Advice on mobile beauty therapist - equipment needed and facial range

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah1984

Reaction score
I am now looking to start going mobile part time whilst I complete my NVQ3. I already have a portable bed and my own wax pot. I was just wondering if other mobile therapists have their own mobile manicure station and stool? I have seen some on the Sallys site and they look quite good. Or do you use the clients table e.g. kitchen table? I could see this being quite uncomfortable as if it isn't the right shape table or if it is too big, you have to sit on an angle, which causes me back ache etc.

Also for mobile geeks, do you offer facials? I would love to offer this, but I am not sure which facial range is suitable for me - cheap enough but still good quality!

Hope you can help!

before i set up my treatment rooms i did work mobile and dtill do the odd bit here and there, i would do mobile facials but have never actually been asked, i think people quite like the idea of getting away from home if they can for that sort of treatment, i just had a small portable foldout table and used the clients chairs, or if i had multiple treatments using my couch i would do the manicure straight across that, which is what i do in salon now, although i am thinking about getting a separate nail station.
Skincare range wise Eve Taylor is very affordable, gentle yet very effective range, with alot of support products, pm me if you'd like some price detail, hth hun xx

You could always use the clients ironing board as a manicure table, they work quite well! Cover it with a towel first though.
xx:hug:xx

I would agree with Esther Lou that Eve Taylor is a good range for mobile therapists. I do a lot of facials mobile, they're one of my most popular treatments.
Re the table, I have my own, and my own stool, that way I know I'm going to be working at the right height. It also doesn't matter if something gets spilled on it!
If I was booked to do a facial and manicure at the same appointment I'd do the manicure across the couch rather than take my table. HTH! x

I managed to get a folding table, the sort that you eat your dinner off while watching telly. It only cost me a few pounds. I looked for a while to find a suitable one as most of them are too small or too low. But this one works very well for manicures.

Thanks for all the replies. They help a lot.

I am definitly going to look at a mobile manicure table and stool, so that I don't need to lug my couch about for every treatment.

Interested in the Eve Taylor range, will pm you Esther.

Thanks.

:)

Hannah
I'm going mobile in just a few weeks and I will be offering all treatments.

For facials I'm going to use Eve Taylor too, PHD waxing, all eye lash treatments, make up, manicures, pedicures and Creative Nails.

I have a portable couch, mag lamp and steamer, a folding manicure table and daylight lamp, foot spa, and I think anything else I might need too!!

The only thing I don't have are chairs - I'm assuming that the clients will have those!!

I do now have everything in place but in order to be able to offer all the treatments I have spent a small fortune. :irked: Having said that I can't wait to start.:)

Good luck!:hug:

I bet your so excited Debs. I went onto the eve taylor website and to register they want your certificate and FHT or BABTAC membership number. I probably wont get my certificate until the end of the summer as they take a while to come through :(

I use a mobile nail station and I love it, bought mine from Welcome to Salons Direct I have posted the link before on another thread so I would do a search, you will bring up loads !

I also offer Facials mobile and was using Ahava products. They don't have a minimum order and are reasonably priced, you also get LOADS of goodies with opening order.

My advice would be to choose a range that you are going to be using on yourself, if you don't then your either going to have to lie to clients when asked or admit you use something else which imo doesn't look to good !

Depending on your range be careful when pricing Facials, if you have a budget range you can't, charge the same as salons that use premium ranges and it can also affect you if you upgrade your products. This has happened to me, I charge £30 (in salon) for a 1hr Ahava Facial and now I have a more expensive range I need to increase my anti-ageing facials by an extra £10 if I want to make the same hourly rate but I will then be charging similar prices to the spas in my area, and obviously im not a spa.

Have been mobile for 6 years, never bothered with a manicure table. Most clients have their own table. IMO its money you don't need to spend. Don't shell out loads as you will take even longer to re-coup it in the future. Try putting it into advertising instead. Then you can buy things when the money starts coming in. Hth's xx

Have been mobile for 6 years, never bothered with a manicure table. Most clients have their own table. IMO its money you don't need to spend. Don't shell out loads as you will take even longer to re-coup it in the future. Try putting it into advertising instead. Then you can buy things when the money starts coming in. Hth's xx

Initially I wasn't going to bother with a manicure table either until it was pointed out to me that there a risks when using the clientsd dining/kitchen table. Spillages of polish or remover which could permanently damage it.

For the price of a new, purpose table from ebay I have absolute peace of mind.

Just something extra to think about.:hug:

It arrived today and it is great! A great size, folds up, convenient draw. Yes it may weigh a bit heavier than expected but it is really sturdy and I'm going to get a trolley for it so I don't break my back.

I personally think it looks more professional to have your own equipment. I have done manicures on friends at their homes and it just doesn't feel as professional and it is awkward sitting on some chairs and twisting your back to get the right angle.

It arrived today and it is great! A great size, folds up, convenient draw. Yes it may weigh a bit heavier than expected but it is really sturdy and I'm going to get a trolley for it so I don't break my back.

I personally think it looks more professional to have your own equipment. I have done manicures on friends at their homes and it just doesn't feel as professional and it is awkward sitting on some chairs and twisting your back to get the right angle.

You are right it does look more professional and if i had a manicure at home ive only got a round dining room table and we would all be askew.I know some geeks say about ironing boards but if i had someone come to my house and they said for me to get my ironing board out to be honest i wouldn't like it.

You are right it does look more professional and if i had a manicure at home ive only got a round dining room table and we would all be askew.I know some geeks say about ironing boards but if i had someone come to my house and they said for me to get my ironing board out to be honest i wouldn't like it.

Obviously a proper mani table would look more professional then using the ironing board, but when a client wants a mani, pedi, waxing, facial etc. in one visit having to get your couch, a stool, a trolley, a mani table, plus all your kit out of the car it just makes life a bit easier for the mobile therapist. Turning your nose up at a therapist asking to use your ironing board to do your manicure on is rather snobbish. Some people who are just starting out maybe can't afford a professional table and stool straight away so saying you wouldn't like it is a bit off really. If sitting at a manicure table is more important then the quality of the manicure then perhaps visiting a salon would be more appropriate?
I'm sorry for if I come across as rude it's nothing personal, but I wouldn't be at all bothered what the therapist used to do my manicure on as long as the treatment was of good quality.

Obviously a proper mani table would look more professional then using the ironing board, but when a client wants a mani, pedi, waxing, facial etc. in one visit having to get your couch, a stool, a trolley, a mani table, plus all your kit out of the car it just makes life a bit easier for the mobile therapist. Turning your nose up at a therapist asking to use your ironing board to do your manicure on is rather snobbish.

If I was going to a client who wanted all that I would do it all on my couch.

I've spoken to the lovely people at Eve Taylor and they have sent me out some info and samples. The range seems lovely and affordable. Just need to decide which starter pack I want now!

If I was going to a client who wanted all that I would do it all on my couch.

I've spoken to the lovely people at Eve Taylor and they have sent me out some info and samples. The range seems lovely and affordable. Just need to decide which starter pack I want now!

That would make much more sense!!!
xx:hug:xx

Obviously a proper mani table would look more professional then using the ironing board, but when a client wants a mani, pedi, waxing, facial etc. in one visit having to get your couch, a stool, a trolley, a mani table, plus all your kit out of the car it just makes life a bit easier for the mobile therapist. Turning your nose up at a therapist asking to use your ironing board to do your manicure on is rather snobbish. Some people who are just starting out maybe can't afford a professional table and stool straight away so saying you wouldn't like it is a bit off really. If sitting at a manicure table is more important then the quality of the manicure then perhaps visiting a salon would be more appropriate?
I'm sorry for if I come across as rude it's nothing personal, but I wouldn't be at all bothered what the therapist used to do my manicure on as long as the treatment was of good quality.

Its nothing to do with being a snob.Its my ironing board thats used for ironing my familys clothes i dont want it used for nails.I dont want nail dust and filings on it getting on my childrens clothes and skin.

Its nothing to do with being a snob.Its my ironing board thats used for ironing my familys clothes i dont want it used for nails.I dont want nail dust and filings on it getting on my childrens clothes and skin.

Which is why you would cover it first as i said. Besides, you don't really get a lot of dust when you do a manicure which is what i was suggesting it was used for.
Some mobile nail techs use clients kitchen tables for doing thier nails on so you could say the same thing about that but you specifically turned your nose up at the bloody ironing board.
I've said enough this is a bit silly really.:smack:

I totally agree !

I am of the opinion that an ironing board is for......ironing !!

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/49217-do-u-mobile-girls-have-nail-table-take.html

This thread gave some brilliant views on the subject.

I know some people can't afford to buy a nail station, but you wouldn't go to a salon and expect to see a nail technician using the reception desk as a nail station because they couldn't afford to have both.

Latest posts

Back