Advice Needed - Terminally Ill Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caroleloftus

Reaction score
I really need some advice. A friend of my dad's has asked me if I can do either a manicure or gel extensions for his wife. The issue is that his wife is terminally ill. She has cancer which has spread all over her body and she is very ill.

She is coming out of hospital tomorrow and it is her birthday on Thursday. He has asked me to go over on Thursday evening to pamper her.

However, before I do this, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what I can and can't do in this situation.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks xxx

I really dont like to give advice on this as i really dont know but if you do a search on "cancer" you'll see a thread started by Debs which is called contra-indications and a response by NailsinLondon - it might be something to think about but i'm sure some of the big boys/girls will reply to you and be able to help you out. Sorry i couldnt be of real help!

Difficult one, because if you were in her shoes and you knew you were dying, there may be things you'd want to do, however,

I'm sure her husband's intentions mean well, but if she is so ill I can't believe she would want to sit still for too long, and if there are any awful smells from products this might make her feel even more ill. She's probably putting on a brave face in front of her husband. Avoid the extensions unless she really insists but then I would get the OK from her Dr first (see last para).

If I were you I'd do a nice manicure. If she knows how ill she is and is not afraid to talk to you about it, remember to check and make sure she is feeling OK. Try and treat her normally by not feeling awkward yourself, she may want someone to talk to. People with cancer have good and bad days, she may not feel too good the day you are due, so ring first.

If you put extensions on then she will need them maintaining, and if she is terminally ill she is only going to get worse and would not be up to the maintenance later. She may also be having treatment, if you go into hospital for an operation they always need your nails to be free from polish etc, this is so they can check your circulation.

I think a manicure would be OK, if this is what she wants.

Deb379

caroleloftus said:
I really need some advice. A friend of my dad's has asked me if I can do either a manicure or gel extensions for his wife. The issue is that his wife is terminally ill. She has cancer which has spread all over her body and she is very ill.

She is coming out of hospital tomorrow and it is her birthday on Thursday. He has asked me to go over on Thursday evening to pamper her.

However, before I do this, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what I can and can't do in this situation.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks xxx

Hiya Carole,
I would not make a decision until you have spoken to the lady in question. Perhaps a luxury manicure or pedicure will be perfect, But if the lady really wanted gels i would personally do them for her. I had a auntie who had terminal cancer and I can remember her saying i wan't to carry on as normal and do everything i can.
So if she would really love beautiful nail enhancements and can sit comfortably, Why Not let her have them.

Hi guys

One of my best clients is actually terminally ill with Cancer, I have been doing her nails now for about six months. Most Cancer patients have come to terms with the fact that they are dying, and in my clients case, she really is just living for the moment. Just treat her like a princess, and respect her wishes as to which service she would like. My client enjoys a gel overlay and is aware that her Chemo may play havock with it's staying power, but it is what she enjoys most.

These clients are really special people, and I will be very sad when mine passes away. However, she has already told me to make sure all at her funeral are wearing pink, and that includes her nails.

Best wishes

Thanks for all of your advice.

I spoke to the client last night and she has decided to go for gel overlays on her natural nails. I'm a bit nervous about it but fingers crossed she will be happy with them and will feel pampered and relaxed.

Thanks again. xxx

Hi there!

I know it's not the same thing as I am not terminally ill (thank God!) and I'm certainly not making light of that situation but after my recent 'jaunt' in Bolton Royal Infirmary (God bless em...) I didn't care what my hair looked like, I didn't care what my face looked like, I didn't even care I was wearing George at Asda £10 PJ's but boy o boy did I care what my nails looked like! I think illness or no illness you still carry with you the same passions that make you feel just that little bit better about yourself, be that a facial, massage or nails. Good for you chick you have no idea how much better you will make this lady feel. J xxx

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who helped me out with this one. My appointment with my client was last Thursday, and I was so nervous. I felt a bit thrown in at the deep end! Not only was she going to be one of my first 'proper' clients (i.e. someone that I did not previously know) but she was also seriously ill. I was so determined to do a good job that I got myself into a bit of a tizz!

Anyway, as I mentioned above, the client and I had agreed to do natural gel overlays. However, when I arrived, she said that she had changed her mind and asked nicely whether I would be prepared to do gel extensions. She said she had had them before and so we fully aware of what may happen due to her illness and medication. So, I agreed. I just wanted her to feel pampered and special.

The appointment went so well, and I was so pleased with the result. It took quite a long time as she was in quite a bit of pain and so we paused for a while for her. She told me all about her cancer, and it really opened my eyes. She has been suffering for over 5 years now, and listening to her talking about things, really put things into perspective.

Not only was it a successful appointment, but it also opened my eyes to a lot of things.

And, I got my first ever tip too! Her husband was treating her for her birthday and he gave me £10.00 extra! I was so so chuffed. She has also called me today to thank me again and tell me how pleased she is with her nails. She also said that lots of people have been admiring them too!

This has given me a real boost and so I wanted to share this with you guys and thank you for giving me the confidence to go ahead and do her nails in the first place.

Thanks for all of your support. xxx

caroleloftus said:
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who helped me out with this one. My appointment with my client was last Thursday, and I was so nervous. I felt a bit thrown in at the deep end! Not only was she going to be one of my first 'proper' clients (i.e. someone that I did not previously know) but she was also seriously ill. I was so determined to do a good job that I got myself into a bit of a tizz!

Anyway, as I mentioned above, the client and I had agreed to do natural gel overlays. However, when I arrived, she said that she had changed her mind and asked nicely whether I would be prepared to do gel extensions. She said she had had them before and so we fully aware of what may happen due to her illness and medication. So, I agreed. I just wanted her to feel pampered and special.

The appointment went so well, and I was so pleased with the result. It took quite a long time as she was in quite a bit of pain and so we paused for a while for her. She told me all about her cancer, and it really opened my eyes. She has been suffering for over 5 years now, and listening to her talking about things, really put things into perspective.

Not only was it a successful appointment, but it also opened my eyes to a lot of things.

And, I got my first ever tip too! Her husband was treating her for her birthday and he gave me £10.00 extra! I was so so chuffed. She has also called me today to thank me again and tell me how pleased she is with her nails. She also said that lots of people have been admiring them too!

This has given me a real boost and so I wanted to share this with you guys and thank you for giving me the confidence to go ahead and do her nails in the first place.

To Caz from Caz: well done you for making this very special woman feel even more special. I go once a fortnight to do two ladies nails at a nursing home and i really feel i do some good when i do them. They so enjoy it!

If she's dying anyway, i'm sure you can't make it worse. PAMPER HER! and make her feel sooo special.

this thread brought to mind of of former clients. I remember the first time i saw her, (i work in a fairly high end salon/spa so much of the clientel is well to do) i saw her in the waiting area with her big glasses so thin the wind could kill her, dripping in gold jewlery that almost looked theatrical on her small body. i still remeber all the negative things i thought in my first impression. then as she was getting her pedi she bagan talking to another client. they both had cancer. the one was a mother of 2 young kids, she was in remmision.my client was dying. she actually lived in texas but was up in ny indefiantly recieving treatments. her husband works for homeland security so he was still in texas. i remeber thinking how sad she was alone here dying. all the people who knew this beautiful, graceful intelligant woman were watching her waste away. she told me how she wears all her jewlery and how each month shes ok she buys herself another piece of oversized, overpriced jewlery. every once in a while she would dissapear and then tell me that she was in hospital. when i last saw her she was sick and going back to hospital, her husband was here and she wanted her nails done. its been 6 months and i havent heard from her. whenever i think of her i instantly appreciate my day (even if its bad one) makes me thankful
im glad you made her happy,

I bet it made your client feel so pampered and special, and we all no we only feel totally complete when our nails look spot on. It is good you can see things in a different light, makes you more aware. They do say live your life as if it your last then you have many more special moments to remember.

Take care xx

Hi There,
Sorry if im repeating any of the previous posts. :rolleyes:

I just feel quiet passionatley about this, my dad currently has terminal cancer, and he is just living for the day. He used to moan about the smell of the acrylic before he was ill but nowadays things like that dont bother him. He takes the view of life as "what makes you bad makes you better" he see's it as he is going to die anyway and who cares if he has another cigar or another can of beer ? I guess the same will go for your lady, do whatever she wants - and the end of the day treat her like a princess. Give her a lovely relaxing manicure and lower arm massage, be gentle and tell her to let you know if she is uncomfortable. My dad gets so tired and I dont think he could sit through 45 minutes of extensions - just from a lucidity perspective - but just play it by ear and see what she wants. Once I qualify I will be going to Hospices and volunteering my services, many hospices for cancer patients have beauticians, aromatherapists and massures go in on a dayly basis, its excellent pallative care.

Sorry if ive rambled - but i thought if i could help just a little ....

Hi Louchia..

So sorry to hear about your dad.

Regrding that message left... it was left on August 2004. But your message will help for others who may be in the same situation :)

hi

i had this situation just before xmas.
My friend was terminally ill in bed and had the worst nails ever after using stick ons.

I made the decision to put her a full set on (which i woulsdnt have done if someone with nails in that condition came to me)

I am glad i did this because a week later she passed on.
She couldnt get dressed, etc and she was a very glam proud lady, i just think now atleast she had her nails done (hand and toes) and passed on feeling a little womanly !!!

Tracy

my nan died recently of cancer and all she wanted to do was to pamper herself and do as much as she could to feel better she always had manicures and pedicures aswell because of her diabetes i would suggest to use things that smell nice and make her feel comfortable just try your best thats all you can do.
good luck let us know how it goes

caroleloftus said:

Wow this thread made me tearful, I know it's from 2004 but I just wanted to say well done for being so professional and caring with this lovely lady.

These kind of stories and pregnancy hormones don't mix! :cry:

Well done! i think no matter how bad people are feeling they like to look well.

my nana is a reall glamour-hammer (as my dad calls her!) and she makes me promise that when she dies :cry: I do her nails & make-up & dont' let anyone see her until she looks perfect :) !

Latest posts

Back