advice needed please for waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatabeauty

Reaction score
hi to all,
could anyone please advise me. i am at college studying beauty therapy level 2 and have just finished the waxing module. my boyf bought me a waxing kit for christmas (last saturday) and of course i was so excited i had to try it out early so i waxed a few hairs on his lower back and on the back of his neck to tidy up where he's shaved his hair, it was o.k. from what i could see, slightly red and i was actually suprised it didn't come up worse, (my legs were BAD the first time i had it done) but since then, the past couple of days, he's come up in what looks like heat rash, but slightly bigger, in the areas where i have waxed. i thought this might have been a normal contra-action if this had happened shortly after the treatment, but it was 4 days later it started coming up, the area isn't red it's just the small pin prick spots and he's saying it itches slightly. i did the prep o.k and applied the after wax. i also did hair on his fingers and that hasn't come up which makes me think he's not allergic, i don't know what to do, is this normal, or should i worry, can i buy something, or is it 'cos it's his first time. so many questions any advice would be very much appreciated. thanx all

HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL xxxxxxx

Hi there

Sometimes people do come up in red spots if you like, but this normally disappears within a few hours.

My first thought was an allergic reaction, and different parts of your body are more sensitive to others. Did you make sure the hairs weren't too long and you didn't pull up with the strip? Could the wax have been too hot, did you test it on your wrist first?

You can put witch hazel on it, easily get it from a chemist, this will relieve any irritation and soothe the area, or you can buy it in small tubes as a jelly from ellisons or most beauty supplies.

I find those after wax lotions ok but not that effective.

Hope this helps.

Deb379

thanx for the advice, as i was doing it he did complain that it was too hot, because it was a new one i was experimenting with the temperatures, perhaps that was it, i will try witch hazel and perhaps something with tea tree in as the after wax had lavender and allsorts in but not tea tree, i'm sure i pulled it off ok though, thanx for the helpxxx

Hi there

That's OK, I think you will find with most wax heaters once they have warmed up on #10 initially after 20 mins or so, you can then turn down to #8 for rest of day. If it is pot and spatula it will be very runny if hot and tacky if not warm enough, plus surrounding climate will affect it eg air con. With the PhD system you can smell it if you leave it on #10 for longer than 20 minutes, so remember to turn it down after initial warm up.

Test it on your wrist first before applying.

Deb379

Hi hun this is going to sound a bit groce but this is fairly common in some men as they tend to sweat more and this can irritate the area and sometimes cause it too itch as the pores are open for sometime after waxing think about 48 hours aprox, therefore if the pores get clogged with general dirt grease etc from the skin which happens more easily once waxed or irritated by any products he may have used after 24 hours this could cause this type of reaction. The same thing happened to my boyfriends chest as he also has sensitive skin, it just reacted a little after the waxing after a couple of days but then it was ok again shortly after. As he would have followed your after care advice of not using anything on the area for 24 hours and his reaction came up a few days later I think it is not to do with an allergic reaction more of an irritation. He may have extra sensitive skin too, the best thing he can do is bathe it in cool water and keep it extra clean and use a soothing after wax lotion for a few days. Try doing a small patch test on his skin somewhere and see if he reacts again.

When i had my bikini line waxed in the past the same happened to me and i had to give up on the waxing and instead use a lady shave.... i think that its when the hair starts to grow back in thats when it starts to go red and itchy...the same actually happens when i use a razor...... strange but true and only on bikini line. okay everywhere else...

hi hun, Its totally normal so dont worry.

I use salon systems just wax after wax oil and lotion and aloe vera gel, they are feb. there is an aloe vera gel with lavender, after wax oil with tea tree and lavender, and an after wax lotion with lavender. i love them. you should get some small tubes of aloe vera gel to sell to clients. works a treat. can even prevent ingrown hairs!

xxx

Latest posts

Back