Advice needed on doing nails in a hair salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolla

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I am currently self employed mobile doing nails and holistics. I've been speaking to the lady who owns the hairdressers I go to and she would like to have someone there doing nails and I'd love the chance to have a base for clients who's houses I can't go to for one reason or another.

She's never had anyone in self employed before nor have I rented space before, and she's asked me to find out how we need to go about it, she's in the dark too. Hoping to do it perhaps 1 day a week or something for now to see how it goes...?

The advice I'd like is on rent/what to pay her. Should I talk to her about paying a daily flat rate, or give a percentage of what I earn from treatments?

As it will be a new venture and I've not got many clients who want to leave the house for their nails, Im guessing the % option would be better...?

Additionally if there is any other advice you can give on doing nails self employed in a hair salon, that'd be great :)

Thanks, Lolla xx

Hi Lolla,

don't know if this will help but I recently moved from mobile to a salon. They had an idea of a weekly rate that they want but we have agreed on a % split for the first 3 months to allow me to build up a client list there.

Might be worth doing it that way. I supply all the equipment and products but the hairdressers are really good at promoting me and giving out my price lists when I'm not there (I only work there 3 days).

Good luck with it.

Tracy
x

I'm doing a similar thing except i'm self employed in a salon 30 mins away. I chose to take one day out and open my own beauty room in a hair salon.

There was no option for me which i'm fine with. I wouldn't do a % split purely because thats what I do in my main job, it's very frustrating. Knowing that you're taking so much money for the salon and only getting part of it just breaks my heart.

I pay for the full week but am only doing one day for now and I can honestly say that i've covered my rent every week so far and some weeks have taken twice my rent! If you put as much effort in as possible perhaps you could do the flat rate option?

Obviously it all depends on numbers. If the % split is good in your favour then that might be best. Alternatively if the rent is cheap like mine then that may be best. Ask her what % split she has in mind and what daily rent she has in mind. Then think about how many clients you're likely to see in your first few months and you'll be anle to work out whats best for you.

Either way, make sure you get something in writing to protect both parties. Then you'll need to upgrade your insurance to cover contents and stock - mine wasn't much at all to upgrade.

Make sure your rent or % split covers all bills inc . electric and water so you can't be messed around.

There are so many new business threads on here when you're ready to go, particularly lynne baker's more ways to promote your business.

Good luck with your venture, i'm sure you'll love it - i love mine so much right now!

My situation was the exact same neither me nor the salon owner had ever done anything like this begore. We decided on a daily rent from the very beginning which at first was a difficult pill to swallow when building up a client base bur trust me you will not regret it!
That was a year ago and i started by doing all the stylists nails, we t around all the local shops, did a couple of offers and I went from having 2 appointments a week to 3 a day and it just grew arms and legs! It takes hard work and grit determination as some days I would sit there with no one in, but a year down the line I'm fully booked most days and the salon owner is delighted she gets her rent but I'm even happier I never agreed to a %, I would be gutted if I had to give away % of my earnings, sort out a daily rent and stick to it you will benefit! Trust me SSX

You may also want to tell the owner to check with her council. I know that with my council I need to pay for a special treatment license to be able to have nail services.

This is great info, thanks everyone :) Tempted to to go down the % route for 3 months then go onto daily rent...

I've already got stock and equipment cover so will just need her to find out if she needs to put me on her own insurance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'm also in similar situation I already work in a salon as a stylist just finishing my level 2 beauty and my boss wants me to do nails. The thing I'm worried about is if I do acrylics will the smell be too strong for clients having hair done, should I do gel instead ? Or is there away round this .

I'm also in similar situation I already work in a salon as a stylist just finishing my level 2 beauty and my boss wants me to do nails. The thing I'm worried about is if I do acrylics will the smell be too strong for clients having hair done, should I do gel instead ? Or is there away round this .

I did briefly think about that but I don't think it's going to be a problem for me personally as I'll be right by the door and it's a big salon. Plus there are other hair related smells going on, plus the hairdryers blowing the smells about...so don't worry. I mean if it does turn out to be an issue then there is always low-odour monomer (NSI do one).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'll be by the door too. The low odour product sounds good idea though :)

Latest posts

Back