Advice - Non-Nail-Professional

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cara_S

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I firstly want to begin by saying I'm not a nail professional but I love this site as I find it all so fascinating (lurking frequently!) May I also say that I am NOT looking for advice on DIY nail enhancements or any rubbish like that :lol: I leave that to you professionals! Just want a little bit of advice from a professional angle - I'm not sure whether this should be in chit chat, moderators please remove if so.

My own natural nails are in pretty good shape - I take care of them - 'jewels, not tools!', use Creative Solar Oil all the time, and frequently use OPI Nail Envy.

However, as we all know, accidents happen and at the weekend as I was pulling the car seat forward I somehow caught my right hand index finger and heard that sickening snapping sound. There is a tear on one side about a quarter of the way down my nail, about a quarter of a centimetre across, and a purplish line across my nail bed where I assume it was forced back. The tear is too far down to remove, so I cleaned it up and applied a drop of nail glue the next day just as a temporary measure.

Can this be fixed - what would you do? I have never been to a nail salon before for services apart from a french manicure, and I only know what I have read from this site. I go on holiday in 4 weeks time and had been thinking of Bio Gel overlays in french, to save the hassle of painting and repainting whilst on holiday - is this a good or bad idea with the sun/swimming etc, would it last a fortnight? Can this be incorporated into fixing my broken nail?

I live in Aberdeen - any recommendations on where to go? I've read so much on here about non professional salons and bad service, that I really want to get it right. I would love to see someone who is really passionate about their work as many of you guys seem to be.

Apologies again if this is in the wrong section and I would love to receive any responses x

Sorry I can't help with any Aberdeen techs although I am sure you will get some more answers later.

I have covered broken nails with NSI and Calgel with great success previously, my only concern would be "the purplish line" I would not cover if there was severe trauma to the nail:hug:

hth's

Hiya,

I have a salon in Inverness called Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty) and we do Calgel if you can't find a salon in Aberdeen!

It sounds like you will need a silk repair with gel on the nail wih the tear. That will hold it solid until it grows out but as said above it might not be advisable if there is significant trauma to the nail.

The gel will certainly stay fine for a fortnight, most of our clients come back monthly for infils but if you opt for french in the gel you will need to use a uv topcoat to stop the gel yellowing on your holidays.

I can't recommend any salons in Aberdeen but if you contact Calgel directly they will have a list of salons in your area and should be able to help you out.

Hope this helps a bit
Lilac

Hi Cara, you certainly seem to have given yourself a sore one there! I would apply an overlay on top of your natural nails, not sure about other companies products but I know creative do a flawless pink which would cover up the purple brusing on the nail, hope you manage to find a nail bar in abeerdeen xx

Many thanks girls for your replies, looks like I will be phoning round a few places/scouring the yellow pages :) It's good to know that there is hopefully something that can be done. Lilacm - wishing your salon was closer! :)

Latest posts

Back