Advice on hair colour please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairet

Reaction score
Hi Hair Geeks

I'm in a bit of a difficult situation. My sister in law colours my hair - she is a hairdresser. I used to have my hair dyed blonde, but as you can see by my aviator, I'm now dark brown. My normal hair colour is mid brown.

I've asked her if its possible for me to have some red low lights put into my hair, but she has said that the colour won't take on my hair. She won't even discuss it with me.

I can't really go anywhere else, as I don't want to cause a family feud, but just wondered what you could recommend, and if it is possible, and how I'd go about it.

She uses Koleston colours.

Thanks for any advice you can offer me.:hug:

Hi Hair Geeks

I've asked her if its possible for me to have some red low lights put into my hair, but she has said that the colour won't take on my hair. She won't even discuss it with me.

Unless your hair is extremely damaged, I am not understanding why she would say your hair won't take. From another thread called Wella Magma I am understanding that that colour line lifts and deposits. Ask her about it.
To me it sounds like you may have caught her on a bad day and she just didn't want to even think about it. ;)

Hi Hair Geeks

I'm in a bit of a difficult situation. My sister in law colours my hair - she is a hairdresser. I used to have my hair dyed blonde, but as you can see by my aviator, I'm now dark brown. My normal hair colour is mid brown.

I can't really go anywhere else, as I don't want to cause a family feud, but just wondered what you could recommend, and if it is possible, and how I'd go about it.

My hair is similar to yours and for a good while I had red lowlights with a brown base colour and for the brightest red tint which didnt fade as much my hairdresser used kolleston Intensive Red range I think the numbers are 55/46, 66/46, 77/46, depending on the depth. I really liked the red and had it for a long time. your hair may have a build up of colour and thats why she is saying it may not take, but I think give it a go, with some foils chunky red lowlights.another suggestion is the Magma range which lightens and adds colour at the same time and I know they do red shades, try a strand test first. I havent used Magma myself but am having it done soon although im changing from reds/dark myself and am adding caramel tones now. suggest to your sis in law and see what she says. Difficult situation Im sure being your S.I.L but all you can do is ask, or suggest for example "we could try the intensive reds, and if it doesnt take so well, at least we have tried?" Or something like that? I must admit I always try diff things out and I sometimes suggest to my hairdresser. hths

get her to try L'oreal majicontrast red or magenta red if you want a pinky red with 20 vol, they are specially designed for coloured hair of a base 5 and below.
Amy x

Vero Ultra bleach makes several selections of red, red mahogany and copper shades. They are also designed to work over artificial pigment. We have used L'Oreal majicontrast as well, but have liked the results of the vero ultra better. They seem to be brighter and hold longer.

Latest posts

Back