Advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LearnerLaura

Reaction score
Hey I’m a new member !

I’m not qualified at all, I’ve just paid my deposit for a acrylic nail course in Newcastle I’m planning on moving to Glasgow in February and then also doing some NSI courses especially with the E file as I don’t think I’d feel comfortable using it without real in depth instruction.

I bought a nail trainer hand and the edge acrylic kit and the nails I did are awful.

So hopefully after doing the course I’ve booked they’ll improve.

I have a few questions

1. I feel like looking at the kit some techs have acquiring it will take years - what things should I focus on buying.

2. What acrylic system do you use ?

3. How long did it take for you to gain interest in your work ?

4. How do you build clients ?

Add anything you think would be helpful <3

Laura

xx

Also what to charge as well as a newbie after I feel comfortable enough to charge x

I started off using NSI products and they are a very good place to start.
After my training I went on to use them for a year or so and only changed brands that could offer me more one on one support as there was no NSI educators in my area.

I don't know anything about The Edge products but I would suggest you don't use them and wait for your class to start. Products can vary quite a lot and they don't always apply the same.
It's so hard to not get carried away and caught up in the excitement but you could learn bad habits and instead of just being taught by an instructor you may have to unlearn your techniques.
It's not as simple as dipping your brush in monomer and then the powder, there is a lot more to it than that, which is why the nails you did may have not turned out as you would have liked.
Your educator should teach you many things about application, the correct prep, how to pick up a bead, product ratio, application of acrylic.
Learning these things will teach you how to be successful at applying acrylic nails and them staying on your client.

When it comes to pricing, don't advertise too cheap, in most cases it attracts 'cheap' clients who want everything for nothing and can be right pains in the backside.
The hardest thing will be getting your time perfected. But there is no point rushing just to get it done within a certain time frame. Aim for quality over quantity.
In the beginning I charged a reasonable price but advised my clients I might take longer as I was still learning. I would then give them a bit cheaper prices if they booked in for refills.
Maybe also in the beginning you could find one friend or family member you would be prepared to do for free, just so you can get your practice in.
Trainer hands are great for practicing but it can be so different on a real person, they like to wriggle and move around and you can't turn and twist their fingers as easily as a practice hand.

I hope it all works out for you and good luck on your journey.

Last edited:
I started off using NSI products and they are a very good place to start.
After my training I went on to use them for a year or so and only changed brands that could offer me more one on one support as there was no NSI educators in my area.

I don't know anything about The Edge products but I would suggest you don't use them and wait for your class to start. Products can vary quite a lot and they don't always apply the same.
It's so hard to not get carried away and caught up in the excitement but you could learn bad habits and instead of just being taught by an instructor you may have to unlearn your techniques.
It's not as simple as dipping your brush in monomer and then the powder, there is a lot more to it than that, which is why the nails you did may have not turned out as you would have liked.
Your educator should teach you many things about application, the correct prep, how to pick up a bead, product ratio, application of acrylic.
Learning these things will teach you how to be successful at applying acrylic nails and them staying on your client.

When it comes to pricing, don't advertise too cheap, in most cases it attracts 'cheap' clients who want everything for nothing and can be right pains in the backside.
The hardest thing will be getting your time perfected. But there is no point rushing just to get it done within a certain time frame. Aim for quality over quantity.
In the beginning I charged a reasonable price but advised my clients I might take longer as I was still learning. I would then give them a bit cheaper prices if they booked in for refills.
Maybe also in the beginning you could find one friend or family member you would be prepared to do for free, just so you can get your practice in.
Trainer hands are great for practicing but it can be so different on a real person, they like to wriggle and move around and you can't turn and twist their fingers as easily as a practice hand.

I hope it all works out for you and good luck on your journey.

Thank you so much for your response !

I’ve been binge watching YouTube videos and they make it look so so easy, I got a full set done a few days ago I’m tempted to get them taken off so I can watch how she did it again and get more :D x

Believe me it's not as easy as it looks and it can take a while to perfect.
My instructor told me approx 6-12 months working full time before you get quicker.
It took me about 4 years doing nails part time to perfect my acrylic application..... then I changed over to gel. That was about a year ago and I am still getting there.

Believe me it's not as easy as it looks and it can take a while to perfect.
My instructor told me approx 6-12 months working full time before you get quicker.
It took me about 4 years doing nails part time to perfect my acrylic application..... then I changed over to gel. That was about a year ago and I am still getting there.

I feel like I even struggle sizing the tips :( I tho k the tips that came with the kit are pretty flimsy though

Latest posts

Back