Advice on greasy hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coppertop

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me asking but i was just after a little advice.
I seem to be having a problem with my hair being greasy. I wash it either every day or every 2 days cos it just looks nasty otherwise.
I use a shampoo for my hair type but i see no change.
It's starting to bug me big time now.
I have long hair too if this makes any difference.
:irked:

Try this thread

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/56442-greasy-hair-please-help.html

the more you wash the more oils your hair is going to produce. Apparently, the shampoo and cond. you are using is not right for your hair.

What are you using???
Thanks for the link hun, i'll have a good read now.
I use L'OREAL elvive for normal to greasy but i think i need a professional shampoo and conditioner, i do not know where to start!

I am getting a short cut next week just so i can be free from some hair for a while, lol.

My hair isn't thin though.

I had the same problem, I asked one of the instructors at my school and he told me to massage the scalp well when you shampoo and use as little conditioner as possible. I have been doing that to my hair and it has helped a lot. He said if that doesn't work do the same thing but shampoo your hair twice with each shower.Hope this helps let me know.

Mandy, greasy hair can easily be sorted with the right shampoo, you do not need to get your long hair cut off if you dont want to.
The product you need to ude is L'oreal Dual Action shampoo, you will only get this in a l'oreal salon, but it is fantastic.
Your hair has cuticles on each strand that are a bit like looking at roof tiles, when you get greasy roots and dryer ends the dual action gets the grease off the roots and spreads it evenly along the roof tiles making it less greasy and prolonging you from having to shampoo so often.
You will still need conditioner, but the salon will advise you when they see you what one you need, also it will cost a lot more than buying a shop shampoo, this is because it is more concerntrated, so only use the size of a 50p amount of shampoo, and you will need to shampoo twice, and then only apply the conditioner to the mid lengths and ends of hair.
P.s proffessional shampoos dont lather as much as shop ones, use the size of 50p or you are wasting it by adding more.

Hope this helps you.:)

Mandy, greasy hair can easily be sorted with the right shampoo, you do not need to get your long hair cut off if you dont want to.
The product you need to ude is L'oreal Dual Action shampoo, you will only get this in a l'oreal salon, but it is fantastic.
Your hair has cuticles on each strand that are a bit like looking at roof tiles, when you get greasy roots and dryer ends the dual action gets the grease off the roots and spreads it evenly along the roof tiles making it less greasy and prolonging you from having to shampoo so often.
You will still need conditioner, but the salon will advise you when they see you what one you need, also it will cost a lot more than buying a shop shampoo, this is because it is more concerntrated, so only use the size of a 50p amount of shampoo, and you will need to shampoo twice, and then only apply the conditioner to the mid lengths and ends of hair.
P.s proffessional shampoos dont lather as much as shop ones, use the size of 50p or you are wasting it by adding more.

Hope this helps you.:)
Thanks, i'll do a search and find a local salon that stocks it. Or i could maybe buy it from salon services?
I'm still gonna have my hair chopped cos to be honest i need a change and my hair is just so long.
Thanks all for your help. :hug:

Finally got round to buying some kerastase shampoo and conditioner.
Had my first was with it today and the lady from the salon explained what i should be doing. She said it will take about a week before i notice a big difference but i shouldn't need to wash every day after that.
I must say that my hair feel loads better already and i am only going to have to use the straighteners on the front which is even better.
Will let you know how it goes.

i know you want to rid of your greasy hair but in the mean while why dont u use batiste dry shampoo (original)? its absoloutly brilliant and i cant live without it. my fringe gets greasy the same night i wash it in th morning. x

Where can i get that from hun?

I have very greasy hair - I used to wash it everyday when I was a teenager and it made the problem worse so the longer I can leave it between washes the better. I have short hair and can get away without using conditioner - it makes my hair worse. When using conditioner don't apply it directly to your scalp and don't use a lot. Also the weather really affects my hair. I know when it's going to rain because my hair becomes a grease pit and I can't do anything with it.

Make sure you allways wash your hair twice lots of us tend to only shampoo once which contributes to the greasiness because
first wash lifts the dirt
second removes the dirt
only condition from mid length to ends and dont massage the conditioner in...conditioning is important as its an alkaline and closes the cuticle, if you dont use conditioner your hair will feel rough as the cuticle is still open.
hth helps a little

if the state of your hair has actualy changed recently ( ie it didnt used to be greasy but al of a sudden it is), if the advice already given doesnt work, i wold also recomend looking at your diet, exersize and stress levels. The hair and scalp act as a ' weather beacon' as to what is going on with the rest of you.

As far as shampoos and conditioners are concerned, always use professional, you get what you pay for! a gentle cleanser to shampoo followed by a quick blot with a towel on your mid lengths to ends ( your hair is like a sponge.... try getting a sponge full of water to absorb conditioner and see how much of it goes in!) and then a good quality conditioner ( as recomended by a good hairdresser who has actually seen your hair and scalp and talked to you about your life style etc)

try Phytocedrat it is a plant based professional hair product for oily hair

hey
the more you massage your head the more it encourages your hair to produce the oils, right?
oh, also, if its blonde hair you have, sounds a bit crazzzy but try combing talcum powder through it for a quick fix x

Also, when my hair was really bad, every couple of weeks I would use a clarifying shampoo.

I too get greasy hair, I take alot of suplements for my diet, ie omega3 oil, evening primrose oil, star flower oil etc and of course... these are all oils, I haven't taken them for a while and my hair is definately less greasy, just a thought, if you took any of these 'oiy' suplements?

Latest posts

Back