advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailmania

Reaction score
i beleive the best way to advertise is to keep my own nails nice. Today i went to the local sunbed shop and was offered a job. The fella asked me who had done my nails (how nice it was to get praised) Anyway...he and his friend have just bought the shop and know nothing about the beauty business, they are hoping to find beauticians to rent rooms & tables etc.
I am a mobile Nail Tech in the same area as this shop, BUT i am not very busy (quite newish) He said he would supply all the products and i give him 50% (i thought this was steep) i think he would be looking at £25-£30 a set of nails?
It made me quite sick coz he turned away 4 clients yesterday....OUCH
I would be grateful if aanyone could give me advise on what to do, i want to be fair but i also need to earn some kinda living!
PLEASE HELP :rolleyes:

You say he will supply all the products - what products - will you be happy to use one product in the salon and a different one on your other mobile clients. I think there are a lot of questions to ask. If you are happy with the product then it probably is a good idea as you will get about £15 for every set of nails you do or whatever half of the rebalance price is. However if you have to compromise your standards to use an inferior product then you should educate the owners and suggest you use your own products and negotiate a commission you pay to them.

Thanks Fiona, It sounds ok....I know the manicure products he is going to use is Jessica (i know they are great) So hopefully the Acrylic & Gel will be of similar standard. I'm not sure though i am happy with £15 a set.....I can get £25 (less stock used) as a mobile tech although the clients are harder to find. (am i being greedy)??
I think i need to sit down and chat with the owners of this salon, i just wanted to know of the average split of money between tech & salon owner. :D

You would need to, as you say, talk with the owners and weigh up the pros and cons:

If you are struggling to get clients in the daytime to suit you then you will be earning nothing - if you go into this salon and earn 50% of your takings then this is better than what you are currently earning.

Some techs will pay 50% of their takings and have to supply their own products.

Another suggestion would be to pay a rent and supply all your products - the down side of this is you need to pay whether you have bookings or not.

As a new tech you need to look at all your options - this sounds a good way to get into a salon working environment - once you have established yourself and the salon is established then there may be the opportunity to renegotiate terms with the owners.

It may start to become a problem if you are turning away mobile clients because you are working in the salon. You would then need to look again at your options. This happened to me - I did one day in a hair salon and I had to turn someone down at home to go to the salon and all I had booked in that day was one manicure - she did not turn up. :evil:

Hi there, I pay a percentage of my takings to salon owner. I work two full days a week and every other saturday. I decided this was the best way to go when I first started as I only had a few clients and if I didn't earn then I didn't have to pay anything.

I think commission is definitely the best way to go when you first start. Maybe when you have more clients you could negotiate a weekly rental. At the moment after 7 months in the salon I have a full book on most of the days I work. I provide all my own equipment and only pay salon owner 20%. I know this is particularly good, but I wouldn't accept any less. If you believe in yourself and know that you do a good job then negotiate with salon owner. I believe that 60% to you and 40% to salon owner is a good rate to start off with, correct me anyone if I am wrong.

It sounds like it could be good for you to work at the tanning salon, but just because he threw out the # 50% does not mean that is the bottom line. If you feel like that is not enough then you should try to negotiate what seems fair to you. I would suggest before you start working for them to make a contract and also include your plans for the future after you build up a clientele. I am sorry for sounding skeptical but maybe he said he turned away 4 clients yesterday to make it seem more appealing to you. Another idea to consider is also offering airbrush tanning for those people who either cant or dont want to use a tanning bed......just a thought. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

The salon owner really doesn't know anything about the business...he is a property developer! Anyways i have decided that i'm not going to take up the position... I shall keep doing mobile nails and get more training (sculpting etc) i also need to find a a systme that i am 100% happy with using. Some days i feel extra positive and some days i'm a little unsure about what i am capable of....you'll get use to me!
I think i was just flattered that i got a job offer :rolleyes:

Hi,

Just an idea but have you thought about maybe just doing 1 day per week in the salon? Then you would have a chance to build up your client base (you said you weren't too busy).
If you were sucessful there, maybe you could get the owner to subsidise your training? Its obviously going to be much better for his pocket if you can offer a varity of services.

Just a thought, good luck with whatever you choose,

kitty said:
Hi,Just an idea but have you thought about maybe just doing 1 day per week in the salon? Then you would have a chance to build up your client base

Had to put my 2p worth in here! If you are in a salon ONLY 1 day a week, where do the clients go if they break a nail??? They will go else where because they can't get hold of you cuz you're not there! Seen teks try 1-3 days a week and unless there are other teks at the salon, this generally does not work. Just FYI! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back