Advice needed, unsure what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat2610

Reaction score
It’s a long one so bare with me. I’ve been in my current salon for about 4 years employed, I have a fairly steady client base, but there’s a lot of problems, the salon is cold, it needs redecorating badly, we have problems with the boss diverting the calls to her mobile and booking in clients wrong and also orders arent always kept on top of, a few other small problems/improvements too. However it’s in a good location, I walk it takes me 5 mins from home, and as I said I have a good client base. I’ve been offered a self employed position at another salon, it’s in a smaller town about a 15 minutes drive from my house, I’ll be getting 59% commission and supplying all my colour/products/foil etc. I was all set to go but when I handed in my notice my current boss offered me 60% commission and my colour supplied (I’ll still supply a few things, bleach, foil etc). I explained all the problems mentioned above and she said she would fix it all as she doesn’t want to lose me, I said I don’t want to turn down this opportunity based on just her word and she’s offered to book decorators/buy heaters, basically change everything I’ve mentioned in a meeting with me before I make any decisions to move to prove it will happen.

Now here’s the problem. I’ve told the new salon I’m handing my notice in 2 days ago, so I can’t leave them waiting much longer, I also don’t want to throw away working at a salon with a team I absolutely love, I’m established with a client base, and have no petrol costs/travel problems. I’ve got no idea what to do, or how to deal with this! I don’t want to be unprofessional to either salon and of course I don’t want to make the wrong decision!

Are you stuck on deciding whether to go or stay, because it sort of sounds like you'd like to stay?

Is your current job employed or self employed?

Are you stuck on deciding whether to go or stay, because it sort of sounds like you'd like to stay?

Is your current job employed or self employed?

I’d love to stay!! I’m employed currently, but I’ve looked at my figures for the year and I wouldn’t be better off self employed, however I believe that if my boss makes the improvements mentioned above we would be a lot busier, but I’m worried she won’t..

I'm a bit confused as to why you supply things if you are employed?

I don’t believe in wrong decisions as such because you don’t have a crystal ball and you can’t know for certain how the other option would have turned out. Therefore, I prefer to think of them as choices to make. That way, if things don’t go to plan, rather than focus on the negative aspects, you accept it, learn from it and move forwards.

I’d love to stay!! I’m employed currently, but I’ve looked at my figures for the year and I wouldn’t be better off self employed, however I believe that if my boss makes the improvements mentioned above we would be a lot busier, but I’m worried she won’t..

In your situation, I’d be very wary of empty promises because these are issues that the salon owner should be on top of regardless of her staffing situation.
If the orders aren’t currently being managed properly, what changes will she make to ensure they will be in the future?
Redecoration costs money so does she have a budget for this?
Why is the salon cold? Are there adequate heating facilities that are not switched on enough or does it need some additional investment?
What ongoing training does the salon currently provide?
Is she worried that some of your clients will follow you to the new salon and just panicking about losing revenue?

On the positive side, you have an existing clientele and no travel issues and good relations with your colleagues.

In the new salon, you’re going to have to work very hard at the beginning to build your column. You’ll need to learn to advertise your services, build a website/social media presence, manage your client records and keep track of your costs, sort out your own tax and pension arrangements.
Are you excited by this?

If you’re quite young and haven’t worked in many salons, then I’d generally recommend moving just to increase your work experience and improve your inner confidence. If the new salon has a good owner/manager, you can see how running a successful salon should be done. Leaving somewhere where you feel comfortable is very hard but if you can start from scratch elsewhere and make a success of it, you will draw on that experience in other aspects of your life when you face tough choices.

Latest posts

Back