Advice needed, please !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sassy_minx24

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I would really like some advice. Please bear with me this is a bit long winded !

I'm a creative trained nail tech (I've done the foundation course & the next step course), I trained in July last year.

Just before I booked my creative training I walked out of my job as a customer service advisor in a call centre. I'd wanted to do nails for a while so I decided to go for it! As I was unemployed I needed a guaranteed income, quick ! So I got a p/t job in a hair & beauty wholesalers, just to see me through until I got myself sorted out as a nail tech.

Things haven't quite gone to plan ! I've ended up doing more and more hours at the wholesalers due to staff shortages and not many hours as a nail tech ! As a result my confidence and my time keeping as a nail tech have taken a battering. The only real practice I've had is on my mother in law and my sister in law, and when I've had a spare minute I've practised on Handrea (my nail trainer !)

Anyway, yesterday a lady who owns a salon nearby came in the wholesalers and asked if I knew of any creative nail techs looking for work. She said she needs people full time. I got the impression she was offering me a job, as she knows I've trained with creative and has said previously I could rent a space off her if I liked. She said she's been offered a job in marketing that she can't refuse and that she's not going to be around much. She also said that she may even rent the salon out with a view to buy !

I'm really really interested ! But I don't feel confident enough. I like to think I know my stuff as I regularly get my creative notes out, read nail books, magazines and visit this amazing site! It's just I've not had chance to put it all into practice !

What do I do ? I'm scared of quitting my current job incase it all goes pear shaped in this salon ! My bills won't pay themselves ! I've thought about one 2 one training with my educator, but I can't really afford it. This feels like an opportunity I can't pass up.

Has anybody got any words of wisdom that will help me decide what to do ? It's driving me mad !!!! Help !!!

Thanx Sassy x

Hi, if the salon has got existing clients then i can not see how you will not earn a decent wage, im sure after the first day your confidence will come back. It sounds like a great opportunity.
You could always arrange to meet with the salon owner and discuss maybe starting on a part time basis and fitting the clients in on that basis, just until you are sure, if she is really interested in you then im sure you can work something out together.
That way you can still do some hours in the wholesalers until they find someone else.

The thing is no matter how long you have been doing nails there is always something new to learn; you have to remember that you are the trained professional and know more than the client. So just be positive and go for it babe!!!

I have probably waffled a bit but hope this is of some help. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
All the best

(PS:if you need any help this is the best place to get it, this is my life line and whatever the problem someone will know the answer.)

top.chic said:
Hi, if the salon has got existing clients then i can not see how you will not earn a decent wage, im sure after the first day your confidence will come back. It sounds like a great opportunity.
You could always arrange to meet with the salon owner and discuss maybe starting on a part time basis and fitting the clients in on that basis, just until you are sure, if she is really interested in you then im sure you can work something out together.
That way you can still do some hours in the wholesalers until they find someone else.

The thing is no matter how long you have been doing nails there is always something new to learn; you have to remember that you are the trained professional and know more than the client. So just be positive and go for it babe!!!

I have probably waffled a bit but hope this is of some help. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
All the best

(PS:if you need any help this is the best place to get it, this is my life line and whatever the problem someone will know the answer.)
I AGREE WITH CASSANDRA ......CHECK IT OUT AND WORK THERE A BIT AND THEN DECIDE ..SOUNDS TO ME LIKE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY ....YOU WILL GET UP YOUR CONFIDENCE ..SOONER THAN YOU THINK ....CHRIS

hi there,
Tricky one hey, why don't you take a weeks holiday from the whole sellers and ask the lady of the salon if you can go in and shadow her with perhaps the view to having two days where you offer your services, no exchange of money just see how you feel about it. This way you will get to see the sort of turn over the salon makes and the type of clients that visit for treatments. If this is possible you could then decide how you feel about it all at the end of the week with no risk.

What ever you do I wish you the very best
Grace x

Hiya

youve already had some sound advice and i would say

NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED!!

I'd go for it............. you dont want to say what if??? in a couple of years when our still doing a job you dont want to do??? do you???

Hi Everyone !

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS to all the comp winners !! Well Done !

Now back to my post !

I just rang the lady at the salon !!! I was so nervous ! She said she was hopeing I'd ring. I've arranged to pop in and have a chat with her, this week.
What she said she wants to do is rent the salon out for three, maybe four days a week (mon, tues, weds & sat) for the time being. She said mon - weds are pretty slow at the minute, but I think that's probably a good thing for now, as I'm a bit rusty! It'll give me a chance to practice without pressure!

I've not discussed rent with her just yet. Doe anybody know what I'd be looking at paying ? I'd be grateful if anyone could give me an idea, as I haven't a clue !

I'm quite excited now !! Not getting too excited incase the rent is too much !!

Thanks for all your comments, I'd probably have wimped out if it wasn't for you lot !!

Thanks again Sassy x

I would go for it!

go for it, it sounds like a totally fantastic opportunity, im sure youll do just fine !

Rachel

[go For It!!!
You Know You Can Do It, Call Me At The Creative Nail Academy Tomorrow.
Love Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back