Advice on blending/covering grey

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc2233

Reaction score
Hi
So I’m a qualified mobile hairdresser but need help with my own hair. Just need another persons professional eyes
And with this Lockdown boredom i need a lift!
I have been tinting roots for a while now 6/7.11 but wanted to go lighter to help with keeping up with my roots which are now 90% white around my temple and probably 60% at the darkest part at the back.
I did highlights a couple of weeks ago and used igora vibrance 9.10 on my roots which came out ok.
I just feel overall it’s really a mish mash as it’s still too warm at the back and too at the front which I can fix
I know another set of highlights will do the trick and I’ll be able to lift and tone out the remaining warmth but I’m stuck at what to do with my roots
It’ll be blonder obvs so don’t want to go too dark as I’ll still have my grey/white regrowth coming through.
Igora vibrance is meant to be used with 30 vol so it lifts my natural dark hair to a warm tone so whilst it’s ok in some places it makes it look warm in others Ideally I need something that will cover my grey without any lift which I’m struggling to find.
Any ideas!
See pic below
6453730D-D452-4005-BA9E-40041679CEEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Igora vibrance is meant to be used with 13vol or 6vol not 30vol??

If the back lifts warmer to the front you are going to have to formulate your colours different for the same end result.

You said its too warm at the the back and too at the front... im assuming you meant to cool at the front?

If it is 90% white at the front you will need to mix a more neutral tone or a warmer tone to stop it going to cool and to match the back.

Vibrance is schwarzkopf's semi permanent range so if you want the back cooler you need to lift it with igora royal 9.1 and the relevant developer. If you need it cooler you can add some e-1 to add extra coolness. If you still aren't getting the required lift then the highlifts 10 or 12 lines will give you more lift again and they have 10-21 and 12-11 to cool things down as they lift.

Sorry I meant absolute not vibrance hence the 30 vol
And apologies I don’t think I explained very well!
Yeah I’ve got the lifting /toning covered.
its just help on what to do with my grey regrowth.
I usually have a bit of root shadow and I also don’t want to be doing full works every few weeks to cover my grey regrowth.
If I use a permanent base 9.10 absolute like I did it’ll shadow my root but I’ll get a band btwn my light blonde highlights and and my grey/white regrowth so it’ll look stripey

so I’m in a cover/blend grey/no lift quandry with what product to use
I’ve just seen a vid using Lanza Demi gloss 06P/09P so may try that if I can find out where I can get Lanza.
would redken shades Eq work?
Or should I highlift my roots and then shadow with shades Eq?

Sorry I meant absolute not vibrance hence the 30 vol
And apologies I don’t think I explained very well!
Yeah I’ve got the lifting /toning covered.
its just help on what to do with my grey regrowth.
I usually have a bit of root shadow and I also don’t want to be doing full works every few weeks to cover my grey regrowth.
If I use a permanent base 9.10 absolute like I did it’ll shadow my root but I’ll get a band btwn my light blonde highlights and and my grey/white regrowth so it’ll look stripey

so I’m in a cover/blend grey/no lift quandry with what product to use
I’ve just seen a vid using Lanza Demi gloss 06P/09P so may try that if I can find out where I can get Lanza.
would redken shades Eq work?
Or should I highlift my roots and then shadow with shades Eq?

Ohhh, that makes much more sense now :)

if you're just looking to blend the grey without any lifting and like schwarzkopf you can use their vibrance range 6-1 and 9.5-1

redken shades eq would also work, they are really sheer so would blend nicely, the benefit of these are that they are acidic and are zero lift so wont shift any of your natural pigment.

Thankyou
Will try the vibrance first I think

Latest posts

Back