advice on doing gel nails after l&p

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jewel-it

Reaction score
i have always done l&P and i love them but i see that there is a market for gel nails.
But i just wanted to see if any of you have done the same l&p and then done the gel nails
If so my questions are

1st do you think it was easy to pick it up from doing the l&P ?
2nd Do you like it better then l&p ?
3rd what are the pros and cons ?

thank you for you help XXX:confused:

What do you think the market is for gels in your area? Have clients asked for this instead of L&P?

I dont do L&P at the minute but I have had clients ask for it so that is the reason why I will take this on. I believe that each tech has there own reasons for using one system over another so what suits one doesn't necessarily suit another.

i think you would find it easy to pick up if you get the right training.
you will already know a lot about the structure, prep, finishing ect. from your experience with l/p acrylic.
so you will be able to concentrate on the application of the gel. it is entirely different from l/p.

i like both systems, variety is the spice of life.

i think the biggest pro's for gel is that you dont have to race against setting times when you apply it and it is odour free.
cons.. i cant think of any... maybe its a little more costly than l/p but it depends on brands.

I had been doing L&P for about 13 yrs and realized that so many people were asking for gel. As the old saying goes, I couldn't beat them, had to join them...lol. Anyways I still concider myself an L&P tech but enjoy doing gel nails as it is a challenge to me to get better and increase my confidence. I really want to get into the Nail Art with gel now, just need to save up for some personal tutoring. My biggest 'beef' is I just can't get my smiles as crisp and perfect as I can with L&P and that drives me nuts....lol

Its a completely different system, a whole new way of application!
If you persevere with it, of course you will pick it up!
I dont get much call for Gels, where I am, mainly for toes, about 15 ish% of my clients are Gel, the rest are L&P!
Its great though, I use Brisa Gel by CND and I love it!
xx

THank you for your advice !!
oey where i am there are lots of gel mobile techs and a few hair salon that do gel !! when i opened my salon last year i hoped i would do well as i dont do the same and can offer somethink different!!
well the problem is clients do not like change and its hard to convert. dont get me wrong i have done well but i seem to get people calling up for gel all the time and cant get them to change, one of the reasons is clients have been told l&p is bad for you etc etc etc and gel is ssooooooooo much better ( some times i just wish i could put the phone down ) when i try to tell them that its not some convert and some dont well i want all to convert.
and like nail chic said If i couldn't beat them, have to join them.

I trained in Creative L&P and then converted to Brisa gel. It seemed strange at first but within days I was comfortable (if far from expert) in application and I now absolutely love it:)

Latest posts

Back