other geeks, don't buff the nail prior to application. x

Waterfield is a great one too however Vegas Nights is really versatile because its so fine it can go over French beautifully for a subtle twist for clients who are not really "glittery" if that makes sense but over darker colours it is very noticeable.

hth's

Fab, thanks.

Think I'm pretty much there now with my selection. :D x

I got Gelish in mainly for the range of darker colours on offer and I love it! It's all down to personal choice but I prefer Gelish as I find it more reliable and hard-wearing yet just as easy to remove as Shellac. And I, like many other geeks, don't buff the nail prior to application. x

I also don't buff the nail prior to application and I've never had to break the seal for removal. It lasts 3 weeks and removes in 10 minutes. I do the same prep for Gelish as I do Shellac.

Girls can you layer gelish colours over shellac then?

I asked one of the girls at S2 (Obviously they won't be happy with that) but she didn't seem to know if this could be done. I assume the cnd lamp works on both products if this is the case?

Lisa

Girls can you layer gelish colours over shellac then?

I asked one of the girls at S2 (Obviously they won't be happy with that) but she didn't seem to know if this could be done. I assume the cnd lamp works on both products if this is the case?

Lisa

Hi Lisa, you can use the glittery colours (Vegas Nights/Waterfield/Timberline Violet) over Shellac colours, then use your normal Shellac topcoat or the Gelish 'Top it Off' - both the Gelish base & topcoat can be used with Shellac if needed, many have been using these of late.

You can cure Gelish in the CND Shellac Lamp - or any 36 watt UV lamp with a 2 min cure on the colour coats. The LED Harmony lamp cures in as little as 10/20/30 seconds.

HTH's x

I have all Shellac colours except Strawberry Smoothie and Tropix but due to limited range of Shellac colours want to buy approx 6 bottles of Gelish and need your help pls.

What colour Gelish would you buy to complement your range of Shellac colours??

I was thinking Midnight Caller, Reserve, Elegant Wish, Vegas Nights, Waterfield, Bellas Vampire, Caution, Wicked, Deep Sea, Night Reflection. I know I've chosen more than 6 here but don't want to end up with similar Shellac colours.

I would be extremely grateful if you guys could help me choose some popular colours, maybe more metallic/glittery ones especially as it's xmas party season soon.

:)

Hi Lisa

I haven't used both systems, I cant see past Shellac!...but just wondered if you were aware you can layer your Shellac colours to make many more colours! We do this with great success in the salon.

Shellac are also realising 12 new gorgeous shades in March next year, including the BLACK that everyone has been waiting for.

If cash flow isnt the greatest just now, why not have a go at layering and see how you get on....then you can save up and buy all 12 new lovely shades in March!:)

In the tutorials section of this site, there are some fanastic shellac vidoes done by Holly, including one that covers layering.

Hope this helps and please dont hesitate to give me a shout if you need any help.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply, yep have had a go at layering. some have been successful and others not so, I'm more after colours like vivid purples, navy and black and some glitters so that you can jazz up some of the other colours. Don't get me wrong Shellac is fab, it's just a shame with the problems with production that held up the new colours this year. But I'm looking forward to the new colours being launched next March. :)

Pooh8bear - think it'll be Elegant Wish, Vegas Nights, Black Shadow, Night Reflection and if I get more clients Good Gossip, Deep Sea or Caution.

I have to stop buying all the colours that suit me!!! hahahaha, I have other people to think about now, so may have to buy some toned down shades. ;-))) :green: xx

Latest posts

Back