Advice on covering natural resistant ginger

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottydolly

Reaction score
question for you all. . . my sister has the coursest hair i have yet to come across (in my family and beyond) it is naturally red and rather unruly unless straightened. now god knows why she wants to change it cos i think her hair is beutiful and she is 30 and has survived this long without fightin nature, but she wants it a nice mid brown. problem is, nothing touches it. . . first attempt ever, as we were sure she would hate it we tried a colour touch, half 5/0 and half 6/0, barely touched it. so next time some time later we tried to tint it using 5/0 with blue ash tone to try kill the warmth while darkening. . . barely touched it and washed out again.
i am beggining to wonder if her hair has such a tightly packed cuticle that i may need to treat it as a ridiculously reisitant grey and pre soften. . . anyone came across this before? im stumped. . doing it tomoro so any advie much appreciated xxxxx

Hey.
My best friend has what sounds like almost identical hair!
Its very red/copper naturally and is tight like afro curly almost but also her cuticle sits really tightly in her hair shaft.
The only colours we ever tried on a more normal base were 4 and 5 mixed with some double ash to kill some warmth.It came up a nice rich but deep colour,however even with pre softening her hair it practically slides off within a week!

The last time we coloured i went on one and mixed the red/copper red fiery red,mahogany red with extra red concentrate and a little base 4 mocha.
It came out a beautiful rich deep but red toned colour.Really shiney and lusturous.

x

well yes i think this time i have told her im not gonna try and fight the ginge, it is mightier than i, but am gonna try working with it but taking it down a notch, so im gonna pre soften and thickly apply 4/0 5/0 and 5/35 and hope that it takes it down a peg or two :) x

Oooooh her hair sounds tough!
I am a natural redhead.... When I was dark we use to use 5A poss with a bit of 5N, with 20vol. that covered fine, although it was Always a tint, never a semi... As we didn't do semis in the salon!
Is she certain she wants to go brown? I always remember my regrowth being awful!x x

How bout trying 55/0 :)

I've not tried this yet but I've been told in the past that if someone has tough hair wash it first with a deep cleansing shampoo no conditioner then blast hair dry and apply the colour x

hey guys, thanks for replies, i sorted it HAHA. . . as said we had tried everything so i did what i instinctively thought and treated it like grey hair, good old school presoftening and then tinted on top. there is still alot of warmth but its a lovely medium copper mahogany :) very pleased with it, i spoke her out of fighting nature and trying to eradicate all warmth as i felt tryin to go flatter would have made her look washed out. we both loves it haha x

I've not tried this yet but I've been told in the past that if someone has tough hair wash it first with a deep cleansing shampoo no conditioner then blast hair dry and apply the colour x

Weve always done this.Works brilliantly on resistent hair x

Latest posts

Back