Advice needed on unreasonable customer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovelocks

Reaction score
Hi everyone I really would like your advice on a recent customer as I’ve never come across anyone like this before.
I supplied and fitted half a head of nano ring extensions on a lady recently, it’s an extension method I have been qualified and practicing for around 6 years. I’ve used the same supplier for around 3/4 years with no issues.
I gave her all necessary aftercare advice and product recommendations.
At time of consultation as I always do I explained that no extension method was completely damage free much like colour blow drying etc can also damage hair.
She was happy with information I offered and went ahead. After fitting she was very happy even sent a text to confirm her delight in them.
Days later I received a text saying that she had used a product that I hadn’t recommended and that the extensions seemed dry also that they dried naturally curly and she didn’t expext
That.
I re offered her advice on products and explained that the hair is real and that a natural wave is normal but that the hair can be straightened etc.
I also offered a conditioning treatment free of charge if she so wished. She sent another text saying she had used some products and it seemed to improve but that she probably needed to invest in new straighteners as hers weren’t effective in straightening the hair.
She then came back to me for a root tint which again she was happy with paid and left then I received another text saying it wasn’t light enough for her and what would I recommend so I offered to re tint roots and tone at only £15 to cover product costs. I never heard back.
This week I received a message saying that she would like the extensions removed as as much of a nice novelty she found them too hard work so I booked her in for yesterday for a removal.
I removed extensions professionally and with care and as I pulled the rings away she said oh it’s pulling a little maybe because I didn’t brush my hair for a few days I said I’ll try and be a little more gentle but that it wasn’t pulling any hair.
After removing she checked her hair in mirror thanked me for removing them and said I’m just one of those people who doesn’t have time to fuss with my hair she paid me and left.
2 hours later i got a message again as usual she wasn’t happy. Claims that her hair is ruined from the extensions that half of her hair has come out that she’s been to her hairdresser of years and they can’t believe how awful her hair is now etc etc.
I assured her that I have exactly what was brushed out still on my table and that it was very little that the extensions were fitted in a professional manner and that in all my years of hairdressing I’d never had anyone complain quite as much as her. That I believe she is basically a scam artist trying to get money back when there was no issue. I asked for evidence of any bald or bare patches which she replied well my hairs just broken not bald patches.I offered her removal and fitting cost back to put an end to this matter.
I’ve since had an email from her asking for all money paid for all services including colour extensions etc and additional compensation as she’s been advised her hair will take two years to recover. The image I’ve received does not show how hair is any different to before the fitting does not show any obvious damage or any patches etc.
I think I’m being taken for a ride and I really don’t want to have to go through my insurance for all this.
Can anyone offer any advice as it’s really making me think if all of this is really worth it and wanting to give it all up completely.

There’s always that one client who has unrealistic expectations and isn’t used to being told ‘NO’!

Send a final reply saying that due to her increasingly unreasonable demands, you withdraw your previous goodwill offer and you are not prepared to enter into any more negotiations with her on the matter.
Then block her.
If she visits you, tell her you will sue her for harassment and will see her in court.

Do you give clients an aftercare leaflet?
In future, reply to texts telling them to refer to the aftercare leaflet supplied and don’t enter into any negotiations via text.
This constant texting back and forth seems to be fraught for the stylist, so just don’t do it.

Thanks for advice. By doing this will
I be setting myself up for a fail? I don’t want to aggravate the situation and make things worse. I am totally confident that I provided a professional service I have kept all hair and evidence of
What was brushed out.
She’s claiming she’s now using clip in extensions because her hair feels so thin but as we all know these cause more tension damage than professionally fitted extensions.
Also I know for a fact she’s coloured her hair whilst having extensions with box dye at home to a level 10!!!
I provide a good service and I’m a good hairdresser I’ve never had anything like this in 6 years.
Would u suggest going to citizens advice before I reply with your suggestion x

There’s always that one client who has unrealistic expectations and isn’t used to being told ‘NO’!

Send a final reply saying that due to her increasingly unreasonable demands, you withdraw your previous goodwill offer and you are not prepared to enter into any more negotiations with her on the matter.
Then block her.
If she visits you, tell her you will sue her for harassment and will see her in court.

Do you give clients an aftercare leaflet?
In future, reply to texts telling them to refer to the aftercare leaflet supplied and don’t enter into any negotiations via text.
This constant texting back and forth seems to be fraught for the stylist, so just don’t do it.
Thanks for advice. By doing this will
I be setting myself up for a fail? I don’t want to aggravate the situation and make things worse. I am totally confident that I provided a professional service I have kept all hair and evidence of
What was brushed out.
She’s claiming she’s now using clip in extensions because her hair feels so thin but as we all know these cause more tension damage than professionally fitted extensions.
Also I know for a fact she’s coloured her hair whilst having extensions with box dye at home to a level 10!!!
I provide a good service and I’m a good hairdresser I’ve never had anything like this in 6 years.
Would u suggest going to citizens advice before I reply with your suggestion x

Did you get her to sign aftercare for the Extensions?
And did you show her samples of the hair before you fitted it/went ahead with it? X

Definitely speak to someone at Citizens Advice if it will help to allay your fears. However, you’ve done nothing wrong so please stop doubting yourself. Don’t let one annoying client affect your confidence, instead, think of all your satisfied customers you’ve helped during the last few years.

Did you get her to sign aftercare for the Extensions?
And did you show her samples of the hair before you fitted it/went ahead with it? X
I text her all aftercare advice as I always do and during consultation she felt my own hair as it’s same company’s extensions was happy and excited even sent a text of her delight after fitting.

Latest posts

Back